Metal...

Rick told me that the only difference in the 2 amps is the voicing. Gain is identical and if you find your Metal has more, it's likely because of pre amp tubes and/or component tolerances.

johnnyjellybean":56icoql8 said:
Rick told me that the only difference in the 2 amps is the voicing. Gain is identical and if you find your Metal has more, it's likely because of pre amp tubes and/or component tolerances.

That may be true, overall, but with both Metals I've owned, the taper on the gain pot seemed to be much less gradual than the Modern Classic I had. The gain seems to come on a lot quicker with the Metal.

So, Steve, is Rick saying that I could just change a few values in the circuit here or there to shift the voicing a little more towards the MC?

Jack71":2zusy1as said:
johnnyjellybean":2zusy1as said:

That may be true, overall, but with both Metals I've owned, the taper on the gain pot seemed to be much less gradual than the Modern Classic I had. The gain seems to come on a lot quicker with the Metal.

So, Steve, is Rick saying that I could just change a few values in the circuit here or there to shift the voicing a little more towards the MC?

I run the gain on my Metal at 11 oclock! :LOL: :LOL:

johnnyjellybean":temgre3c said:
For me they are different enough too fave one over the other.

Jack71":2w1e3l14 said:
johnnyjellybean":2w1e3l14 said:

I can't confirm that but I would imagine so. The conversation about the MC100 compared to the Metal took place last year in his truck .
I was saying how I'd like to mod my MC100 for more gain and then asked him how much more gain the Metal had and his response was they both have the same gain and that it was just the voicing that was different. As far as the pot taper goes, it may just be that... the taper and that's it.

SO......... I found out there were 3 versions of the Metal. Version I was the short chassis version in the smaller headcase. Version II was the longer chassis in the same style albiet, slightly longer headcase. Version II also had the most gain of the 3 versions. Version III was in the newer style headcase which is the same as the MC100 and Version III infact was the predecessor to the Modern Classic and had the same amount of gain as a MC but with a different voicing .

johnnyjellybean":pl8pnnl7 said:
SO......... I found out there were 3 versions of the Metal. Version I was the short chassis version in the smaller headcase. Version II was the longer chassis in the same style albiet, slightly longer headcase. Version II also had the most gain of the 3 versions. Version III was in the newer style headcase which is the same as the MC100 and Version III infact was the predecessor to the Modern Classic and had the same amount of gain as a MC but with a different voicing .
Excellent very interesting! I have an early short version I've decided to keep as well!

Ampaddict":u2o6hkq6 said:
johnnyjellybean":u2o6hkq6 said:
Excellent very interesting! I have an early short version I've decided to keep as well!

Rick has #33 of that 1st batch over at his place. I saw it today. Apparently there were 80 of those built. By the way.........The reissue is going to be a killer!

johnnyjellybean":2pzbyig2 said:
Ampaddict":2pzbyig2 said:
johnnyjellybean":2pzbyig2 said:

Rick has #33 of that 1st batch over at his place. I saw it today. Apparently there were 80 of those built. By the way.........The reissue is going to be a killer!
Mine must be #16. Love the small box!

My Metal must be version ll then, thanks for the info Steve. I'm thinking alot about the re-release off the new Metal, it would be cool to have a Wizard that was designed to be a Metal amp, old school and new metal.Hope Rick does that.

Ampaddict":3jtk5xgj said:
johnnyjellybean":3jtk5xgj said:
Good to hear you keeping it. :rock:

johnnyjellybean":3meak7gm said:
Ampaddict":3meak7gm said:
johnnyjellybean":3meak7gm said:

Steve, do you got more info about the reissue? You could tell me, but then you have to kill me. :D

Can't wait to see how the Metal turns out. :doh: We will now more after the summer and with my patience. :no: :D

From the ideas Rick ran by me , it sounds like it's going to be great but I can't get into detail since nothing is written in stone yet.

Between the tweaked MC-100 and the Wizard Metal, depending on its voicing, I should be set. A large garage sale may be in the works then. Jerry's Marshall stays and maybe the Cameron, just to remind me of the $2800 donation I made.

Steve

Back