Mid gig thumb cramp - how to avoid?

again with this

The title says it all... had a gig last night and got a crazy thumb cramp and could not hold on to my pick :doh: . Fortunately, I could fake it bass/finger-style :rock: , but it was terribly embarrasing and jacked up the sound since I am the only guitar... :thumbsdown:

How do I avoid these kinds of hand/thumb cramps in the future :confused: ?

This happened to me last night while playing drums. My whole right hand cramped up, and I couldn't open or close it. I also have a huge, now infected, blister on my middle finger, despite the fact I wear drummers gloves. Fail.

Well, in my experience cramps are a result of insufficient hydration. Hydration means water and electralytes, both sufficiently available. Maybe get some Gatorade?

Drink more water...

Have a banana, or some Pedialite on hand, to up your potassium level. Gatorade has a lot of sodium in it, and can actually dehydrate you further.

Exactly what the previous 2 poster said. :thumbsup: Although, I do think that Gatorade is ok, I would try and just drink more water. Good stuff that water ;)

What has the world come to? Once upon a time, I would get as lit up as I could before going on... now, water and banana... Whatever works, I will definately give it a try.

Thanks guys! :rock:

I drink minimum 4 bottles of water in a 3 hour show, and still get it. Perhaps I need to supplement it with something else.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, you may be squeezing your pick too hard.

CaseyCor":38re10ii said:
I drink minimum 4 bottles of water in a 3 hour show, and still get it. Perhaps I need to supplement it with something else.

Yeah, water is not alone the thing you need for hydration, it's the balance of water and electralytes. If you over hydrate and don't have enough sodiums, electralytes, potassium, calcium, whatever, then it can be even worse.

When I played football in high school, I used to get leg cramps practically every game. Sometimes both legs at once. Talk about pain! They made me drink water and take salt pills.

rupe":1ca1va5m said:
In addition to what's already been mentioned, you may be squeezing your pick too hard.
I agree with this the most. I use to have many problems with that playing tech metal and im glad to be playing a little slower these days, still metal though!

Marshall Freak":3da9x2v0 said:
More Beer. :thumbsup:
Maybe that's my issue..I don't drink during gigs usually. Always offer it, and I always say I don't drink while I'm working. Rarely I will if it's the right place and the right mood, but usually no.

a proper warm-up, and proper heat in your hands when the gig starts will greatly reduce muscle fatigue, sweat or no sweat

CaseyCor":mo5o3t17 said:
Marshall Freak":mo5o3t17 said:
Maybe that's my issue..I don't drink during gigs usually. Always offer it, and I always say I don't drink while I'm working. Rarely I will if it's the right place and the right mood, but usually no.

I was mostly joking. :LOL: :LOL: I do like to drink some while I'm playing, but if I go past buzzed, I'm not worth a shit playing.

Marshall Freak":rwf7vfml said:
CaseyCor":rwf7vfml said:
Marshall Freak":rwf7vfml said:

I was mostly joking. :LOL: :LOL: I do like to drink some while I'm playing, but if I go past buzzed, I'm not worth a shit playing.
I know you were :LOL: :LOL:

Back