Modded Recto better than stock?

The tone in the beginning is bloated and kind. Where is that pissed off tone that a stock recto with a tube screamer out front gets?

I totally get mods for amps, but when a $100 pedal gets the goods, why bother with a $1000 mod?
Are you kidding? Not to have to use a patch cable ofcourse! Imagine the economy 😂

My first recto was Mailmans FJA modded single. I looooved it, but my bros said it was too smooth and no longer angry. I hadn't had one before that so I didn't understand what they were talking about at all. I recently acquired a tremoverb and now get it. But as badly as I want to send it to Hermannson, I'm just going to boost it and call it a day on my Recto quest.

I had a JT mod on a triple rec and liked it but can definitely understand why people might hate it. Also for whatever it is worth when I had my amp done by JT several years ago it was a relatively cheap mod (compared to other modders). I had it on a 3 channel rectifier and I thought it made the alternate modes a lot more usable. I have a GZ triple right now which is my favorite recto mod for keeping the core rectifier tone. I also am on my second hermansson rectifier and really like that amp also but its definitely its own thing. I think its kind of cool to see all the unique things modders are able to get out of these amps.

I had a JT mod on a triple rec and liked it but can definitely understand why people might hate it. Also for whatever it is worth when I had my amp done by JT several years ago it was a relatively cheap mod (compared to other modders). I had it on a 3 channel rectifier and I thought it made the alternate modes a lot more usable.
This is my finding also. Made the entire amp way more versatile and usable, still recto DNA but leaned toward its SLO origins. I think it sits well right between an SLO and stock Recto IMO.

I don't really understand the "sounds neutered" or "its not pissed off" comments when you compare a stock Recto (without a boost to fix the stock tone) to this, its like the sound of a lard blimpo crunching down on fried chicken compared to the sound of a well tuned Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche :dunno: At 19:12 in the video, I used a boost also. Sounded great too. Not bad for having all the controls at noon for the most part of the video.

Last edited:
This is my finding also. Made the entire amp way more versatile and usable, still recto DNA but leaned toward its SLO origins. I think it sits well right between an SLO and stock Recto IMO.

I don't really understand the "sounds neutered" or "its not pissed off" comments when you compare a stock Recto (without a boost to fix the stock tone) to this, its like the sound of a lard blimpo crunching down on fried chicken compared to the sound of a well tuned Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche :dunno: At 19:12 in the video, I used a boost also. Sounded great too. Not bad for having all the controls at noon for the most part of the video.
So you could use a $100 dollar pedal to “fix” the stock tone, or spend $600 to have it modded? :dunno:

So you could use a $100 dollar pedal to “fix” the stock tone, or spend $600 to have it modded? :dunno:
It was $400 but yeah definitely worth it. If all your into is chuggy chug chug then I can see the appeal of cutting corners with a little box of transistors. If it gets you to your end goal, that’s all that matters.. :cheers:

Last edited:
It was $400 but yeah definitely worth it. If all your into is chuggy chug chug then I can see the appeal of cutting corners with a little box of transistors. If it gets you to your end goal, that’s all that matters.. :cheers:
If you like the mod, then it is worth it. But you can click off that boost for not "chuggy chug" and then have a recto.

I have an amp that goes from chug> nice> crunch >"clean">pretty fucking clean all with the volume knob. That is what I like. But some guys hate single channels

I think others aren't completely talking shit, just saying what they prefer.

Hermanson has a mod on a recto some guys like. Some guys hate. It is not a recto anymore. Some guys cant deal with that. Some guys love it.

I don't really understand the "sounds neutered" or "its not pissed off" comments when you compare a stock Recto (without a boost to fix the stock tone) to this, its like the sound of a lard blimpo crunching down on fried chicken compared to the sound of a well tuned Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche :dunno:

the recto is like the classic old big block muscle car with 2x4's, tons of compression and a wild cam that shakes the ground and sets off car alarms as youre idling by.. now you take off the 2x4's for a modern EFI, put a turbo on which means no more wild cam or compression, it now idles super smooth, lost all its grunt and sounds basically stock.. dosent mean the mods are bad, but the car is just something different now, and a lot of guys would just prefer the mean grunt even if the new mods make the car "better". the amp sounds plenty good, just not very much recto anymore

the recto is like the classic old big block muscle car with 2x4's, tons of compression and a wild cam that shakes the ground and sets off car alarms as youre idling by.. now you take off the 2x4's for a modern EFI, put a turbo on which means no more wild cam or compression, it now idles super smooth, lost all its grunt and sounds basically stock.. dosent mean the mods are bad, but the car is just something different now, and a lot of guys would just prefer the mean grunt even if the new mods make the car "better". the amp sounds plenty good, just not very much recto anymore
I think the problem is two different opinions of the stock recto tone. You’re comparing it to a 69 chevelle (using that as an example…my fav) and I’m comparing the tone of a fat guy crunching on fried chicken lol. I’m being pretty harsh, it’s not THAT bad. With a boost it gets there though like I mentioned in the video. Fact is, Mesa sold tens of thousands of the rectos over the years and it’s been on countless albums.

Last edited:
I think one thing that is missing is that most of us dont compare a mod to the amp. If an amp is loose, but gets tight with a boost but retains the character that makes it amazing, we get happy. So we compare the mod to the way that we use the amp-which is not loose butthole..

Some people are anti boost. That is fine. Many modders have made a killing modding marshalls to sound like they had that boost.

But when you mod an amp to sound completely different, then add the clickbait title: 'Modded amp better than original?' you are going to get some answers that can get your panties twisted. This happens to a lot of us on NADs when we dont even have a clickbait title asking for the comparison to begin with

I think one thing that is missing is that most of us dont compare a mod to the amp. If an amp is loose, but gets tight with a boost but retains the character that makes it amazing, we get happy. So we compare the mod to the way that we use the amp-which is not loose butthole..

Some people are anti boost. That is fine. Many modders have made a killing modding marshalls to sound like they had that boost.

But when you mod an amp to sound completely different, then add the clickbait title: 'Modded amp better than original?' you are going to get some answers that can get your panties twisted. This happens to a lot of us on NADs when we dont even have a clickbait title asking for the comparison to begin with
Well this mod doesn’t make it completely different and I obviously didn’t have a click bait title if you watched the entire video, so I’m safe :LOL:

Well this mod doesn’t make it completely different and I obviously didn’t have a click bait title if you watched the entire video, so I’m safe :LOL:
Didnt watch the whole vid. Nothing against you. Just wanted to listen to the tone since some were saying it was neutered. Like i said, i thought it sounded good. Bit on the smooth side.

I moreso thought you may be defensive. I was just trying to explain the thought process.

Didnt watch the whole vid. Nothing against you. Just wanted to listen to the tone since some were saying it was neutered. Like i said, i thought it sounded good. Bit on the smooth side.

I moreso thought you may be defensive. I was just trying to explain the thought process.
I don’t blame you. It’s a long video and probably needs to be trimmed down in hindsight. Some appreciate the added info/dialog and some just want me to get to the point and play the amp. That’s why I made chapters to skip to for the viewer.

Regarding the title…(I see you edited and took that part out)….It’s a title to draw interest for sure but not without resolution and no outcome. I feel I delivered on what I stated in the title according to my opinion.

I have all this gear and it feels wasted because I don’t gig so I came down to the conclusion to either sell most of it or make the gear work for me via YouTube by demoing it all and maybe have a little money thrown back toward my direction. So I’m definitely trying to grow the channel and become monetized, but I have a day job and there’s no pressure and I kinda enjoy it and discussing like we are here. It’s all good.

Last edited:
A person I worked with a few years ago son was making over $200,000 a year off of YouTube. It certainly wasn't about guitar stuff. But it can be a good way to make money. I don't think many people are making a lot of money off YouTube doing guitar related material.

Back