Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

yours.

:D

I haven't been disappointed by any amps, but I stick to tried and true brands that I know for me: Marshall, Engl, Mesa, Fender, Vox.

For example, I sold my Vox amps (AC-30, AC-15, AC-4) when I wanted a different sound, not because they were overrated. Having a custom Vox AC100 clone built now by Ceriatone.

Here's the front of the amp in the head shell, just approved the front with Nik; it will have black diamond grill cloth up top and tolex panel around the faceplate:

PHOTO-2024-05-03-16-11-57.jpg

Peavey 5150. Played it literally twice in my life. Both times were in the 90's. It does everything a relatively affordable metal targeted amp should do (easy to play, chugs, lots of sustain, etc) but even back then I couldn't get over the lack of midrange complexity. It just sounds so non-descript in the mids (as do most Peaveys IMO).

When I was younger, my whole spiel was fuck fender and the marshall they rode in on. I currently plug a Tele into a jcm 900, like, 3/4 of the time.

I'd vote for Dumble based on all I know, but without plugging into one...

Tldr; Larry.

Reactions: rsm
That might be the source of my distaste for them - I'm not a big fan of "easy to play" type high gain amps, and that price though

I've ABed a BE100 (granted, not the new deluxe version) my friend used to own with some really, really heavy hitters that have passed through my hands, and it sounded like a toy compared to them :dunno:

I can see the appeal though, honestly, especially for lead focused players who want something forgiving and easy to get sounding youtube video ready.
I'm not into "easy to play" either. That's why I love my Splawn QuickRod 100 and my Cornford MK50H and MK50 II. They hide nothing and forces you to become a better guitar player.

All three of those are great sounding amps IMO as well

The Cornford stuff seems to have a feel or flavor that didn't really carry over to the victory stuff :unsure:
What I've found out about the Cornfords, is that these amps can't be dialed in using your eyes. They must be dialed in using your ears. The EQ settings on my Cornfords ain't nearly the same as my other amps. For me, Victory amps is a bit to polished, as Friedman amps. But they do sound great.

So many to pick, but I say anything made by KSR. 🤷
Agreed, but really it seems like they were overrated about 10 years ago or so back when they were called Rhodes. I haven't really heard about them as much since, but maybe it's just because I crossed them off my list lol. I had a Gemini and tried a Colossus and recently an Orion 45. Sounded carboard-y and disconnected the way a lot of very recent high gain amps can be. Nice growl though

Last edited:
Back