Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

Most overrated in my book would have to be Cameron. Anyone who can continue to foster so much lore even after being proven to be a thief, has to be overrated.

I too own a Fender Frontman...
Same. It was my first amp. I boosted it.

Ig9sWsul.jpg

:ROFLMAO: I just really don't like the Mark III.

I've had:
Mark IV (2)
Mark V
Mark VII
JP-2C
Studio Preamp
C+ Modded Studio Preamp
Quad Preamp
Green Stripe
Blue Stripe
Played a Purple stripe

I like or love all of them except the Mark III's and the second channel of the quad...which is also a Mark III.

They're ear piercing and boomy at the same time. Idk maybe they just don't like my cabs.
It’s the best . So oissed !

Yup, everything isn’t for everyone and thank god. I’ve had a ton of amps too but I try to keep it below 10 now just b/c as my wife says—“the basement looks like an ac/dc concert—why do you need 10 amps and 20 guitars when you make $3000 a year playing 10 gigs?”

Had similar issues with both the QR and Deliverance—stiff and really dry. I love hearing how that Estrada guy sounds out of his tho so it’s def user error
Tell her to chill tf out, at 3k a year you’ll have all that shit paid for in 20 years, easy.

That's actually not different at all; I've always said that if I practice on an acoustic, or like you mention "action waay too high" that absolutely helps in some ways when you pick up your main guitars. After warming up on 'harder to play' guitars I'm in a great spot and am ready to go. It's similar then to amps that react 'faster' like a SS amp, or preamp that for whatever reason you can play a little sloppy but that sloppiness is somehow covered up; vs a 'harder to play' amp like those I mentioned, where you need to be more precise or it will show.
But, I see where you are coming from and I can't say definitively that the super sensitive amps make you a better player. I just know that I can't get away with much on them, vs my Randall RG for instance.
My VH140-C plays itself, it’s like cheating.

The obvious answer is the completely over glorified and massively inflated clout, the 2c+. Not just because a boosted rectifier does everything it does but WAY better, but because the internet has deemed it into the end all be all. It’s a turd.

Honorable mention: Friedman amps. Dark, soft, everything that made Marshall great and removed it all.

Surprised to see KSR mentioned here, guess it’s time to make some CLIPZZZZZ
Without being a blowhard pedal booster, please explain to us all why you think the IIC+ sucks. Are you mad that the Black Album book debunked your Bob Rock bad memory theory? I actually don’t think you hate the IIC+. You are the dude that just has to be the contrarian about it. That’s weird. Were you bullied or abused as a child? The amp is iconic for a reason. For many it’s perfect. Anywho, just curious where your vitriol for an amplifier comes from. Strange to say the least. Do you still stand by your dramatic diatribe quoting the aging Bob, only to have Hetfield, Hammett, and Fidleman say that it was a IIC++?

Pretty well my answer exactly. Now, I do think the 2C+ is a fantastic amp....but there is no way it is multiple levels above what my MKIV is. In some areas, the I think the MKIV is better than the 2C+.

Friedman for sure. I had huge expectations when I got my 2017 BE100. Turned out the 96 Ecstasy and Helios 100 I had beat it at its own game. For that type of thing, I have found, like a lot of folks here, it is tough to beat a well tuned old jmp/jcm with a boost.

I recently got a KSR Colossus and I am really digging it! For the "modern SLO" type tone, it does that so well....better than the Mezzabarba I had. Surprise gem for me on that amp is its crunch channel: Kinda like the SLO crunch channel but with more gain on tap via the mode function and great feel!
Yeah, there is something special about the KSR Colossus.

I always wanted one based upon all of those Keith Merrow YouTube videos.

Kyle said he had tweaked the crunch channel on the most recent versions of the Colossus where he made them closer to the crunch on the Ares.

The amp that I would say was the biggest disappointment for me was/is the Diezel VH4.

Diezel sent me the VH4 to replace my brand-new Herbert MKII that I had personally given to Myles Kennedy for the Diezel guys.

I was the only person with the MKII in the USA when they first came out and Myles needed one for their current Alter Bridge tour.

They offered to upgrade me to a brand-new VH4 so I was pretty jazzed when I received the VH4 since I had heard they were killer amps.

However, it sounded nothing like what I had expected, majorly disappointed, and I had regretted giving up my Herbert.

I had put the amp up for sale the very next day for $2800, and it sold within 1 hour to a guy that looked like he was the happiest person on the planet to be getting that VH4 for $2800, so it partially made up for my major disappointment in the VH4.

My VH140-C plays itself, it’s like cheating.

Interesting, I don’t know I’d call mine super easy to play, it’s kind of immediate and has that unique cold feel going on that I don’t really find easy compared to say my mesa’s, it really probably actually feels closer to my hermansson that is even more immediate and open, both of them I gotta kind of lighten up on my grip a little and let the amp do the work, it’s fun as hell to play though either way

Without being a blowhard pedal booster, please explain to us all why you think the IIC+ sucks. Are you mad that the Black Album book debunked your Bob Rock bad memory theory? I actually don’t think you hate the IIC+. You are the dude that just has to be the contrarian about it. That’s weird. Were you bullied or abused as a child? The amp is iconic for a reason. For many it’s perfect. Anywho, just curious where your vitriol for an amplifier comes from. Strange to say the least. Do you still stand by your dramatic diatribe quoting the aging Bob, only to have Hetfield, Hammett, and Fidleman say that it was a IIC++?

I’m not understanding the iic+ hate either, I love my tripleG and can get very similar tones when boosting, but the iic+ just has that extra depth and 3D thing going on plus that addictive bounce, I just can’t imagine ves not liking one

???

I used to have a Fender Frontman that I converted into a head that sounded surprisingly heavy when boosted. Not gonna pretend it was the ultimate Wizard killer or whatever, but you would have never guessed it was a cheap solid state Fender of all things.

I sold these in the 90’s and I remember when we first plugged one into a 4x12, in the store for laughs and went, holy shit.

Interesting, I don’t know I’d call mine super easy to play, it’s kind of immediate and has that unique cold feel going on that I don’t really find easy compared to say my mesa’s, it really probably actually feels closer to my hermansson that is even more immediate and open, both of them I gotta kind of lighten up on my grip a little and let the amp do the work, it’s fun as hell to play though either way
I am talking red channel boosted, it gets very saturated and greasy. Not the best clarity, but it rocks tf outta the 90’s DM thing.

That's actually not different at all; I've always said that if I practice on an acoustic, or like you mention "action waay too high" that absolutely helps in some ways when you pick up your main guitars. After warming up on 'harder to play' guitars I'm in a great spot and am ready to go. It's similar then to amps that react 'faster' like a SS amp, or preamp that for whatever reason you can play a little sloppy but that sloppiness is somehow covered up; vs a 'harder to play' amp like those I mentioned, where you need to be more precise or it will show.
But, I see where you are coming from and I can't say definitively that the super sensitive amps make you a better player. I just know that I can't get away with much on them, vs my Randall RG for instance.
Like @RaceU4her I get this but I'm at a point in my playing that I don't want to fight the guitar or the amp. Even remember EVH saying why make it hard. That said I get it, I started on an acoustic, it strengthens the fingers. And I went through a bit where I was all into VHT's, when I owned my UL...you don't hide from nothing on those amps. Did they make me a better player? For me, not really. What made me a better player, especially during my VHT days was all I did was play guitar. I was either at rehearsal, playing live, recording or practicing at home. I remember reading Steve Morse saying that if he took a day off it'd take him a week to get that back. I took that literally, I mean I would take my guitar on vacations lol. At the least I played 30 mins a day even if that meant just going through my warm up exercises.

But again, whatever works. To each their own.

Whether or not it was on the Black album, it was most definitely on MOP, AJFA, and multiple Dream Theatre albums that all had amazing and distinct C+ tones. The fact that it’s been sparsely used on major recordings does NOT diminish that.

Back