Most overrated amp ever... pick 1!

Do you have any idea how many guitar players swear they think they know what was used on their album, only to find out later ( if ever) it was reamped after the fact? I’m not saying or insinuating this happened with Metallica, im
Simply making a point: I can give you 3-4 albums off the top of my head that I know of personally, and was personally told by the producer this happened. Again, not saying this happened with Metallica, just that not everything is as black and white as people want to believe.
Yeah, he’s right this happens literally all the time, big and small studios. Been many times I’ve told a drummer I used their samples or told them nothing was replaced. Meanwhile the whole kit was essentially triggered and blended because theirs sounded like ass, up to an entire piece, like a snare being replaced entirely. I’ve changed bass tones without a bassist knowing. Also guitar tones of course, literally no idea. I’ve also had it where one guitar player sucked compared to the other and had the good one come in and record the others parts entirely with them having no idea it was redone entirely.

Last edited:
Yeah, he’s right this happens literally all the time, big and small studios. Been many times I’ve told a drummer I used their samples or told them nothing was replaced. Meanwhile the whole kit was essentially triggered and blended because theirs sounded like ass, up to an entire piece, like a snare being replaced entirely. I’ve changed bass tones without a bassist knowing. Also guitar tones of course, literally no idea. I’ve also had it where one guitar player sucked compared to the other and had the good one come in and record the others parts entirely with them having no idea it was redone entirely.

Weird, it’s almost like an engineer or mixer will do whatever he has to do to get the best tones possible, regardless of peoples feelings or egos, what a concept. But, this is typical of how guitarists especially, think. “ what do you MEAN the other guitarist is going to play MY parts!?”…..and that my friend, is the mentality that will always keep you at the local band guy level, always. This shit is so unbelievably common, peoples heads would explode if you told them how certain things were done and how opposite they actually are compared to what they thought for the last 30 years.

Like, it’s no secret producers have had “ghost” players come in and redo a bands/ guitar players part without them knowing, this a fact that I’m sure many here know. I believe even Metallica had some ghost players on their records, but don’t quote me on that it’s been awhile since I’ve heard that story.

I forgot to mention in my other post, but I'd say just about any amp that someone recommends in one breath and then in the next says "just throw an EQ in the loop and it's a monster"

Damn I hate that. JCM900DR is the one I hear it the most often

Also this IIC+ beef is pretty funny. I have nothing to weigh in on because I've never even seen one let alone played one, and probably never will. And I don't really like Night Ranger or Metallica

I forgot to mention in my other post, but I'd say just about any amp that someone recommends in one breath and then in the next says "just throw an EQ in the loop and it's a monster"

I have to agree...I will report that an amp isn't working for me and guys will say: "Boost up front to tighten, a good EQ and noise gain and it will be a killer amp"...Drives me crazy.

I just heard a bunch of Nightranger the other day on Spotify at work….ugh did they have some terrible tones….they might as well of mic’d up some kazoos. Crosstown Traffic anyone?
???

I thought the first 2 albums sounded pretty great. Not sure about stuff after 85 though. No kazoo tone on the first few. Unless your kazoo impression is different than mine.

I had a MKIIC whatever back in ‘97, bought it for $400 and sold it for $750. Thought I was doing good too. That amp was terrible. At least I never found the kazoo setting.
I had my first 2C in 2014, that was the most raw open crushing non Marshall tone I've ever heard. Still regretting upgrading it to a +. That one had a GEQ of course.
By contrast, I had a 2C no eq no reverb back in 2019....THAT was a Kazoo for sure. No GEQ=No go for me. Those are horridly honky amps. ANY Mark without a GEQ is a flock of Geese.

And boom goes the dynamite!
Dynamite to what? Not everyone likes every amp, dude. I think G Rectos sound like crap. Un Dynamic as they come. 5150? Pfft...another trash amp that I've heard/played enough times live to know I'll never own one. You can have them.

But trying to 'minimize' a clearly legendary amp like a C+, by saying stupid shit like "no one EVAR uses them" just shows everyone that somewhere, sometime you were apparently molested by or assaulted by a C+ in the studio. Or live. Or wherever.

Then, you try to argue that no one EVAR records with them YET clearly many big, popular(for the time) and well-known bands INDEED did use them to record ICONIC albums with them.
I guess you just like to skip over REAL FACTS to promote your bullshit.
Makes sense.

There's great tones and bad tones in a c+. I've been fortunate enough to have owned my first one since I ordered it from Mesa in 1984. Now I've got 21. My Recto's are cool but nowhere near as much fun as a c+. It's fun to watch the reaction when someone tries my c+ Coli.
IMG_3898.jpeg

Dynamite to what? Not everyone likes every amp, dude. I think G Rectos sound like crap. Un Dynamic as they come. 5150? Pfft...another trash amp that I've heard/played enough times live to know I'll never own one. You can have them.

But trying to 'minimize' a clearly legendary amp like a C+, by saying stupid shit like "no one EVAR uses them" just shows everyone that somewhere, sometime you were apparently molested by or assaulted by a C+ in the studio. Or live. Or wherever.

Then, you try to argue that no one EVAR records with them YET clearly many big, popular(for the time) and well-known bands INDEED did use them to record ICONIC albums with them.
Makes sense.

Reread your second fucking sentence again dude….. seriously, go read it. And then using YOUR logic, ask yourself what kind of hypocrite you are being by jumping on someone who doesn’t like this “legendary” amp. Don’t like Rectos? Cool. 5150s? Couldn’t care less, more power to ya. You can’t deny their ACTUAL use in heavy music, but that’s a different story completely. But I’m also not gonna start running my mouth about you not liking an amp in a thread you aren’t even apart of. I don’t like the amp for reasons I’ve stated numerous times. It’s a turd, plain and simple. Sorry you feel differently.

Still waiting for all those legendary albums it’s been used on. By itself, for heavy tones. Go on fanboy, let’s hear it. Name all those legendary heavy tones you just absolutely love where it was used. This is usually where you fanboys start REALLY losing your mind. your butthurt is showing sweetheart.

I don’t think we need to argue about the 2C+. All of this is completely subjective anyway. Everyone likes different music and plays differently. There is no right/wrong answer when it comes to what amps you like.

Makes sense.

Also, pick one dipshit, because less than a week ago you just said here “rev G Rectos sound really good, but not as good as an F”…..Atleast I’m consistent.

The Nitro is for me one of my least favorite high gain amps I recall trying, at least of amps that go for over maybe $700 or so. I didn't like any of the Splawn's (even the earliest version Quick Rod. Better, but not by a ton)

The 5150's/6505's and EVH 5153's at least imo are good for the price, but even then not the very best choices
I can't stand 5150's, something in the mids bothers the shit out of me, too nasally I guess??

I can't stand 5150's, something in the mids bothers the shit out of me, too nasally I guess??

The mids are shifted in a weird position stock IMO and It doesn’t help people run them with V30s all the time which have an additional mid emphasis as well. 5150’s always do much better with greenback based speakers. Ed didn’t run his mids on the 5150 above 2-2.5. I loved mine with eminence made Splawn small blocks.

Back