Mr. Thorn

I instantly heard the Sylvania 6CA7's. Glad I have two quads of them in my stash.

I had to stop listening when he started playing VH. He just doesn't have the needed swing to pull it off.

Very nice! I’m in the Siemens camp; but my og Mullard experience is limited to the XF3/4 which aren’t the holy grail Mullards. I do think the og Winged Cs are right up there though; they came after the og Svetlanas and are the same tube from what I understand. Those EHs sound good too, I’ve had some exp with the Tung Sol and they were good. But, you only notice the real differences when you are at higher volumes anyway.

I instantly heard the Sylvania 6CA7's. Glad I have two quads of them in my stash.

I had to stop listening when he started playing VH. He just doesn't have the needed swing to pull it off.
I definitely heard a more EVH-esque sound when he went to those Sylvania 6CA7’s, but that’s also probably why I didn’t like them in that clip since I also personally never liked EVH’s tone much honestly (too hollow). Agreed he doesn’t have a good feel for that (not honestly a fan of his feel in general), but I couldn’t really do any better either for EVH style haha. That swing feel he had has a fine line to make it actually sound good vs amateurish if it’s a bit off

I thought the Mullard’s sounded best to me in that video and maybe Siemen’s were next best, but the experience could be very different I’m sure in person with my own amps. Haven’t yet tried any old Mullard EL34’s, but Siemen’s have been my favorites in my so far limited tube trying experience. The Winged C’s didn’t seem as good to me in that video

Last edited:
EH 6CA7 match my experience in my amps too, great highs and crisp.. I prefer 6CA7's now to EL34 which is a shame because i have some new EL34's that may not be used any time soon. Maybe i can keep them for 20 years and then sell them as NOS!?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393129135826?hash=item5b88528ed2:g:tnAAAOSw5DpgJQHR
Only $530 a quad used what a bargain. [pun]

a724b3d813b40b94bdcbc8e6c95f872d.gif

Slamming on winged c's... blasphemy.

That said, they could have ended it at the first set, the Mullards, those sounded perfect for that amp.

Side also, amp dependant and all, have some jj 6ca7's in one and they sound killer.

Slamming on winged c's... blasphemy.

That said, they could have ended it at the first set, the Mullards, those sounded perfect for that amp.

Side also, amp dependant and all, have some jj 6ca7's in one and they sound killer.
It’s all amp dependent. I hate JJ power tubes and they sounded the best in my Rev 2 Uberschall. Go figure... 🤣

Man..you got that right.
AVH..that sauce..always right with the feel loaded with wizardry.
One of the greatest snare sounds of all..whatever.
Brilliance.

Recording gear imparts a huge influence over the final outcome. Only playing in the room do you get a true idea of whats going on..

Weird how my preferences totally changed from medium gain to high gain. You can really hear the rolled off top of the NP Mullard. The EH EL34 sounds more like the Siemens than the old Mullards. I usually suggest EH EL34 but for medium gain I thought it sounded noticeably thin. I agree with DF in that if you want Siemens-tone get EH EL34 and if you want old Mullard tone get NP Mullards or Tung Sol.

And I'm another that doesn't really like SED EL34s, never did. I love the SED 6L6 tho. I thought the NP Svetlana was last place all around.

That amp must have a really high B+ for 31mA cathode current to be right.

Last edited:
Cool video.
I gotta admit, I was expecting a bigger difference between N.O.S. and current production.
These videos are cool but it's just like the 'I need clips!' comments...you really need to be in the room to hear the real differences. While they may not be earth shattering there are significant differences in the room when you tube roll, at least with a vintage Marshall. The vintage tubes make the tone more 'alive' if you will, while the new production lacks the harmonics the Siemens/Mullards can produce and sound slightly 'sterile' by comparison. It's up to you whether or not that 10% or so 'better' tone is worth it or not.

Weird how my preferences totally changed from medium gain to high gain. You can really hear the rolled off top of the NP Mullard. The EH EL34 sounds more like the Siemens than the old Mullards. I usually suggest EH EL34 but for medium gain I thought it sounded noticeably thin. I agree with DF in that if you want Siemens-tone get EH EL34 and if you want old Mullard tone get NP Mullards or Tung Sol.

And I'm another that doesn't really like SED EL34s, never did. I love the SED 6L6 tho. I thought the NP Svetlana was last place all around.

That amp must have a really high B+ for 31mA cathode current to be right.
And I dig the C 34s, they are on par with the Siemens/Mullards for me at least in any vintage Marshall...while the C 6L6/6550s are no different in any of my Mesa 6L6 amps vs say the Sovtek wafer 5881s, or Mesa 440s.

And I dig the C 34s, they are on par with the Siemens/Mullards for me at least in any vintage Marshall...while the C 6L6/6550s are no different in any of my Mesa 6L6 amps vs say the Sovtek wafer 5881s, or Mesa 440s.

Oh wow, I find the Sovtek wafer 5881 totally different than a SED 6L6...almost like they're opposite ends of the 6L6 spectrum. That is...SED in a BF Fender and wafer 5881 in an SLO but not the other way around.

Back