My Le Clean is both Le Spectacular but also Le Noisy

strumminsix

Hello, new to this forum but the Two Notes site offered this so hoping this is a great support route.

My background clean player think Twin with Jensens wonderful clean and clear + Deluxe Reverb with a JBL more aggressive but deliciously clean. This box is PERFECT PERFECT for me. Plugged it into my stage monitor (acoustic amp don't laugh, my setup is perfect for me) kept the EQ flat, gain about halfway up, added a splash of reverb and a smidge of echo and tonally in heavy with all my clean channel dials set to my starting point at noon! It's wonderful, reactive, responds perfectly like an amp to my pickups (pair of mini hums with trisound wiring (series, parallel, single) and out of phase). I've never seen this before! BRAVO. That dirty channel I got dialed in so it sounds like a DR just starting to break from clean. And together gives a killer parallel amp studio sound. This is better than anything I've played before: L6 POD, L6 XT, L6HD, ElevenRack, Sansamp, Tech 21, Ethos Clean, etc.....

For me the cab is perfect - sounds like a nice split between Jensens and JBLs and adding reverb and echo gives me a roomy vibe.

So I'm loving my tone but the problem is that it's noisy - presence area hiss. Is that common? It's the only thing in my chain, swapped cables, nothing.

I'm not sure how much noise this will introduce at a gig with thousands of watts but it's concerning.

Is this common? What can we do to fix this. I don't want to return it. This is the pedal I've been waiting for!!

Thanks,

Testing between the XLR and 1/4" with iphone DB app:
XLR adds 20db of white noise, 1/4" adds 10db of white noise
Then on the other channel of my amp it was slightly different but same end results

Tested my Ethos, only about 3db of white noise added, 1/4" only
Tested my Sansamp Blonde modified to have both XLR and 1/4" and both only added 2-3db

I did adjust gain stages between the pedal and channel and output for high signal to noise ratio.

I love this pedal but it's not stage worthy as is. I'm very curious if this is a faulty unit or poor design.

Please help.

If you are in the USA or Canada, pm me, otherwise open a ticket on the help desk. We'd like for you to try a new ac adapter.

sysexguy":1t8gqth4 said:
If you are in the USA or Canada, pm me, otherwise open a ticket on the help desk. We'd like for you to try a new ac adapter.
I'm in the USA. messaging coming. thank you!

sorry, cannot message you. apparently you need to have a certain #of posts before you can.

my nickname here at gmail dot com is my email.

thanks

New power supply arrived but did not solve the problems. Right now I'm focusing on the clean side, have all 4 dials to noon and the signal to my input is noisy and low. Like multiple gain stages where one is not high enough. Any suggestions before I return? I LOVE the tones but cannot deal with this noise.

I hope Two Notes is listening... This noise complaint is also all over the gear page.

The power supplies that ship with the units are junk. I use my Le Preamp with a Cioks power supply & it's dead silent; however, if I use the wall wart that came with the unit then it's hiss city. You're correct, the problem is littered all over the Internet & I can't help but think that these cheap-arse power supplies are damaging the reputation of the unit as people often assume it's the pedals themselves. To confirm, I don't believe your issue is down to a fault & I can assure you that the pedals themselves aren't noisey, it's just a result of the cheap, rubbish power supply that they ship with (remove that from the equation & problem solved :).

Raven":2zy3t8xi said:
The power supplies that ship with the units are junk. I use my Le Preamp with a Cioks power supply & it's dead silent; however, if I use the wall wart that came with the unit then it's hiss city. You're correct, the problem is littered all over the Internet & I can't help but think that these cheap-arse power supplies are damaging the reputation of the unit as people often assume it's the pedals themselves. To confirm, I don't believe your issue is down to a fault & I can assure you that the pedals themselves aren't noisey, it's just a result of the cheap, rubbish power supply that they ship with (remove that from the equation & problem solved :).
Thank you, Raven. Grateful. I can't believe they produce the best clean preamp on the market, fair price, but the power supply makes this unusable on stage or studio.

Which Cioks unit are you running? how many MA's on your 12v supply? I see stock is supposedly 500, most Cioks are 600-800. I see Radio Shack has one that gives up to 1200: https://www.radioshack.com/products/ene ... 7047924613

I'm starting to believe that the power supplies are inferior and under powered. This is causing the unit to be both noisy and a low output causing a poor S/N ratio.

Hi strumminsix,

fist of all if you can provide some links to other people having that issue I'll be happy to help them and we exchange the PSU at our cost of course.

The new power Supply we sent to you is supposedly dead silent as well, for the first batch we fell in a norm change for wallwart and the variation in noise between two units was inacceptable. Some are OK, some are not. I can tell you they are not cheap, sadly, and they provide the 1A written on the sticker, it's just the technology that was not ready for the new norm. :/

If the new one doesn't work as expected, maybe the issue is elsewhere. It would be good that you send a message to our Help Desk so you are in direct contact with our developers:

http://support.two-notes.com/

Please tell them what you have in your setup and the type of PSU you are using with the rest.

If you get the chance to try a CIOKS or another good PSU (avoid Trex ones) with your preamp it would help as well. We never tried the radioschak.

guillaume_pille":bgii1o4l said:
Hi strumminsix,

fist of all if you can provide some links to other people having that issue I'll be happy to help them and we exchange the PSU at our cost of course.

The new power Supply we sent to you is supposedly dead silent as well, for the first batch we fell in a norm change for wallwart and the variation in noise between two units was inacceptable. Some are OK, some are not. I can tell you they are not cheap, sadly, and they provide the 1A written on the sticker, it's just the technology that was not ready for the new norm. :/

If the new one doesn't work as expected, maybe the issue is elsewhere. It would be good that you send a message to our Help Desk so you are in direct contact with our developers:

Please tell them what you have in your setup and the type of PSU you are using with the rest.

If you get the chance to try a CIOKS or another good PSU (avoid Trex ones) with your preamp it would help as well. We never tried the radioschak.
Greetings, thank you for your reply. To be clear, another advised that others were experiencing similar problems.

I have already opened a ticket with your Help Desk. Should I open another one?

Sadly, when I conveyed my story to Sweetwater music they sent me another one which was equally noisy and ch2 didn't work?!

Please let me know how to proceed. As stated, your product is the most superior in the market for small form full amp sim. But cannot deal with the hiss.

Thank you.

We are currently moving our offices, so we may be a little behind on the support. Not more than a few days however. You should expect an answer on the help desk by tomorrow.

Don't hesitate to send a new message on your existing ticket if needed, though :)

strumminsix":1ml49c76 said:
Which Cioks unit are you running? how many MA's on your 12v supply? I see stock is supposedly 500, most Cioks are 600-800. I see Radio Shack has one that gives up to 1200: https://www.radioshack.com/products/ene ... 7047924613

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm not a frequent forum user & only stop by here for time to time.

I'm using a DC-5 Link with a Parallel Y cable connected to outputs 4 & 5, works lime a charm.

It's good to hear that Guillaume feels they've now addressed the power supply issue. I can only speak from my experience though, I've only had my unit for a month or so & it came direct form the supplier (maybe they're still clearing old stock or something?). The power supply that came with my unit caused horrendous amounts of hiss & interference, no such issue at all with the Cioks. Hope you get it sorted as the Le Preamp range really do sound fantastic & are definitely worth the hassle of sorting a replacement power supply that's up to the task.

Oh, & for the record, I wouldn't try the Radio Shack one as their supplies don't tend to be designed with audio equipment in mind & those generic type PSUs typically add loads of noise. The Le Preamp series have pretty heavy-duty power requirements as they aren't just simple effects pedals. I usually use Voodoo Labs supplies on my pedalboards but went with Cioks for the Le Preamp board as I wanted something that would definitely work without any problems. I can certainly attest that the DC5 Link works flawlessly with it. Hope this helps. :)

Raven":1zc8t8lp said:
Oh, & for the record, I wouldn't try the Radio Shack one as their supplies don't tend to be designed with audio equipment in mind & those generic type PSUs typically add loads of noise. The Le Preamp series have pretty heavy-duty power requirements as they aren't just simple effects pedals. I usually use Voodoo Labs supplies on my pedalboards but went with Cioks for the Le Preamp board as I wanted something that would definitely work without any problems. I can certainly attest that the DC5 Link works flawlessly with it. Hope this helps. :)
this is great, thanks!

Basstyra":yovpmff1 said:
We are currently moving our offices, so we may be a little behind on the support. Not more than a few days however. You should expect an answer on the help desk by tomorrow.

Don't hesitate to send a new message on your existing ticket if needed, though :)
thanks. have updated my ticket again!

guillaume_pille":1a2al25s said:
Hi strumminsix,

Hello, my ticket is: Tracking ID: YQJ-B62-YTVN (Ticket number: 4785)

I cannot PM you as I don't have enough posts.

My setup is simple: humbucker guitar > le clean > xlr > fishman loudbox performer

This setup is great with other modelers, keys, acoustic guitars, etc. just the le clean is le trouble.

Back