My trip to the Diezel factory in Dillingen.

scottph

Anyhow, as most of you know I sold my Engl 4x12 pro V30 the day before yesterday, because I felt like I wanted a cab that was actually made for my amp.

I emailed Peter Stapfer about trying out some of the new cabs Diezel is now making. The old cabs were made in the US, and I didn't really like them at all, but when I heard a few months ago that they would make their very own cabs in Germany I was pretty much sold, just by judging of the quality of work they put into their amps.

Turns out I was right. I drove up to Dillingen (about 120 kilometers north-west of Munich) to meet up with Peter yesterday...mind you: A sunday! Easter sunday...I think that pretty much alone says everything about Diezel.

So, we picked Peter up at his home and drove to the factory. It's a very small place, two stories, with the CNC-machine downstairs, and the assembly upstairs - which is also where I tested all cabs possible: 4x12 fl and rl with GK100's and V30's, same with 2x12's, plus some prototype of a new 2x12.

What really stood out for me was that Peter took his time (+ two hours!) to explain the differences in great detail. I was shown how the cabs are made, what's special about them compared to other cabs, where the tonal differences are, etc. Unreal!!

You would - ie - think that the grill is just cosmetics...wrong! It has a major (!) impact on how the cab sounds. I was totally blown away. I tested a 4x12 V30 with a Herbert (# 1000, incidentally - the white one) with the settings I use at home, and while I played Peter removed the black grill and put a "salt 'n pepper" one on the cab, and the tone changed dramatically! I couldn't believe it. :eek:

Anyhow, in the end I was torn between the V30 2x12 and the respective 4x12, since the new prototype 2x12 wasn't for sale. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. :)

I A/B'd pretty much all cabs and it came down to the V30's, because the GK's need more volume than I can realistically give them at home to really sing.

I was surprised how the 2x12's held up against the 4x12's! It was a close call, but I finally decided on the 4x12. Peter was outstanding in every respect. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated his time. He went to great length and we talked about the amps, Tool, James, Fly Leaf, and lots of other stuff.

Anyhow, on to the first batch of pics:

080323-Diezel-01-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-02-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-03-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-04-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-06-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-08-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-09-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-10-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-12-s.jpg

080323-Diezel-14-s.jpg

Up next: My new gearpics. :D

AHHHRRRRRr!!!!!!!! Yer killing me, mang! Just when I stop gassing for cabinets you are bringing this up.

scottph":3a74ckpo said:
I A/B'd pretty much all cabs and it came down to the V30's, because the GK's need more volume than I can realistically give them at home to really sing.

Cool. Did the GK100 cab feel significantly tighter or faster reacting than the V30 one ?

Definately, especially past 10 am on the volume. It's really great, but so is the V30. Not as direct as the GK, but much better for my playing and the volume I can play at.

But again, you need to test them, cos even the smallest change in your setup will make them both sound different to you - I mean just changing the front-panel made a HUGE difference in the way the cabs sounded - that's why I got them both. :D

I'll try to capture it on a video, but it'll be a fwe days...

Well, the black one makes the sound "sharper" in my ears, while the salt 'n pepper makes it more "rounded"...if that makes any sense. In any case, it's a difference anyone can hear in real life - it's unbelievable...you should have seen my face when Peter changed them while I played... :D

BRAGGER!!! :gethim:

No but really i have read a few time on this board about front loaded cabs or rear loaded cabs..Is there really a difference? And if so why?

What did you guys talked about James?! hehehe I'm interested.......A HUGE FAN here! (heard of Diezel the first time because of James really)

c'mon scott, give us the dirt! :rock:

AtownBcat":q23fcbf7 said:
BRAGGER!!! :gethim:

No but really i have read a few time on this board about front loaded cabs or rear loaded cabs..Is there really a difference? And if so why?

There is a difference, absolutely. Comes out real well past 10 am on the volume. The fl is more "in your face" while the rl is more "rounded". I can't really explain it any better - sorry. You need to test those things yourself and preferably at the levels you'll play em.

@Joey: Well, since I kinda know the same people Peter knows we shared some gossip. I'll leave it at that. ;)

come on Scott! you can do better than that! :p hehe

no I really don't want any gossips, but I'm interested about James's gear, and VH4/other Diezel configuration he's using these days. Or a fun story and what not..............anything that can be shared in a public forum? or a PM? :LOL: :LOL:

Well, I think pretty much everyone here knows this pic:

Hetfieldrig.jpg

Afaik it's the current setup James is using. I saw it in person in 06 and 07, so my guess is that it's the one he'll be using this year too.

Again, don't really wanna give away any info that was exchanged between Peter and me...if something comes out of our discussion you all will see it soon enough - not saying that it will, but it might, and if I can have a small part in it - even better. ;)

frantic77":1r7gqp0v said:
Scott,did you get the front loaded or the rear loaded one?
thanks

I got the fl, cos it's much better for my style and the volumes I can use it at. Like I said on the ESP board: It really depends on what you play and how loud you intend to play most of the time...don't listen to Sean...listen to your ears.

scottph":12bfghdd said:
frantic77":12bfghdd said:
Scott,did you get the front loaded or the rear loaded one?
thanks

I got the fl, cos it's much better for my style and the volumes I can use it at. Like I said on the ESP board: It really depends on what you play and how loud you intend to play most of the time...don't listen to Sean...listen to your ears.

yeah....sean..... he really knows how to influence the met kids over there. :LOL: :LOL:
he should first find a solid constant rig for himself before telling other waht sounds the best.
as you said , its all a matter of your own taste.

to the jaymz topic: to sad he s using the crabby krank heads... do you really think hes gonna use the vh4 again live ? its been a long time since ive seen him on metclub using the diezel. always just the fucking kranks

James is using all kinds of heads and combos in the studio, but I know first hand that he uses the VH4 live. James is very much obsessed with the sounds he uses, much more than Sean for instance...plus he actually rips... :LOL: :LOL:

scottph":2r1vyesj said:
James is using all kinds of heads and combos in the studio, but I know first hand that he uses the VH4 live. James is very much obsessed with the sounds he uses, much more than Sean for instance...plus he actually rips... :LOL: :LOL:

haha :LOL: :LOL:
yeah. he rips fucking hard. i know nobody that rips so hard like him :D
+ hes playing a powerball :doh: thats the only thing he doesnt rip from jaymz , and you see, its crap ;)

Back