NAD: Bogner Snorkler Mod

braintheory

Got this Bogner Snorkler modded 1985 JCM800 4103 last week and am really liking it! It’s basically the Bogner sound (dark, very fat/thick, chewy, a bit smoother) combined on top of the JCM800 sound of being more cutting, hard edged and brash. It’s like the sound is 70% Bogner/30% JCM800

I like that it maintains its midrange more than most other mods that tend to sound distant vs stock Marshall’s (even many Cameron’s IME). This one doesn’t despite being dark. I actually turn the mids almost all the way off. Until I did that I wasn’t as impressed with it at first. It’s pretty bloated sounding until you really scoop them out and it actually makes the amp tighter and clearer as you turn down the mid knob. Maybe it’s also adjusting some low mids possibly. It’s one of the better modded Marshall’s I’ve tried and currently the only modded Marshall I have. Somewhere in my top 7 or 8 spot for high gain amps I’ve had

more empty braintheory hyperbole with zero clips in an endless series of thousands of highly detailed opinions
pfffft
sorry not sorry

HNAD! A snorkler has been on my “yeah right, if I can even find one” list for years haha.

Speaking of, does anybody here even have a clue as to how many exist? I reached out to Bogner years ago about this and crickets…

Got this Bogner Snorkler modded 1985 JCM800 4103 last week and am really liking it! It’s basically the Bogner sound (dark, very fat/thick, chewy, a bit smoother) combined on top of the JCM800 sound of being more cutting, hard edged and brash. It’s like the sound is 70% Bogner/30% JCM800

I like that it maintains its midrange more than most other mods that tend to sound distant vs stock Marshall’s (even many Cameron’s IME). This one doesn’t despite being dark. I actually turn the mids almost all the way off. Until I did that I wasn’t as impressed with it at first. It’s pretty bloated sounding until you really scoop them out and it actually makes the amp tighter and clearer as you turn down the mid knob. Maybe it’s also adjusting some low mids possibly. It’s one of the better modded Marshall’s I’ve tried and currently the only modded Marshall I have. Somewhere in my top 7 or 8 spot for high gain amps I’ve had
I always wanted to try this mod, one of my buddies had a steavens 50w modded by bogner, it was a good tone good amp but had a midrange hump/thump dont know how to describe it, but no matter what I turn in the EQ it was there, thats why I did not keep it.

So it's a real Reinhold modded amp then?.....That's pretty rare considering the lore that he didn't build too many modded Marshalls and didn't want to to do them when he got asked.

Congrats on the amp!

Last edited:
I had a Bogner-modded Traynor for a bit. Original amp was sorta like a 1987 and he converted to something like a modded 2204. It didn't have the blue circuit board like a Snorkler but was hand wired stuff.

I recorded some clips somewhere. It was a good sound. Had that sorta "chewy" Bogner thing going on. Ultimately I just preferred a 2204 with an SD-1 out front.

So it's a real Reinhold modded amp then?.....That's pretty rare considering the lore that he didn't build too many modded Marshalls and didn't want to to do them when he got asked.

Congrats on the amp!
It has the blue PCB board...which is the 'tell' for a real deal Bogner mod. I almost traded a Cam Aldrich to a guy in Mpls, Solid Body guitars....he had a 78 JMP with a Bogner mod...also a blue board....but it wouldn't power on. Lol
Tried different fuses, tubes but it needed some major work.

more empty braintheory hyperbole with zero clips in an endless series of thousands of highly detailed opinions
pfffft
sorry not sorry
Yeah cuz clips matter.......

Not.

In the "world of clips" a Mark III sounds JUST LIKE a C+. Nope.
In the "world of clips" Wizards suck. Terrible amp. Nope.
I got one....CLIPS SUCK.
Why? Because, unless you can somehow translate feel/thump in the room, ANY amp is no better than a 5153.
And, to me, 5153s suck. Sorry/not sorry.

When I was on Ultimate-Guitar there was actually a Rule for NAD threads that said you had to provide 2 of the following 3 things.

Pics
Clips
Review

:LOL: :dunno: :D (y)(n):cool::eek::love::ROFLMAO::m17::thumbsup::scared::gethim::shocked::poke:

That probably partly explains how I got so many crappy clips :LOL:

Yeah cuz clips matter.......

Not.

In the "world of clips" a Mark III sounds JUST LIKE a C+. Nope.
In the "world of clips" Wizards suck. Terrible amp. Nope.
I got one....CLIPS SUCK.
Why? Because, unless you can somehow translate feel/thump in the room, ANY amp is no better than a 5153.
And, to me, 5153s suck. Sorry/not sorry.

albums are just clips though :dunno: why do we all care so much about what amps are on our favorite albums if it dosent really matter?

Back