NAD Mesa Mark III, but not sure which one.

frontline205

So this is my first Mesa that’s not a mark IV. I’m not sure if I like this as much because I haven’t run it through my full set up yet. So for it sounds really good none the less. It still has the Mesa 415 inner tubes and Mesa outter el34s from the era. Serial is #21999z Anyway trying to figure out which mark it is. It has no initials anywhere on the amp. No stripe but the serial is too big to be a black stripe. Maybe a previous owner cleaned it off? I took picture of it, any of you guys know what’s up.

Attachments

• IMG_3126.jpeg
    IMG_3126.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
Cool I’m planning on taking it to Mike to get the + mod based on talking with Gjgo. And for service I’m super excited. It’s not as tight as my mark iv but it’s got a character that other Mesa’s don’t. Can’t wait to play this on some v30’s

Cool I’m planning on taking it to Mike to get the + mod based on talking with Gjgo. And for service I’m super excited. It’s not as tight as my mark iv but it’s got a character that other Mesa’s don’t. Can’t wait to play this on some v30’s
Part of the tightness difference you're experiencing might have to do with the power section. Red stripes have the outer (Class A) sockets wired in triode instead of pentode (like the green stripe and Mark III). Mike B. could install a triode/pentode switch like the Mark IV.

There are people on this board who liked their stock Mark III more than after the + mod, so take that for what it's worth. Not sure how much he's charging for it.

I never use + with my mark III KRG and I’m always on ++ with everything pulled but the bass knob.

I do prefer my mark III over the prices collector rectos and IIB’s or IIC’s are going for. Fuck all that mess. The differences are there but not for the prices people are asking.

The Mark III Red Stripe that I owned was just insanely aggressive....Puts many "modern" amps to shame.
Ah yea, I'm playing it with a cheap 4x12 that has celestion G12n-65. I'm going to buy a Mesa 2002-2003 cab to really kick it in. Maybe even replace the tubes to something not as rare, those old school mesa's are hard to find.

Ah yea, I'm playing it with a cheap 4x12 that has celestion G12n-65. I'm going to buy a Mesa 2002-2003 cab to really kick it in. Maybe even replace the tubes to something not as rare, those old school mesa's are hard to find.
I personally like Mark amps with T75s or K85s/K100s. My favorite two cabs with them were the old Peavey Butcher/VTM 4x12 (K85) and the Bogner Uberkab (V30/T75 mix). A regular Marshall 1960 would be cool too.

Those STR415s will probably outlast any new tubes you install. A note about retubing Simulclass power sections: if you're going with all 6L6 tubes, you need to put a cooler pair in the outer sockets (preferably match group RED or YEL from Mesa). The inner pair should be GRY or GRN to match.

I personally like Mark amps with T75s or K85s/K100s. My favorite two cabs with them were the old Peavey Butcher/VTM 4x12 (K85) and the Bogner Uberkab (V30/T75 mix). A regular Marshall 1960 would be cool too.

Those STR415s will probably outlast any new tubes you install. A note about retubing Simulclass power sections: if you're going with all 6L6 tubes, you need to put a cooler pair in the outer sockets (preferably match group RED or YEL from Mesa). The inner pair should be GRY or GRN to match.
Awesome. There is a peavey butcher 4x12 at my local GC for half the price of the Mesa I was looking at. Your making me want to get that instead

every time i fire up my blue stripe i just smile! such an awesome iconic timeless tone.
wish i still had my modded uberkab but it went to a friend🥳

has any boogie players here ever experimented with a source audio eq in the loop?

Part of the tightness difference you're experiencing might have to do with the power section. Red stripes have the outer (Class A) sockets wired in triode instead of pentode (like the green stripe and Mark III). Mike B. could install a triode/pentode switch like the Mark IV.

There are people on this board who liked their stock Mark III more than after the + mod, so take that for what it's worth. Not sure how much he's charging for it.
before dealing with the costs and risks of shipping and mods, you might consider experimenting wth some pedals in front of the amp or in the loop.

putting the right something in the loop can really enhance the sustain and fullness.

Awesome. There is a peavey butcher 4x12 at my local GC for half the price of the Mesa I was looking at. Your making me want to get that instead

Do it! Just make sure it's not the later version with Sheffield speakers. If it's got cream piping, it should have K85s if it's still stock.

Do it! Just make sure it's not the later version with Sheffield speakers. If it's got cream piping, it should have K85s if it's still stock.
Picking up the Peavey tonight, and just found someone local selling some 96 T4355 V30 speakers with a Laney AOR cab. So I can have the K85 peavey, and a V30 loaded cab for the cost of one Mesa cab. Probably too much but I'll make it work LOL

I have a Mark IIC+ DRGX and a Mark III++ DRGX Blue Stripe. The IIC+ is unbelievably vicious but TBH the III++ is a better overall amp. It’s got the R2 Mod and an accompanying Switch Doctor footswitch making it essentially a four channel amp. It’s much smoother and darker than the IIC+ but sounds great.

Back