Need a versatile TS / Boost, what am I looking for.

Arion Tubulator, Bad Monkey. I like the Bad Monkey as it has bass and treble tone pots. Very versatile take on a TS clone...

thunda":24xojbc7 said:
Arion Tubulator, Bad Monkey. I like the Bad Monkey as it has bass and treble tone pots. Very versatile take on a TS clone...

The digitech bad monkey? Really?

I mostly use my Maxon 808 but honorable mention goes to the Xotic BB+. It is a dual drive pedal and you can use one or both drives together and even choose wich is first in chain. The left side has a three band EQ and is one of the best boosts for high gain I have tried.

Look at a Rangemaster clone. Naga Viper, or PlxFx Bion boost. Stacked into something like an 808 or SD-1, it's fucking stellar.

Crunchtime":1zsc4kou said:
I mostly use my Maxon 808 but honorable mention goes to the Xotic BB+. It is a dual drive pedal and you can use one or both drives together and even choose wich is first in chain. The left side has a three band EQ and is one of the best boosts for high gain I have tried.

Dang that Bb+ looks super versatile, especially for someone like me who uses a single channel amp. Never seen that one. Thanks.

Cusack Screamer, my favorite boost ever, the toggle gives it a lot of versatility. Its performed well with any amp I have ever used it with.

I'd say if the Maxon od808 doesn't work for you, another vote for the bb+. I've had one for a few years and it's really got tons of options and most importantly, they sound good

I ended up finding a guy selling three pedals in real need of cash so I got a dead horse, mx badass custom od and paisley drive for a song and a dance. I am gonna look at an 808x.

Back to the top! Ok so since making this thread I have tried a ton and here are my results

Liked/Kept
Airis Savage drive - gave this pedal another chance and I LOVE it this time around, it's amazing in every way

Greenhouse effects double edged - This this is very unique and very cool

VFE Ice scream - Really versatile and really great quality

MXR Custom badass OD - For like $35 used, this was an absolute steal. Super cool pedal.

Wampler Hot Wired V2 - Perfect for my country picking and I really like the versatility

Kartakou warmer - on it's way.

Not for me/sold

Maxon od808 - There was just something I couldn't put my finger on that I didn't care for. Not sure what exactly.

KHDK Ghoul screamer - Cool pedal but for the price, there's a LOT out there that keeps up or outdoes this pedal at what it does but at half the price or even less. All the mini switches really weren't that useful and I just felt the pedal was overpriced for what it is. It doesn't keep up with pedals in it's price point at all.

Paisley drive - Really nice pedal but I got offered a good trade and I didn't like it enough

Friedman BE-OD - One of the all out highest quality pedals I have ever used. Super versatile and really just an incredible pedal but I couldn't find a full time use for it. I think it's better served with a clean amp situation. It's the best distortion pedal I have ever tried though, it turns even bad clean tones into usable gainy tones.

Cusack Screamer V2 - I liked it but I liked a few of my other boosts better and I had a trade offer for it. I didn't feel the mini switch did a whole lot to change the tone.

Still wanna try
Suhr Koko Boost reloaded
Digitech Bad Monkey
Lunastone trueoverdrive
Xotic BB plus
Richie Kotzen OMG

Recommend me some more than I need to try and if you have any of the pedals I listed as still wanting to try, let me know if you want to sell them. Or if you have them and wanna give your review of it for me, let me know.

As a long time live country and rock lead shredder, my recomendations would be Visual Sound Route 66 and Bogner Harlow. Lately I prefer the Harlow. It's slightly less squishy, but more natural and organically compressed like a pushed tube amp. The bloom control is the crux of the pedal.

I've acheived excellent Paisley-esque tones with both. Both have been used for a variety of different lead tones.

Red_Label":hk2vbpis said:
As a long time live country and rock lead shredder, my recomendations would be Visual Sound Route 66 and Bogner Harlow. Lately I prefer the Harlow. It's slightly less squishy, but more natural and organically compressed like a pushed tube amp. The bloom control is the crux of the pedal.

I've acheived excellent Paisley-esque tones with both. Both have been used for a variety of different lead tones.

I was looking at the route 66 a ways back, I have heard that some of the early models are really noisey, which model are you rocking? It really interests me since the older models are going for really cheap. I will look into the Bogner!

Back