Need advice for my poor VH4

I bought my 2003-ish VH4 used YEARS ago. Sometime around 2007-2008 I think. I had owned a Herbert before then, and it was awesome, but for my needs a VH4 was what I wanted. I distinctly remember getting it and being a bit let down initially by what I heard. It sounded good, but not in the way I thought it would. It seemed to lack gain, punch, and was darker than I expected. regardless I loved it, and gigged the hell out of it...but I had no other VH4 to compare it too in person. Well recently I got a capture box, and made a direct capture through a load box. I then compared it too a fellow owner who did the exact same thing with the exact same settings. My tubes are not new, but not burnt out either.

This was the result. I know this isn't a direct a/b comparison because there's a few years difference between the amps, but I don't think it should be THIS drastic of a difference.

The first clip is my capture, the second is his. Gain is at 50% on both. Channel 3, mids full, bass- 3 o'clock, treble - 3:30. Presence and deep same as bass and treble.

If this is ringing any alarm bells so to speak for anyone who knows better I would very much appreciate some advice on steps to take next. I live in central IL, so not exactly close to any known Diezel repair shops lol. If I DO need to send it somewhere I will of course, it just makes me nervous because even if its broken, this amp is irreplaceable. Thanks!

Noah, this is my VH4, 2015 but with some components with old specs. At 12 o'clock it sounds dark as f..k. 6L6s, 31 mA. I copied your settings, first part is without the microamp, second part with it. Les Paul Custom with 80s DDJ in the bridge and Diezel Front loaded 4X12, the speaker miced is a 2001 UK V30, between the cone and the dust cap. With EL34s and the classic Mesa Oversized it would sound much much darker, sold my Traditional because it sounded honky for my taste, decided to go with Diezel FL but I'm selling it for the OS. Let me know what you think. Forgot to say, single SM57. Tad 7025 Premium selected "Pit spezial" in V1, I found one brand new in a friend's shop, I don't know how but that's it, V2-3 Tung Sol 12AX7, original Shuguang 12AX7B for all the other slots.

Last edited:
Back