Need some noise help

EightmanVT

Without too much preamble -= I've been getting back into the guitar a LOT after about a 10 year layoff. Since I've been back - I've primarily been using the Kemper just because it's so damn convenient. However, I really want to take one of my tube amps with me to next rehearsal. I seem to have forgotten whatever I used to think I knew about getting certain effects set up - but that will probably show up in a separate thread. My biggest issue is noise. I just can't shake the noise. Yes- I know high gain amps have hiss. That's not it. I'm talking about that high pitch squeal of feedback - and not the desired kind. In this case I'm using the BE-50D. I literally can't put anything in front of it without it squealing to death and that's really frustrating. Even a clean boost will send the hiss to really high levels - but that I could deal with - but it's the squeal as soon as the pickups are on that are tough to deal with. I can't get my vol knob down fast enough. I know I don't need a boost in front -but I like it. I like the tightness and punch it adds. Doesn't have to be a boost. I'd be content ust to leave my 4 knob Keeley Compressor on all the time as a substitute - but that thing seems noisy as hell.

Looking for some tips or tricks of the trade to help me make this rig more manageable.

PS. My 'j' key barely works - and I got tired of trying to correct them all. :)

Maybe dial the amps gain back a bit? Do you have a noise gate? I use a Decimator pedal and it works really well without any tone suck.

Racerxrated":33gub4xh said:
Maybe dial the amps gain back a bit? Do you have a noise gate? I use a Decimator pedal and it works really well without any tone suck.

Yes - I have played around with the gain - but I'd like to be able to use it at the level i have set. No - that's one pedal I don't have. My old rig set up was a GSystem and I used the NG and Comp that was built in. Do you think the Decimater might solve this? I was considering this possibility which is one reason I made this post. If the Decimater will kill this for me - I'll order one today.

EightmanVT":1qbx04dk said:
Racerxrated":1qbx04dk said:

Yes - I have played around with the gain - but I'd like to be able to use it at the level i have set. No - that's one pedal I don't have. My old rig set up was a GSystem and I used the NG and Comp that was built in. Do you think the Decimater might solve this? I was considering this possibility which is one reason I made this post. If the Decimater will kill this for me - I'll order one today.
It will help, absolutely..but if it is squealing it still might chirp a little before the gate shuts the signal. I find it a must have for me for about 10 yrs now, esp if you gig. I'd grab one. I have a first generation pedal, they have a few different versions but all work well. I put it before the amp, some guys like it in the loop.

Cool. I’m looking online at it - there’s a Gen II that links with another if I want to run one in front and in the loop. Drives me nuts that the Keeley Compressor is so noisy. Even the knobs are noisy. I sent them a note via email to see if I had a bad one but never heard back.

Sure you don't have a microphonic tube? Pencil test time.

Is it more than one tube [edit: I meant to say] guitar ?

My version 1 decimator is very quick, no squealing whatsoever and completely solves the problem you have just by putting it in front of the amp.

Pre-amp tube. Guitar. Cable. That's my guess. If that doesn't solve it, I would be stumped.

I could not have a rig that did that and live with it.

sutepaj":250xi9ah said:
100% sounds like a preamp tube.

It almost has to be. I am sure you have some around. If not, buy some extras.

I keep plenty of tubes around for stuff like that. Probably over a hundred, but that is excessive.

EightmanVT":klais88u said:
Cool. I’m looking online at it - there’s a Gen II that links with another if I want to run one in front and in the loop. Drives me nuts that the Keeley Compressor is so noisy. Even the knobs are noisy. I sent them a note via email to see if I had a bad one but never heard back.

Did you just send an email or put in a repair ticket? Here is a link to the ticket page. That doesn't sound right to have so much noise so I'd let them know and should be no problem getting it fixed:

https://robertkeeley.com/warranty/

Back to the overall noise issue, I'm finding that so many things affect my chain. My wiring in my house, the pedals, the gain, etc. I even have a "Sentry" noise gate pedal and it works ok but not perfect. I ended up getting a Furman Power Surge supply which is probably good anyway but all of those things together and still get a fair amount of noise.

LP Freak":phdrnn8f said:
Have you tried different guitars?

Yes. It varies a little - worse with the 2 Les Pauls I have but the squeal is always an issue.

swamptrashstompboxes":phdrnn8f said:
Sure you don't have a microphonic tube? Pencil test time.

Is it more than one tube [edit: I meant to say] guitar ?

Pretty sure it's not. Had some new preamp tubes put in - does the same thing on my JJ JR. While I still think the JR needs some tube help - the BE50D feels pretty solid till I try to drive it - I'm leaning hard towards the Noise Gate solution.

Now Decimator or Zuul...or? Damn internet .... too many options to research.

Filter500":phdrnn8f said:
My version 1 decimator is very quick, no squealing whatsoever and completely solves the problem you have just by putting it in front of the amp.

Yeah. I think this is the way I'm headed. Just trying to pick between the options - even with the Decimator II - I see there is also the G string - get paralysis by analysis easily.

romanianreaper":rsxpm0tn said:
EightmanVT":rsxpm0tn said:

Did you just send an email or put in a repair ticket? Here is a link to the ticket page. That doesn't sound right to have so much noise so I'd let them know and should be no problem getting it fixed:

https://robertkeeley.com/warranty/

Back to the overall noise issue, I'm finding that so many things affect my chain. My wiring in my house, the pedals, the gain, etc. I even have a "Sentry" noise gate pedal and it works ok but not perfect. I ended up getting a Furman Power Surge supply which is probably good anyway but all of those things together and still get a fair amount of noise.

I just sent a email using their "contact me" page - I will try the warranty link you posted. Thanks! Yes - I'm pretty familiar with a lot of those - and tried to do what I could to clean up the power. Pulled my old Furman conditioner out of my old rack and used that ust to try to make sure I wasn't picking up extra noise - even had my daughter turn all th elights off down here since I run all LED lights in the ceiling. I"m going to use the Kemper for tomorrow's practice but get a NG on order ASAP.

Back