New Charvel Pro Mods to come from Japan?

Chris O":29hlvmp4 said:
MYLILSS":29hlvmp4 said:
i dont see it in the pic anyways ... it is probably adjusted under the end of the fretboard like my charvel san dimas was ...

Yep. We've established that. The neck has to be removed to adjust the truss rod.

See, that's what I hate about them. The wheel found on those customs is FINE by me....wish it was on the rest of them. That's why I asked about them earlier about being on the headstock. I thought, "oh, cool...these can be adjusted there." Unfortunately, I have since been corrected on that. I knew that the "tele style" ones (which ever style # that is) had to be adjusted with the neck off. Kind of a pain in the ass really.

Digital Jams":j8my4ey6 said:
Toshiro":j8my4ey6 said:
Digital Jams":j8my4ey6 said:
That white does look very cool, $900 for a real floyd, duncans, hsc..............great times we live in.

$900 is what the USA's should have cost, $1099 if they came with an OFR instead of the Ping made one. Since I paid $800 for my SoCal brand new on a local close-out, I don't feel too bad about the Korean Floyd.

Good prices on these, I have too many guitars now though.... :LOL: :LOL:

The real question is wtf is up with Ibanez prices! If Fender can sell these for $899 then why are RG3550s $1500?!?!?!?!?!?

The biggest bar abusers I know have zero problems with the stock floyd, good enough for me.

Agreed about the price. Especially considering the hardware on the Charvel compared to the Ibby..

Chris O":39hqwwwi said:
FWIW, I live in Minnesota, and the weather changes are BRUTAL. I never had to adjust mine after the initial setup. The worst of it was having to loosen the locking nut to re-tune. They were all pretty stable.

I have to tweak my truss rods once or twice a year on average in my area, I just don't want to deal with it that's a poor design imo.

Is that why they are called So Cal's, because you have to live in So Cal's climate not to have to take the neck off to tweak the trussrod? :LOL: :LOL:

I bought my San Dimas Style 2 after playing it at The Music Zoo for about 20 minutes. I didn't know anything about the line except that I loved the one I had in my hands. So I just took it home. That's how you should always buy an instrument. I didn't realize at the time that the neck has to come off for a truss rod adjustment. That totally sucks IMO. But it wouldn't have stopped me from buying the thing.

Shit, I live in Florida where you have to adjust damn necks at least twice a year, and the truss rod doesn't bother me. I just check the thing right before a restring, pull the neck, do the tweak, restring, done. :thumbsup:

Once you touch one of these necks where the adjustment is will be meaningless.

Chubtone":1vdfh5aa said:
To those guys who can't stand the idea of taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod, how about installing one of these from Stew Mac?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/ ... &xsr=32928
If I didn't live in SoCal, I just might do that! :LOL: :LOL:

The only time I adjust truss rods is when I get guitars from out of state. And if I can't adjust it without taking off the neck - off to Joel at Grant Guitars it goes - I just can't be bothered at that point...

Steve

mixeduplydian":1eymlf55 said:
Wouldn't you have to do a little routing on the body to install that?
I think you would, but it may depend on the guitar. You'd certainly have to do some cutting on the neck... Any decent luthier could do it... Prolly wouldn't be cheap though...

Steve

sah5150":t1zfvd4k said:
mixeduplydian":t1zfvd4k said:
I think you would, but it may depend on the guitar. You'd certainly have to do some cutting on the neck... Any decent luthier could do it... Prolly wouldn't be cheap though...

Steve

Yeah, I'm thinking I may just have to save a little while and go custom shop.
Just put new windows in the house so I'll have to tough out the GAS pains for a while I suppose :cry:

mixeduplydian":1f2mpufp said:
sah5150":1f2mpufp said:
mixeduplydian":1f2mpufp said:

Steve

Yeah, I'm thinking I may just have to save a little while and go custom shop.
Just put new windows in the house so I'll have to tough out the GAS pains for a while I suppose :cry:
Well, look at it this way - the Custom Shops in general ARE a step above the USA Pro Mods in fit and finish, options etc. I'd say the ones I've played are like a nicely broken in Pro Mod. The special runs from Music Zoo (the 21 fret guitars) though are totally different animals. The necks are meatier and play differently from the regular Custom Shop and Pro Mod guitars. My Robin's Egg Blue one is a 21 fretter Music Zoo special run and the neck profile is almost identical to Curt's prepro... My crazy melting checkerboard is identical in neck profile to a USA Pro Mod and my dark blue/pickguard Custom Shop has a slightly fatter neck than a USA Pro Mod, but not as meaty as the 21 fret Robin's Egg Blue one...

Steve

I will probably go for something similar to your blue Charvel, but with a neck single coil and the pro mod neck profile. That's what made me fall in love with the new Charvels in the first place.
Had an original Charvel (U.S.) way back when, I loved that too, but I traded it for a '70's super lead in the '90's. Unfortunately the Marshall was stolen at a gig by some jerk-ass.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the blue Charvel run you Steve?

mixeduplydian":286jl83s said:
I will probably go for something similar to your blue Charvel, but with a neck single coil and the pro mod neck profile. That's what made me fall in love with the new Charvels in the first place.
Had an original Charvel (U.S.) way back when, I loved that too, but I traded it for a '70's super lead in the '90's. Unfortunately the Marshall was stolen at a gig by some jerk-ass.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the blue Charvel run you Steve?
In respect for the very nice deals The Zoo has given me, I won't reveal the actual selling price, but suffice it to say that I did not pay what they were asking...

Steve

sah5150":3plwrk4m said:
In respect for the very nice deals The Zoo has given me, I won't reveal the actual selling price, but suffice it to say that I did not pay what they were asking...
Understood, I can dig it :thumbsup:
donbarzini":3plwrk4m said:
Interesting observation. I just picked up an H/S Mahogany from TMZ and the neck is slightly fatter than the pro mod necks, edges are rolled more though, not much thicker but just enough for the pro mod to feel really thin after playing the TMZ for a while. It seems that the neck may be a tiny bit wider on the TMZ as well.
Interesting indeed. I wish I lived near the store (TMZ) so I could check one of those out. I love rolled edges, my Strat Deluxe has 'em and it really makes for a nice feel, and hey, a little extra girth never hurts, right? ;)

Hey Don, does the body have a clear coat, or is it an oil finish?

sah5150":33ahnxaj said:
I don't see what the big deal is with the wheel adjustment. :confused:

It doesn't change the cosmetics that much and it serves a great purpose - very functional...

fat_check_2.jpg

fat_check_4.jpg

Steve

I love that guitar, it is just sick!! :rock:

donbarzini":39s05vro said:
ttosh":39s05vro said:
sah5150":39s05vro said:
I don't see what the big deal is with the wheel adjustment. :confused:

It doesn't change the cosmetics that much and it serves a great purpose - very functional...

fat_check_2.jpg

fat_check_4.jpg

Steve

I love that guitar, it is just sick!! :rock:

we just bought the same carpeting for a portion of our basement remodel
How much is that carpet by the yard? Custom colors? Made in USA or China?

I think that is a new carpet, he had a much whiter one several years ago and when I questioned him he explained it was new.

I enjoy his studio's hardwood floors much more, they are very nice.

Back