NGD, almost

Geo

This guitar is on the way in. It's a strange bird. The serial number suggests an American Stratocaster 88-89.

Has anyone seen one of these? Is the Kahler trem factory? Is it normal to have Japanese Gotoh tuners on an American model?

dKahlerStr.jpg

A lot of different MIJ models had that bridge available and during the era that matches that serial 84-87 MIJ or 88/89 USA. The routing is kind of weird between the kahler and the bridge pickup though. The spacing of the dots at the 12th look MIJ as well as the black truss plug, but could be wrong. Better pull that guard and check the routing, maybe pull the neck too when it arrives. I hope I'm wrong and you didn't get taken.

A lot of different MIJ models had that bridge available and during the era that matches that serial 84-87 MIJ or 88/89 USA. The routing is kind of weird between the kahler and the bridge pickup though. The spacing of the dots at the 12th look MIJ as well as the black truss plug, but could be wrong. Better pull that guard and check the routing, maybe pull the neck too when it arrives. I hope I'm wrong and you didn't get taken.
Thanks for the info.

According to all the serial number look ups, it a US model but I hear that there is controversy over whether some were made in the US with some Japanese parts or visa versa. I have the ability to return the guitar but for what I paid for it, I could sell just the pickups and recover most of my money. Either way it's cool and I will make it play great once I get my hands on it.

Was thinking of putting a real Floyd on it if the bridge posts are the same distance apart. I will measure it tomorrow when it gets here.

Isn't that the same kahler they used on the HM Strats? I've always heard those were pretty killer

Anyone know where I can get those missing dust covers for the tuners? Is that even a thing?

Back