NGD...and...Disappointment.

mightywarlock

So I bought a guitar off of Reverb a few weeks ago, and it finally arrived today...
and...
well...
Here was the description...
"Selling my Ibanez SZ320EXWH 2007 Alpine White
This guitar has a really fast neck, quiet and reliable and provides an incredible tone. Really hard to find for sale online. One of the best you'll ever find out there.
Product Specs
Condition:Excellent"
SZ.jpg

Looks good right?

Well, when I saw the UPS guy carrying the box, I started feeling some dread coming on...
When I opened the box...I saw this...
BoxPacking.jpg

Uh oh...a guitar just thrown in the box with peanuts and thats it?
oh no...
Another UPS store packing disaster?

First thing I see is this...
on the back of the neck...
NeckDamage.jpg

I start getting annoyed...
Then I see this...by the input jack...
JackplateDing.jpg

and finally this...on the lower body area...
BodyDing.jpg

It just makes me wonder...this guitar was advertised as being in EXCELLENT Condition...
I know these are small issues, but...if I buy a guitar in Excellent condition, I would expect it to be basically like brand new...
Am I wrong?
I could deal with the dings on the body...
but when there is a ding on the back of the neck, where my hands go, it annoys me, and I don't think I can keep this guitar.
Which really sucks, because I have been looking for a White Ibanez SZ for awhile now...
:no:

Hate your disappOinted...it always sucks to not get what you expected.

I agree, not what I'd classify as excellent...about 7/10. The chewed up screws at the jack are concerning. Why has someone been in the input jack and why didn't they use a proper driver? Was it reworked for some reason...was that advertised? Is The person that chewed up the screws the same person that did the work?

Now you've got to either send it back or try negotiate what you consider a fair price...if the guys is willing to negotiate.

GL.

my hd500 that i recieved off reverb was just shipped in a usps box without any packing materials at all. it worked and was not damaged amazingly. the seller said he thought it would be fine-they make them pretty tough...

I once got a boss pedal shipped to me with my address sellotaped to th elid. The box wasnt even taped closed!
Anyone couldve opened it and taken the pedal - but weve got honest postmen =)

That's not excellent condition, for sure. I don't think any of that would bug me, but if you're not happy just demand a refund because it's not as described.

I cant imaging anything inside the box that could make those sharp dings. Although I dont agreed with the assessment of excellent meaning like new. I go by, New, Like New, Mint, From Excellent down, I think age factors in.

Most places will grade excellent as follows:

Excellent (Exc.) 90%: Light exterior finish wear with a few minor dings, no paint chips down to the wood, light oxidation on metal parts, normal nicks and scratches, light observable neck wear in most cases. No major problems or issues.

http://www.axecentral.com/guitar-gradin ... s-307.html

Yeah, you should get something back for that, whether it's partial or full refund. I won't share my amp in a box of packing peanuts horror story for the millionth time but I will share something else. I bought a gift on Amazon a few weeks back as a donation to a child for Christmas. It shipped without a box! The shipping label was stuck on the actual product box and it was beat up pretty badly. Couldn't believe that. People suck sometimes.

Three tiny blemishes? Wouldn't bother me, unless it was advertised as 'mint.' If it was someone's guitar who gigged regularly, I'd say it's in excellent condition. Also, depends on the price, I guess.

Those blemishes wouldn't bother me in least.

reverymike":1gw787rw said:
Three tiny blemishes? Wouldn't bother me, unless it was advertised as 'mint.' If it was someone's guitar who gigged regularly, I'd say it's in excellent condition. Also, depends on the price, I guess.

Those blemishes wouldn't bother me in least.

To each their own. Did the ad have pics of the dings and/or a description stating it had them?

If not I would expect zero dings for "excellent". Maybe some swirl scratches.

Luca79":1z70hrt4 said:
I'm not picky, but a dent in the neck is unacceptable.
Agreed, this would drive me crazy.

I'd return the guitar and submit a request for a refund from PayPal.

i would be upset..

I only purchased 1 guitar online ever in my life without seeing it in person. It shipped from NY to LA. Communicated specific packing suggestions I had to him and he did them.. Guitar showed up flawless in the end, but it was a LP in a hardcase (which probably helped)

In the future, I probably wont ever buy another guitar without seeing it in person, too risky to me

You guys, there is some established grading standards for guitars. You personal expectations and interpretations are subjective. Dings on an excellent condition guitar fall within the definition of excellent by some standards but not others. Most of your expectations fall within the mint rating. I'm just being objective here and reading various published rating scales. That being said, since this was bought through Reverb, they have their own rating scale that is much more conservative.

Excellent

When something's been used a bit but is still close to new, you can file it under Excellent. For newer gear, Excellent items should be free from blemishes and other visual defects. For vintage items, there maybe some marks here and there, but the item is still in the top echelon when compared to similar examples.

So, if I were you I would lean on the reverb definition as well as those types of marks would not not have likely occured during shipping and ask for a refund or discount

scottosan":3tv5j6km said:
You guys, there is some established grading standards for guitars. You personal expectations and interpretations are subjective. Dings on an excellent condition guitar fall within the definition of excellent by some standards but not others. Most of your expectations fall within the mint rating. I'm just being objective here and reading various published rating scales. That being said, since this was bought through Reverb, they have their own rating scale that is much more conservative.

Excellent

When something's been used a bit but is still close to new, you can file it under Excellent. For newer gear, Excellent items should be free from blemishes and other visual defects. For vintage items, there maybe some marks here and there, but the item is still in the top echelon when compared to similar examples.

So, if I were you I would lean on the reverb definition as well as those types of marks would not not have likely occured during shipping and ask for a refund or discount

Yep, while I agree the shipping was horrible I think scottosan is right here. Especially on a $300 guitar.

We bought a floor model Samsung refrigerator at Lowe's last week. We got them way down on price from the sticker. When it arrived the next day, I removed the large JD Power & Assoc. award medallion/magnet to find a very deep creased ding in the door. That magnet was totally put there to cover it up and probably would have been a deal killer, had we seen it before. But after it was covered with photos and postcards and the fridge was full of food, we decided to let it go.

Back