NGD - "I love the smell of nitrocellulose in the morning..."

A

Anonymous

One thing up front...

1.) I paid for this guitar full price and my opinion is based on my experience playing and building guitars and not my friendship with Curt, who did not ask me in any way to post anything about this guitar...

Ok... so you guys know I've owned tons of guitars and that I especially love Charvel Custom Shop guitars from any era. Well, as many of you know, actually getting anything from the Custom Shop that wasn't spec'd by The Music Zoo is just about impossible and the prices are sky high. Well, enter Chubtone Guitars - the new venture from Curt (Chubtone) here at rig-talk. He's been working on this venture with his partner for quite awhile now and just recently he started bringing his guitars to market and let me tell you, they are phenomenal!

I picked up #0016 yesterday and have been giving it a pretty thorough run-thru. I love this guitar! I opted for his "Pasadena Series" relic in Daphne Blue. 59/Custom Hybrid hum and two SSL-5 singles. One thing I love is that Curt got the vibe right with the headstock and branding - looks great - best non-strathead headstock I've seen for this type of guitar! Guitar is extremely resonant and sounds great through my rig. Very impressed with the 59/Custom Hybrid - really sounds great! The neck is incredible. Curt says it is patterned after a late '70s Boogie Bodies neck and it has a slight D to it - nothing like I've played previously, but comfortable as hell for me. Setup was perfect - this is how a guitar SHOULD be delivered to a buyer. Relic work is very tasteful and the nitro paint smells like candy :LOL: :LOL: This guitar is as good or better than my Custom Shop Charvels, and I don't say that lightly as they are my favorite guitars.

If you are looking for a guitar in the vein of the Charvel Custom Shop and actually want to get one NOW for a much more reasonable price, I suggest you talk to Curt. He's got stock now and he offers a couple of different neck profiles, bridges, pickup configs, etc. Absolutely phenomenal guitars and I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed. In fact, I'm getting a second one with different specs tonight! :rock:

Well done Curt! Check 'em out:

http://www.chubtoneguitars.com

Oh yeah, my obligatory, massive carpet pics :D :

daph_1.jpg

daph_2.jpg

daph_3.jpg

daph_4.jpg

daph_5.jpg

daph_6.jpg

daph_7.jpg

daph_8.jpg

daph_9.jpg

daph_10.jpg

daph_11.jpg

daph_12.jpg

daph_13.jpg

Steve

Awesome. I was chatting with Curt the other days about these. I likes the fiesta red and orange guitars.

psychodave":1a7w8oq5 said:
Awesome. I was chatting with Curt the other days about these. I likes the fiesta red and orange guitars.
Fiesta red is mine, now!

Steve

Damn! That #10, vanilla shake is sweet as! The pricing is unbelievable to boot!

I wonder if he offers different fretboard radius options..........

Thanks for the review, and damn, that was the one I was looking at - snoozing and loosing and all that I guess!

First of all, thank you Steve for buying one and for the review. These have been a long, long time coming. I am going to write something up about this endeavor and post it soon.

While I welcome Steve's glowing review, it makes me quite nervous too. We are doing our best with these guitars and have been trying so hard to get things just right. Neck contours, body contours etc. There have been so many prototypes. What he is comparing us to I consider the holy grail in guitars and I'm not sure it's possible to surpass that. Our goal is to come really, really close and at this point, we are priced about $1k less so... that's something.

The reason this all took so long is we wanted to self-finance and we wanted to build some inventory. We didn't want to build a guitar or two in a garage and say, "Hey, you want me to build you a custom guitar?".

So, we did this and now we launching:

Please like us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Chubtone-Guita ... 401593115/

NaturalBornBoy":2r1rfk0m said:
Damn! That #10, vanilla shake is sweet as! The pricing is unbelievable to boot!

I wonder if he offers different fretboard radius options..........

That is no problem.

We went with a 12 degree radius as that is what one of my favorite, most comfortable necks I have ever played has. I like compound radius too, but just prefer the 12 degree from top to bottom.

Chubtone":1c5x4dvq said:
While I welcome Steve's glowing review, it makes me quite nervous too. We are doing our best with these guitars and have been trying so hard to get things just right. Neck contours, body contours etc.
I just calls 'em as I sees 'em, bro :) - my personal opinion is the one I have nails what I want in these guitars...

Steve

Congrats Steve!

And congrats Curt! Those look great. I would have a really hard time choosing with all those options.

I bought #09...can't wait to get it. I'm having Curt change a couple of things on it before he delivers.

paulyc":8h4ds551 said:
I bought #09...can't wait to get it. I'm having Curt change a couple of things on it before he delivers.

You got a lovely one, dude!

I think that brass volume knob is a really nice touch. Much nicer than if he were to have used chrome.

What changes are you having done?

Back