Nitro or 5153 or... (AKA NAD)

ChadVanHalen

So I've brought this up a couple times but the band I'm in has started going a more saturated metal tonez over OD'd Marshall so my QR isn't really giving me what I need...

So been saving up and was planning on putting money down for a Nitro, you know support American made and shit, but I've always had a nagging feeling that a 5153 would be the last amp I'd ever need... And I know of one of those limited edition 5153s with red white and black stripes half stack going for 2.5 which isn't bad at all

So for something a little heavier than a hot rod Marshall that gets a little gainy and heavier should I support home made and put my down payment on a Nitro or break down and finally get a 5153?

:hys: You said, "but I've always had a nagging feeling that a 5153 would be the last amp I'd ever need"

Don't get me wrong - the 5153 is an awesome amp......but something tells me that eventually, you WILL NEED a different amp. GAS hits us all - in time. I commend you if you've dodged the bullet thus far. lol

Good luck in your quest!

IceMan":1dlwrf94 said:
:hys: You said, "but I've always had a nagging feeling that a 5153 would be the last amp I'd ever need"

Don't get me wrong - the 5153 is an awesome amp......but something tells me that eventually, you WILL NEED a different amp. GAS hits us all - in time. I commend you if you've dodged the bullet thus far. lol

Good luck in your quest!

Being a 22 year old working two jobs I could never justify picking up another amp with the Splawn I already had... Except now that the band wants something a tad heavier...

So those limited edition Ed striped ones go for a pretty penny and getting a head and cab for 2.5 isn't bad, but I don't really need another 4x12 and there's just a normal 5153 head at my local GC (Thanks Brent, I totally wasn't planning on checking there) should I hold out a few weeks and get the limited edition one, keep the beater Marshall at the space and use the EVH one for shows for an extra grand or just go pick up the 5153 now haha

Or go for a Nitro, a lot of guys around here are big on Splawn and big on EVH, so opinions on shooting between the two would be nice... Because I might just make a quick stop at my local GC and pick up a 5153 haha

Badronald":r6c44tc2 said:
I couldn't imagine selling my Splawn Quickrod for a 5153, but hey it's your amp man.
Good luck.
I'm definitely not selling the QR haha been saving up for another amp, was planning on getting a Nitro but my gaze keeps glancing to the EVH...

As much as I love my 5153 50 watt, I will take the Splawn quick rod anyday over it.

It's just a better overall amp in every area hands-down .

You have a great amp, the 5153 is a downgrade from it imo, BUT, as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

ChadVanHalen":33w0xfdp said:
Badronald":33w0xfdp said:
I couldn't imagine selling my Splawn Quickrod for a 5153, but hey it's your amp man.
Good luck.
I'm definitely not selling the QR haha been saving up for another amp, was planning on getting a Nitro but my gaze keeps glancing to the EVH...

Understood.
I use my 6505+ all the time. It's in the same ballpark as the EVH. I'd say do it. Guys seem to dig the EVH. I've never used one in a band setting but I'm sure it sounds great.
Good luck.

Just get a Used Peavey 5150 for 5-600 and call it a day. Can also get great hard rock tones too, so would have a life beyond the Brootz.

skoora":1d014r3g said:
Just get a Used Peavy 5150 for 5-600 and call it a day. Can also get great hard rock tones too, so would have a life beyond the Brootz.

I agree, get the used one.

Check out the KSR Ares. It can get super heavy and the crunch channel for hot rodded Marshall style tones as well. You can also put in any power tube you desire.

Greetings . The EVH 5150 III Red/Black/ head/cab is only for cosmetics only. That would be cool to add to the collection if you can snag it for a good price. If you are looking for a heavier tone the only channel you may be happy with in this case will be channel three. The 50 watt head and combo's have a smidge more gain then the 100 watt head. I have experience with the EVH 100 watt head, 2 X12 combo and the 100 watt stealth head. If you are looking for the last amp you will ever get in the EVH line you will want to get the EVH Stealth. This is if only you are looking for a gained out amp. I have owned one of these since the second release and am still very happy with it. I still have my EVH combo and run it in stereo with the stealth. The stealth is a monster of an amp. Is it the best amp ever and will it be the last amp you will ever want ? Probably not.
If you already own a Splawn, How cool would it be to own a Quick Rod and a Nitro ? That would be awesome. I auditioned for a band one time and the other guitar player had A Splawn Quick Rod it was a great sounding amp. I have seen plenty of video on the Nitro and they also sound great. If it was me and I already owned a splawn I would go for number two and get the Nitro.

Glad to hear you're keeping the QR. I'd say amp #2 needs to be drastically different as far as sounds and features.

Try and play a bunch of em if you can.

I'll add Bogner Uber and Diezel Hagen since nobody mentioned yet.

Two metal zones in series into a Fender Ultimate Chorus.........but they have to be Japanese from the fukyomama factory circa '89 or it's a total trainwreck.

........thank me later.

skoora":12ur788w said:
Two metal zones in series into a Fender Ultimate Chorus.........but they have to be Japanese from the fukyomama factory circa '89 or it's a total trainwreck.

........thank me later.
You know what, thanks for all the suggestions everyone but I'll be doing this from now on, even selling the QR to fund such a purchase

And no, I've yet to even touch a Nitro but there's some on eBay for under grand. I'm probably going to the local GC and try out the 5153, if I like I'll try to get the price down as far as they'll go, take it home with me for a month, take it to rehearsals, see what the guys think and if it's not what I'm looking for return it, no harm no foul except being out about a grand for a few weeks.

The only issue with the Nitro is outside of YouTube clips I have no way to try one out here in SLC. I like what I hear from the YouTube clips and I like funding a small company like Splawn and if I ever do go to a gig and do the 2 Splawns into a Headbone into my cab thing (which is a drag to set up) it'll definitely look better... But this dude on eBay has been trying to sell his Nitro for months so I'm worried I'll never be able to turn it over if I get it and it's just not what I need

Also to the Stealth, I like the features they've added but aren't they still a limited release?... And more expensive than a new Splawn anyway

skoora":ghp7hf46 said:

........thank me later.

Is there a demo of this somewhere

BrentSSL":22y7fexv said:
skoora":22y7fexv said:

........thank me later.

Is there a demo of this somewhere

Just need to search You Tube, but it's probably in Cyrillic and the audio might not be that clear from the dashboard cam. Those Ruskies know tone, especially when it's running into a farm truck on the highway.

Back