Non-fine tremo modification

Hooligan

Cheers everyone. I'm not much of a techie when it comes to the engineering of the guitar, I got the basics down. Nonetheless, I have been considering swapping out my 2016 Charvel So Cal Floyd Special with a Non-Fine Tuner Floyd, then remove the locking nut. I have a number of guitars with a Floyd and I want something that I can easily adjust tunings. Is it as simple as a simple swap or am I going to have to make a lot of adjustments and make modification to the body. I have a luthier that I can have do this work but didn't want to reach out to him before I got some feedback from this crew. And before people say buy another guitar or lock it out. I know I have other options, I am curious if what I am asking is possible and what I should considering before modifying my guitar like that. Thanks for the constructive feedback. :cool:

Floyd-like systems may be pain in.. there. It's better to talk with your guitar tech first.

Cheers everyone. I'm not much of a techie when it comes to the engineering of the guitar, I got the basics down. Nonetheless, I have been considering swapping out my 2016 Charvel So Cal Floyd Special with a Non-Fine Tuner Floyd, then remove the locking nut. I have a number of guitars with a Floyd and I want something that I can easily adjust tunings. Is it as simple as a simple swap or am I going to have to make a lot of adjustments and make modification to the body. I have a luthier that I can have do this work but didn't want to reach out to him before I got some feedback from this crew. And before people say buy another guitar or lock it out. I know I have other options, I am curious if what I am asking is possible and what I should considering before modifying my guitar like that. Thanks for the constructive feedback. :cool:

You can check the schematics on the Floyd Rose website. Look for the PDF link.

Non-fine Tuner

Floyd Rose Special

Giving it a quick look over, both trems have a 74mm post-to-post measurement, the maximum length (knife edge to adjustment screw) on the non fine tuner is 50.09mm vs 58mm for the Special, and the string spacing is comparable (10.8mm for the NFT, 10.7 for the special. You won't notice a tenth of a millimetre difference). The only issue I can see is that the NFT is 94mm wide (baseplate from bass to treble), vs. 90mm for the Special.

If your Special's route is tight to the bridge, your tech would need to route it slightly wider. But it should be a drop-in replacement otherwise. I'm not certain if the posts match or other details like that. You'd want to check with your tech to be sure, but the schematics look like a match from a cursory glance.

Back