Not using splawn to its full potential need advice?!

Old Marshall Vs Splawn

• Old Marshall

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Splawn

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

sebby123

So Ive been meaning to post a NAD for awhile(For my Quickrod), Ive been more than happy with it but i feel im not using it like i should i run it on the lowest gain setting as a plexi slight breakup and use a Old Boss GE-10 For all my Dirt, The cleans are horrid though IMO. And i prefer to use my volume knob for clean, So the amps basically set to a plexi tone all the time, I like my tone to have a EVH brown vibe but i like a smoother high end and a little more compression, Which i get with the splawn, Basically Im thinking about selling the splawn and getting a Old Stock JMP or Plexi and running it like i do the splawn and clean up with a detox Eq or keep using my volume knob i have a feeling it would sound better than what the splawns emulating in Gear 1 OD1.
Also having a good loop is kind of important to me...
Anyways Rig-talk brethren share your thoughts :rock:

P.S. i kinda forgot the whole reason i posted this thread the QR is just way to tight sounding and i want something with more sag to it which maybe a SL or JMP might fit the bill better.

I have an old Marshall and a QR. They're different enough to warrant keeping both.

I think ill try switching out the speakers in my cab before i make a decision,Im sure the amp will sound alot better and not as tight with greenback type speakers than the V30's in my Port City right now.

Vrad: Im not really in a finacial state to have both though...

sebby123":x4cj5he6 said:
I think ill try switching out the speakers in my cab before i make a decision,Im sure the amp will sound alot better and not as tight with greenback type speakers than the V30's in my Port City right now.

Vrad: Im not really in a finacial state to have both though...

Then keep what you got.

sounds like youre talking your way right out of the Quickrod.

Splawns are very sensitive to tube, speaker and guitar changes. I basically use one guitar and have built my sound from that one guitar. Any other guitar I play through it I have to really adjust my ears because I want it to sound like my main guitar...make sense? :confused:

at any rate Splawns are killer amps but obviously not for everyone ;)

btw...you wouldnt happen to have all tung sols in there would you?

^ I kinda have the same thought process but the approach is with multiple guitars instead. I got things built around the "hardware", as in amp settings, favorite speaker (that covers all desired tones well enough), mic (x2) placement, etc. Then I just reach for the right guitar/pedal for the right job, like the "software app", lol - the So-Cal with Super Distortion/PAF Pro for tight lead (but still has some nice sag when I roll the volume back), Wolfgang for balanced rhythm (its not as 'throaty' sounding as my Charvel), Ibanez with Tone Zone and PAF Pro for cleans (alder with AA maple top), etc.

I would say just give the Splawn some more time! You said its new. There is a learning curve to these things, thats fo sho. The tightness tossed me for a loop for about two weeks, then like magic it clicked. Also, many owners have already done the homework for ya, and many have found the v30 to not be an ideal speaker with the QR (some DO like it though, but not most). FWIW, I have a stock JCM800 (I know, not plexi in tone) in primo condition that never gets turned on now, only keeping it for the collectable value, its a killer amp but the QR covers the same ground and then some (for me)...

My advice is if you can get your tone out of the Splawn then Id keep it because if you buy another amp it might be a crap shoot. Also in my humble opinion Id ace the v30's and go with the greenbacks. It might give you the feel that you are looking for.

I'd just keep the Splawn. That's partially because I have had nothing but bad luck with Marshalls and the Splawn Nitro that I had was the most consistent sounding amp that I have ever owned.

Keep the Splawn. I still kick myself for letting mine go :(
They are great f'n amps.
Worse case get a Marshall (or whatever) and put the Splawn in the closet or something.
(I haven't turned on my Fortin Plexi once in 2010...but I'm not getting rid of it after learning my lesson with my Splawn)

My advice is this. I have a '70 Super Tremolo and a '72 Super Lead and a Mojave Peacemaker so I'd say my "plexi" style Super Lead tones are covered. I also have an '83 JCM800 so that fills the sound of what you call a JMP. My Splawn on Gear 1 OD1 with a boost pedal is killer. I dare say I prefer it to any of the other four amps with a boost pedal. The Super Leads do the vintage, classic rock thing better but everything else the Splawn does better. I personally don't like Vintage 30's with the Splawn. G12H30's or greenbacks or Splawn Small Bolcks or Big Blocks all sound better.

As for the tightness of the Splawn, that is in the EQ'ing of the amp. Experiment with some strange settings. Try Presence off, Bass at 9 o'clock, Mids at 12 o'clock and treble at 10 o'clock. That makes the amp much spongier and right in the ballpark for EVH. For a little meaner and more 80's modded Marshall tones try the Presence at 3 o'clock the Bass at 10 o'clock the mids at 10 o'clock and the treble off.

These EQ settings really make the amp feel more like an old Marshall. I just think with the amp you have and the consistency and the tones it is capable of that an old Marshall will be a crapshoot. If you could find a well-built metro clone that would be a good choice but still for one amp, I'd stick with the Quick Rod and ditch those V30's.

Chubtone":37l16vz4 said:
My advice is this. I have a '70 Super Tremolo and a '72 Super Lead and a Mojave Peacemaker so I'd say my "plexi" style Super Lead tones are covered. I also have an '83 JCM800 so that fills the sound of what you call a JMP. My Splawn on Gear 1 OD1 with a boost pedal is killer. I dare say I prefer it to any of the other four amps with a boost pedal. The Super Leads do the vintage, classic rock thing better but everything else the Splawn does better. I personally don't like Vintage 30's with the Splawn. G12H30's or greenbacks or Splawn Small Bolcks or Big Blocks all sound better.

As for the tightness of the Splawn, that is in the EQ'ing of the amp. Experiment with some strange settings. Try Presence off, Bass at 9 o'clock, Mids at 12 o'clock and treble at 10 o'clock. That makes the amp much spongier and right in the ballpark for EVH. For a little meaner and more 80's modded Marshall tones try the Presence at 3 o'clock the Bass at 10 o'clock the mids at 10 o'clock and the treble off.

These EQ settings really make the amp feel more like an old Marshall. I just think with the amp you have and the consistency and the tones it is capable of that an old Marshall will be a crapshoot. If you could find a well-built metro clone that would be a good choice but still for one amp, I'd stick with the Quick Rod and ditch those V30's.

Very good advice.

I had a 2007 QR and I honestly just plugged straight in or used a TS-808 or BB preamp for any kick. It was a seriously solid
amp with HUGE Heyboer's and it was LOUD !!! I mainly used my 87 Jubilee straight with G-12T75's or my Soldano Slant with V-30's.
I was very happy with the tone until I heard it through a Splawn cab with Small Block's. Like buttah !!!!

Thanks guys! I think i just needed some rig-talk tough love, I should add that ive never been happier with my tone i do really love this amp but the geek in me is allways thinking of alternatives, Ill try some new speakers :thumbsup:
Im still debating if i should put some greenies in my port city or just sell it and get a splawn 4x12.
Plugged in this morning and i thought "Why would i ever sell this!" :doh:

Funny comments say go splawn but poll says marshall :LOL: :LOL:

Lord Toneking":35spuqrn said:

Splawns are very sensitive to tube, speaker and guitar changes. I basically use one guitar and have built my sound from that one guitar. Any other guitar I play through it I have to really adjust my ears because I want it to sound like my main guitar...make sense? :confused:

I had mullards but just got a full set of Sino pres and power tubes.

Mailman1971":myi5niuv said:
sebby123":myi5niuv said:
Plugged in this morning and i thought "Why would i ever sell this!" :doh:

When I ask myself the same question?
Its the Gear slut in me talking..... :LOL: :LOL:

:thumbsup: Need to try some greenies though i think thats whats missing.

i think you need a loop volume control
My nitro sounds bad ass when I crank the master volume past 12:00-13:00 and use the special loop volume knob to control my main volume in gigs. For solo boost, I just use an EQ in the loop because the solo function doesn't do anything if you use massive loop volume drop.

It sounds good with my Mesa V30.
Some said they're different then normal v30.. I dunno maybe?

wizardy":34h4xyay said:
i think you need a loop volume control
My nitro sounds bad ass when I crank the master volume past 12:00-13:00 and use the special loop volume knob to control my main volume in gigs. For solo boost, I just use an EQ in the loop because the solo function doesn't do anything if you use massive loop volume drop.

It sounds good with my Mesa V30.
Some said they're different then normal v30.. I dunno maybe?

I only use the amp for practice and live and always have my volume at noon, the solo function works great for me, we have a very hard hitting drummer which i love so it lets my amps get to there cooking point.
It does sound great with vintage 30's.
Im at 95% happy with my tone and i think the greenies will get me to that 100%

Lord Toneking":3ue3kgdb said:

I know I'm resurrecting this post but have guys had problems with Tung Sols in the QR? Maybe that is why I couldn't get the tone I was after when I had my QR. Uuuugghhh why did I sell that amp :doh:

quinnethan":1485xqn9 said:
Lord Toneking":1485xqn9 said:

I know I'm resurrecting this post but have guys had problems with Tung Sols in the QR? Maybe that is why I couldn't get the tone I was after when I had my QR. Uuuugghhh why did I sell that amp :doh:

BTW Im selling mine with a full new sino set power and pre sounds great! but since i just left my band im going back to the axe-fx for bedroom playing :thumbsup:

sebby123":3ofvnalj said:
quinnethan":3ofvnalj said:
Lord Toneking":3ofvnalj said:

BTW Im selling mine with a full new sino set power and pre sounds great! but since i just left my band im going back to the axe-fx for bedroom playing :thumbsup:

Here's a quick and (IMO) great way to make the QR bedroom-friendly.

Get a Roland SDE 1000 (I got mine for $79. I've seen them top-out at $100). It's a great-sounding delay. Put it in the QR loop and turn the input attenuation down. Crank the volume on the QR and voila. Sounds like a rock concert at bedroom volumes.

Back