Older VH4s vs Newer VH4s

Veritas0Aequitas

Hey all,

I used to have a 2002 VH4S about 7 years ago and I really liked the tones I got out of it. I felt like it cut more and was more saturated maybe? This 2007 VH4 I have struggled to really like as much. It feels "smoother" and is not cutting as much as I feel like it should. I've heard the newer VH4 amps have gotten better and better. I just struggle with my 2007.

I have to have the bass and depth down to 7/8 o'clock and the presence cranked to 4 o'clock to get it to cut and not be too bassy. Treble is about 2 o'clock, mids are 10/11 o'clock-ish. Gain is about 1 o'clock. Talking mainly channel 3 here but channel 2 as well.

Does anyone have some insight into this? For the difference, I was thinking of selling my 2007 and getting a newer one if it's that much better. I have EL34 B-STR tubes in mine which I loved in my 2002 VH4S and have so far been my favorite tubes I've tried in the VH4. All new pre-amp tubes too.

Definitely could use some help and insight here. Thanks!

That presence sounds pretty high for setting.

Are you not pleased with "in the room" sound or "mic'd" ??

Ya, there are some variations out there with the earliest models to the pre-2007 then pre-2012(??) models etc. All refinements, not "dramatic circuitry changes". Could be bottles - get some fresh glass in there - new pre's, PI, and PTs - I dig the KT77s - they add sizzle. I have some stock JJ KT77 which I'm super surprised with so far, and as for replacement - usually GL-KT77 (Genalex) or PreferredSeries by www.thetubestore.com

Hard to say what your secret sauce is missing - sometimes it's just a drifting bias point and it needs a little tweak to get ya back up and running; sometimes it's a tried phase inverter. Sometimes it's our ears.

Let us know what you do!!
Peace
UnkleMo

Yeah I’d be up for that…always preferred the older vh4 anyways. Regarding the issue of your OP, do you think it’s a technical problem or what?
So here' what I think honestly....

My first VH4 was a 2002 VH4S. I frankly wonder if I just have that tone stuck in my head. Subtle ones though. The amp works great but I just wonder if it's a characteristic of me trying to get the amp to act differently or sound differently than it wants to. I just had a certified Diezel amp tech in Denver look at it and he said everything was fine. He also biased it with a brand new matched quad of EL34 B-STR tubes. It's a lot like the VH4S I had, but different. I dunno. Maybe it's the fact it's not an "S" or I'm just looking for a different tone all together.

At this point, and based on videos I've listened to, I want to try a newer VH4. I think that's actually the sound/tone I'm looking for overall.

What do you like about the older VH4 vs the newer ones?

I just listened to a blue face demo and my jaw hit the floor. Sounded raw , punchy and huge . I’ve been after a vh4 for a while everyone says go herbie if you play metal. But I can’t get over that vh4 mid range thing gets me every time .,

I just listened to a blue face demo and my jaw hit the floor. Sounded raw , punchy and huge . I’ve been after a vh4 for a while everyone says go herbie if you play metal. But I can’t get over that vh4 mid range thing gets me every time .,
Out of curiosity, which demo did you hear? Not many clips of them out there on YouTube, but yes they are pretty special amps those Blueface's. I've a got '97 one myself. No Herbert will sound as heavy, huge or raw guaranteed

Out of curiosity, which demo did you hear? Not many clips of them out there on YouTube, but yes they are pretty special amps those Blueface's. I've a got '97 one myself. No Herbert will sound as heavy, huge or raw guaranteed
Their is one listed on reverb . Dude just did a in the room demo . No Mics etc and it sounded damn good like that . So I can’t imagine the real thing

Back