OT: Pistol gripping

kannibul

I admit, when it comes to pistols I'm pretty green.

Here's some shots of two different grips, which would you consider "better' than the other?

Attachments

• GRIP-1-Left-grey.jpg
    GRIP-1-Left-grey.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,462
  • GRIP-1-Right-grey.jpg
    GRIP-1-Right-grey.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,466
the other shot

Attachments

• GRIP-2-Left-grey.jpg
    GRIP-2-Left-grey.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,459
  • GRIP-2-Right-grey.jpg
    GRIP-2-Right-grey.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,463
Try both and see whichever one you like better. I know a lot of pros use the 2nd one, but I've seen a lot of police officers use the 1st.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":056fb said:
Try both and see whichever one you like better. I know a lot of pros use the 2nd one, but I've seen a lot of police officers use the 1st.

Is there a website out there that shows other grip styles?

BTW - I got the Springfield XD-9 (9mm)

The second's what I use mostly, it feels more natural, comfortable, and balanced. Nice buy, let us know how you like the XD.

>|<>QBB<
StevieRaveOn":28b80 said:
The second's what I use mostly, it feels more natural, comfortable, and balanced. Nice buy, let us know how you like the XD.

I saw the second one posted on an XD-forum, relating on how to grip the sub-compact 3" XD, but could be done with any of them.

The second one feels more comfortable at home, haven't tried firing it that way yet.

From what I've read on the XD, they're in the same range as GLOCK for reliability - there was a 20K round test, including the GLOCK torture test that I read about, and it never jammed or misfired."

I like the grip better - the angle is more natural... I've fired only 55 rounds through the XD-9 (fired 20 through the GLOCK 17), and it feels pretty good - I just gotta work out my stance, grip and how I sight to become more on-target, but, my shots are more consistently off target with the XD than with the GLOCK - I keep hitting low and left about 4" within a 10" pattern, forming a general line of 45deg, from what I've read so far, that's because I'm anticipating the recoil and torquing it a bit prior to the round going off. Practicing with dry fire should help cure that... :)

Most of the time when you're shooting low and to one side, it's because you're punching the trigger instead of squeezing it, and because you're flinching a bit anticipating the recoil. Not really flinching, but stabbing forward with the gun trying to counter the recoil. Most people pull the the right, but I've seen people do what you're doing. My cousin does that when he shoots my Glock.

Next time you shoot, have someone go with you, and only load 1 shell in the magazine. After you shoot, have your friend load another into the gun/mag and give it back to you. Don't watch them load it, so that at some point they're giving you an unloaded gun and you think you're shooting a loaded one. What I'm saying is to have them purposefully trick you. When you end up trying to dry fire it, you'll see exactly what you're doing.

It's one of those things that you learn to conquer after shooting a while.

As far as holding the gun, do what feels comfortable to you.

One of the things I read in a book somewhere basically says that you're supposed to hold the gun firmly with your right hand, so that the fleshy part of your thumb web bulges out a little at the back of the gun from holding it tightly. (You have to hold a semi auto tight, or you can get mis fires from the gun being able to move) Then you take your left hand, and hold it open and place the forward knuckle of your right hands pinky int othe exact center of your left hand. Then wrap your left hand around your right.

As far as thumbs, I like my left thumb to cross over the top of my right thumb. But either of those positions are fine, pick whatever works for you.

As far as your shooting stance goes, there's a lot of different ways, but the main thing is to have your body in a forward "attack" position leaning your body into it. You can have your feet placed at shoulder width, but I prefer to have my left foot leading my right foot.

Oh yeah, don't lock your elbows.

I don't know if anyone told you this, but one of the best things you can do is free. Take your gun to a safe place to shoot, and dry fire it a lot. Work on your stance, and trigger pulling with the gun unloaded, or put a spent shell into the chamber if you're worried about damaging the firing pin. Shoot, pull the slide back far enough to cock the gun, (usually 1/4-1/2 inch is far enough) and do it over and over again. It'll get your familiar with the trigger, and you can test different firing positions without worrying about the recoil.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":84394 said:
I'm not an expert, but I've shot quite a few times and even had a few medals for marksmanship in the Air Force. But I think I just have a natural ability to hit targets. Whether it's with a shotgun, rifle, pistol, BB gun, blowgun, slingshot, etc... I've just always been a good shot. Not sure what that's about, but anyway...

I haven't shot a gun in years, but I used the first grip above. If I remember right, that's the way they trained us. Seems like they said that right handed shooters using that grip should "push" out a little with your right hand and "pull" back a little with your left hand. That will make the gun more stable.

But then again, I could just be dreaming that up... lol

Definitely. Push with your right hand, pull against it with your left. I forgot about that.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":2e2b5 said:
>|<>QBB<

Oh cool. I'm not losing it! Nah, seriously... I'm not a big gun guy (don't own any), but I absolutely loved shooting them. My dad was a police officer (the Chief of Police, actually) and had trophies all over the house from where he won or placed high in shooting competitions around the state. Pretty cool. He and I don't get along and never did, but he did take me to the range a few times to shoot and I always dug that.

Then in the Air Force, you don't get your own assigned gun or anything like that. You had 1 day training on how to break it down and build it back up, then they just hand you a gun every 2 years and have you shoot it. So that's really the only times I got to shoot. It's fun stuff, though and for some reason, I'm good at it.

It's not for everyone, but I've always loved guns and shooting. Grandpa had quite a few guns, but dad never did. I used Grandpas guns to hunt until dad bought me some and I bought my own. I've got a bench in my basement where my cousins and I do all our reloading, and I've even got a shooting lane behind my house where I target practice and shoot. One of the benefits of living out in the sticks and having some land I guess.

It depend on the person. Both will work but one will be your feel :)

I hold at my wrist. Been doing this for years and can hit very good.

>|<>QBB<
CharFace":2aa02 said:
>|<>QBB<

:hys:

Arguably not the best for accuracy, but when you absolutely, positively have to put a cap in someone's ass...

I would laugh as the recoil would flip it out of the "thug"'s hand and cracks himself in the chin....or the slide comes back and cuts open the bottom of his palm...

lol
---------------

I went shooting a bit ago - I think I did pretty good for only my second time...

I hit the paper with most of my shots.... :?

Pics coming soon of my last 50 (target is 30/20)...Liz is at her sister's baby shower w/ camera...distance I think was 45-50ft.

One other thing, and I take it as user-error - it didn't eject a cartidge completely one time - I think the rear of the cartidge ran into the nose of the round still in the clip, preventing it from going out all the way. The gun-shop guy said I probably didn't oil it (chamber)well or often enough (recommended every 35-50 rounds fired to oil the ramp, chamber and slide) - which all I had done was oiled the slide before taking it down there.

Once I got that cleared, it fired the rest of the day no problem - and I shot 100 rounds total. This was during my second clip, which my first clip was only 3 rounds, wiuth the second being 10 rounds - the one after awas a full clip (16), and I remember it took me forever to go through that clip and I had no problems. I finished off that box, and went on to shoot another box of 50 without issue. Maybe it was a round that was slightly too long or something (bullet not seated in the brass as far as it should be?) - or it could have been that it just didn't eject correctly...

I have found that I am incredibly accurate if I don't get in a hurry - even being in somewhat of a hurry and flicking my finger back, I am fairly accurate - just when I get in a hurry (mentally thinking I'm almost done) - I'll start dropping rounds everywhere. When I figured that out, I got more confidence and realized that if I take my time, I'll be on or very near my point of aim each time ).

Pics coming soon...

One other thing - is it normal to be having this funky taste in the back of my throat? I figure this is from the range (indoors) - and it's definately got a taste that's quite strange...I keep clearing my thoat and tasting it...

Another thing - I've noticed that the gun I have tends to put some wear on my tigger finger on the side between it and the middle finger - I think during recoil, it's getting pinched between the trigger and trigger guard...

What did your gun do when it jammed? Did it have a spent shell sticking out the side? You may have not gripped tightly enough when you shot that round. Automatics like yours and Glocks etc that have a lightweight body with a steel slide will do that if you don't grip them hard enough. If the gun can move any at all in your hand when you shoot, it will move there instead of the slide coming back all the way and it won't be able to completely eject the shell.

FWIW, I don't oil mine anywhere near that often, and I don't know anyone that does. I'll shoot 200-300 rounds at a time and not oil it until I get home. Sometimes, I don't even get that done.

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":12750 said:
What did your gun do when it jammed? Did it have a spent shell sticking out the side? You may have not gripped tightly enough when you shot that round. Automatics like yours and Glocks etc that have a lightweight body with a steel slide will do that if you don't grip them hard enough. If the gun can move any at all in your hand when you shoot, it will move there instead of the slide coming back all the way and it won't be able to completely eject the shell.

FWIW, I don't oil mine anywhere near that often, and I don't know anyone that does. I'll shoot 200-300 rounds at a time and not oil it until I get home. Sometimes, I don't even get that done.

Basically the casing was I'd say 90-95% out of the chamber, with the nose of the next round pressing against the rim, wedging it in place, breach open/slide back holding it all together.

I think it was a fluke - the place where I shoot sells "professionally" reloaded rounds for use in their range (otherwise they charge more for their range fee), and I'm sure there's always a dud in there somewhere, and with my luck, it's always me that'll get it. I can get a bone in a filet mignon...lol

Anyhow, I'm not too concerned with it - I fired 99 other rounds without issue, with the majority afterwards, and if it doesn't do it next time I go I won't even think about it anymore.

Back