Pete Thorn Deliverance MKII+ Demo

They’re calling this amp a MKII+? That’s a bit rich, unlike the tone I’m hearing here. The entire low to low mid structure sounds Orange-fuzzish, swampy and messy. Mids sound very bland/lacking character and the highs scratchy. It just sounds offensive in a non aggressive manner. I’d even take a JT modded Recto over this

They’re calling this amp a MKII+? That’s a bit rich, unlike the tone I’m hearing here. The entire low to low mid structure sounds Orange-fuzzish, swampy and messy. Mids sound very bland/lacking character and the highs scratchy. It just sounds offensive in a non aggressive manner. I’d even take a JT modded Recto over this
Did you take the cotton out of your ears before listening?

Did you take the cotton out of your ears before listening?
No it was still there, my bad. You see, I was listening to Blizzard of Oz, enjoying the brilliant playing while trying not to be distracted by the horrid tone. The cotton somewhat neutralized that a.m. radio honk fest but I could still make out the notes and feeling of the playing. :p

It’s dry af but it’s huge sounding and tight if need be . Huge sound in person . I don’t own one but just saying
Yep, every VHT/Fryette I've owned or played have that huge punchy thing in common. Tight as well, not woofy. Definitely have their own thing. At one point I was really into them however the second time around of coming back to one, (a few years ago) I just didn't have the chops anymore to really make it work.

Yep, every VHT/Fryette I've owned or played have that huge punchy thing in common. Tight as well, not woofy. Definitely have their own thing. At one point I was really into them however the second time around of coming back to one, (a few years ago) I just didn't have the chops anymore to really make it work.
Definitely unforgiving

I had the 60 twice and the 120 twice. 120 for the win by a mile.
Not for me.

D60s are like a modded Marshall, the way I dialed them. The 120s are modern, smoother and will shake your bowels with the low end....but I preferred the more aggressive D60. Had both at the same time (when you could find them for <800$).
Both are great amps. Just depends on what you like...modern or vintage/modded.

It’s dry af but it’s huge sounding and tight if need be . Huge sound in person . I don’t own one but just saying
Yep....only 50-60w amps that sound/feel like a 100 are the D60, a 50w Wizard and a 50w NMV Marshall. That I've owned anyway.
HUGE sounding amps.

Well it must not record well then, I definitely wouldn’t call what I’m hearing girthy or huge, sounds really one dimensional and kind of “barky” and just not too pleasing to my ears.
I would agree with most of that. With the Deliverance and most other Fryette’s I’ve tried I didn’t love the tone itself for those reasons (lack of growl, hollow/smooth mids, somewhat brittle above that, not much richness, a little sterile), but they can be impressive because they sound very open, punchy, big and clear in person, but wizards do that even better IME

Last edited:
Yep....only 50-60w amps that sound/feel like a 100 are the D60, a 50w Wizard and a 50w NMV Marshall. That I've owned anyway.
HUGE sounding amps.
Also Alessandro’s (55w) and Schroeder DB (rated at 40 watts) are up there for a power, but probably wouldn’t be ideally suited to what most guys here play. I’d think a 50w Hiwatt (haven’t tried one) could possibly be the biggest sounding of all for 50w or maybe an MI Audio Megalith Gamma (haven’t tried one either)

It's always hard to tell anything about the tone of the actual AMP with PT demos because they always sound like the "stock" music you get from a library for video editors.

The old deliverances sound great IMO

This one sounds similar (i guess? i can't really tell) with some ease of use/practicality features, which is always a good thing. I can't really tell from PTs demo - just like all his demos it sounds flat and uninspiring and overproduced.

During a couple of the rhythm sections during his demo track you get some "kerrang", like when he's actually playing it hard.

I reserve judgement until we get a better demo, but Stevie has earned the benefit of the doubt as far as good, solid sounding amps.

If only his customer service was as dependable :ROFLMAO:

Also Alessandro’s (55w) and Schroeder DB (rated at 40 watts) are up there for a power, but probably wouldn’t be ideally suited to what most guys here play. I’d think a 50w Hiwatt (haven’t tried one) could possibly be the biggest sounding of all for 50w or maybe an MI Audio Megalith Gamma (haven’t tried one either)

"Biggest" sounding amps ive ever heard are all HiWatts - dr103 and 504s

That's mostly because of the iron and headroom i'm guessing, though

When those things are opened up, the dynamic range is out of this world good

I would agree with most of that. With the Deliverance and most other Fryette’s I’ve tried I didn’t love the tone itself for those reasons (lack of growl, hollow/smooth mids, somewhat brittle above that, not much richness, a little sterile), but they can be impressive because they sound very open, punchy, big and clear in person, but wizards do that even better IME
Good description. This especially with 50/100 CL series. Little less with the Ultra lead but close. If you play the VHT/Fryette first you think, Ok, this sounds nice and tight but you find yourself looking for that growl and bite with the EQ and it just never gets there. Then you plug into a Marshall and go, Oh, that’s what I needed.

Good description. This especially with 50/100 CL series. Little less with the Ultra lead but close. If you play the VHT/Fryette first you think, Ok, this sounds nice and tight but you find yourself looking for that growl and bite with the EQ and it just never gets there. Then you plug into a Marshall and go, Oh, that’s what I needed.
That’s what the bright switch is for though.
This is probably blasphemous to most of Rig-Talk, but I prefer Fryettes to Wizards. Less brash, much better tone stack and EQ profile, sound just as big. In my opinion.

I never found that to be the case with my UL. Loved that amp. Never used the eq on it. Just channel two cranked up. Went from a killer 69 Plexi 100 watt ( still have) to the UL. UL was my main amp for around ten years and 100’s of gigs. Big sounding amp for a trio.
Hoping the new one comes out and is somewhat affordable. Although maybe the D120/60 might get me what I had with Ch 2 on the UL. Hmm…

"Biggest" sounding amps ive ever heard are all HiWatts - dr103 and 504s

That's mostly because of the iron and headroom i'm guessing, though

When those things are opened up, the dynamic range is out of this world good
I’d think so too. The DR103 I had also was one of the biggest, most open amps I’ve had, although my Schroeder DB was to me even more open when compared (definitely not as big though), Blueface about equally big (more compressed of course)

The biggest sounding amp I’ve tried so far has been my megalith beta (plate voltage in the 600’s according to the maker, don’t know how to measure myself) and OG Uber in 2nd place for bigness (PV I believe in the 500’s)

Exactly. My 2150 poweramp is still a keeper, but I’d bet if Wizard made a poweramp it could possibly be even better

That’s what the bright switch is for though.

This is probably blasphemous to most of Rig-Talk, but I prefer Fryettes to Wizards. Less brash, much better tone stack and EQ profile, sound just as big. In my opinion.
Nothing wrong with that. I like the brash quality of wizards and vintage Marshall’s. I don’t like a more polite or smooth sound. I think it did iirc sound about as big as the MC I had and maybe could’ve been similarly to the MTL (didn’t have them at the same time), but the Hell Razor KT150 imo sounds bigger than all of the above. I just didn’t find the tone ultimately that interesting/inspiring for me and the bright switch didn’t give me the bite or growl I was looking for. It made it brighter, but it stayed about as smooth from what I remember. My 2150 is still a keeper, but it makes me wonder if Wizard made a poweramp how it would compare

I never found that to be the case with my UL. Loved that amp. Never used the eq on it. Just channel two cranked up. Went from a killer 69 Plexi 100 watt ( still have) to the UL. UL was my main amp for around ten years and 100’s of gigs. Big sounding amp for a trio.
Hoping the new one comes out and is somewhat affordable. Although maybe the D120/60 might get me what I had with Ch 2 on the UL. Hmm…
I do think the UL is better than the CL’s in that department but the one I had back in the 90’s just got shit on by a Marshall in the context of a band mix which was everything to me back then.

Back