Pete's Pedalboard, revamped for 2014 by Dave Friedman

petethorn

Made a bunch of changes to my board, Dave knocked it outta the park of course. I asked him to leave some slack in cables, because sometimes I switch stuff up- so that's MY fault, not his (usually he ties em TIGHT to keep it uber neat). I love this board! it's quiet and does ANYTHING I throw at it.

New stuff: Mobius, 2 H9's, Secret-1 Overdrive, Starlight Fuzz, Boss MO-2, Suhr Koji, Mission Volume and Expression, Vertex Axis NOS Wah... think that's it! Here's Part 1 of a demo:

great job-love the "add one at a time" philosophy demoing effects to hear what each device is doing to build a tone.

also watched your dumbloid demo--did you get to keep one? i was hoping you'd get to try your 335 with it into a fender amp. ford's dumble tone was never the same once he changed away from his signature fender semi hollow, and we all know what "mr 335"'s dumble tone depends on.

Reiep":2op6n060 said:
Damn it sounds good... Is everything in front of the amps ?

Thanks! No, the gain pedals, MXR Phase 90, comp, wah, volume, those are in front. the Mobius is both in front and in the amp loop. You can do that with it, and pick (per preset) where you want it to be, although you lose stereo when you do that. The H9's and delay are in the loop too. I go stereo out of the last H9 and return to both PT100 fx returns, for stereo.

Yeah, +1 on showing how you layered the effects one by one! Always love your vids, Pete. Inspirational!

What makes the Mission Control volume exceptional vs the Dunlop you previously had on there?

Enjolras56":2abygg0g said:
Yeah, +1 on showing how you layered the effects one by one! Always love your vids, Pete. Inspirational!

What makes the Mission Control volume exceptional vs the Dunlop you previously had on there?

Thanks! The Mission Volume is pretty interesting- it's buffered, so that's cool (no tone suck, even when driving a tuner). You can also use it before a fuzz to COUNTER a buffered circuit, and make the fuzz think it's seeing the (high impedance) guitar pickups- it has this switch in it to engage that feature. While still retaining the benefit of the buffer.

that was killer Pete, loved the tones and the tune. With those fingers and board/gear setup, you must be able to cover crazy ground. Now I want everything on that board though, lol. You are hard on the wallet sir. :yes:

Great tune. Does the Mobius replace other individual modulation pedals for good for you or is it here for a space saver? I sold off a bunch and went Mobius since it's more than good enough for anything I'd ever need.

danyeo":71rfm14l said:
Great tune. Does the Mobius replace other individual modulation pedals for good for you or is it here for a space saver? I sold off a bunch and went Mobius since it's more than good enough for anything I'd ever need.

Well i sort of feel the same- it sounds so good that it's "good enough". And I mean that as a real compliment. For example, for the 1st time with any pedal other than the real thing, I was able to almost nail my EVH flanger sound (the sound you get with the EVH button pushed). Almost! Not exact. But so close that I was like, "absolutely close enough". I've never felt that way before, trying to get that sound out of anything else. Even the Univibe is great in the Mobius.

Can you guys please explain to me how I would have to connect the Mobius in my amp's fx loop if I want to use the pre/post function?

Right now in my fx loop, I have a Tone Freak Buff Puff, a TC Nova Mod and a Vox Delay Lab. I was thinking of replacing the TC with a Mobius.

How would I connect the Mobius in that chain to utilise the pre/post function?

NaturalBornBoy":2pziz6iz said:
Can you guys please explain to me how I would have to connect the Mobius in my amp's fx loop if I want to use the pre/post function?

Right now in my fx loop, I have a Tone Freak Buff Puff, a TC Nova Mod and a Vox Delay Lab. I was thinking of replacing the TC with a Mobius.

How would I connect the Mobius in that chain to utilise the pre/post function?

Dave Friedman wired mine up, so I'm only 90% sure about this- but I'm pretty sure- you use the left in and out on the Mobius for the "pre" path (in front of your amp). And the right in and out for the "post" (in your amp's loop). I'm sure there's details on the Strymon site. Then, in every preset, you select "pre" or "post".

One thing though- you need iso transformers on the post path. On the in and the out. Or you'll get some ground loop situation happening. Get this, it'll work:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... eliminator

So you go from your amp fx send to the hum eliminator ch1 in, ch1 out to strymon right in. Strymon right out to Hum Eliminator Ch2 in, Ch2 out to amp fx return.

Easy breezy.

Erock":qsnbmtxu said:
that was killer Pete, loved the tones and the tune. With those fingers and board/gear setup, you must be able to cover crazy ground. Now I want everything on that board though, lol. You are hard on the wallet sir. :yes:

Thanks, and sorry! :)

Back