Phoenix Prototype (JOSE)

EddyLenz

Hey Guys,

Many of you probably know of my Jose obsession by now... This is where it led me!

P1040119-2.jpg

P1040125.JPG

This is my take on the famous Jose Arredondo circuit, being as true to the original circuits as possible with some additions of my own.
I completely rebuilt the 1982 JCM800 2204 with a hand-wired turret board all new tube sockets, and this new faceplate.
I also added a tube fx loop in addition to the Jose insert loop which Joe Holmes uses for the pcm41 gain boost trick.

"Flame" is controlling what in a real Jose would be the added gain stage, with the "pull boost" activating a parallel input stage that Jose implemented on some amps.

"Cinder" is the control after the 2nd gain stage that features a big bright cap, which is why it acts like a fatness control.

"Pull clip" adds a clipping circuit like it can be seen in the Jose amps with a stereo push-pull master volume with zener diodes.

Because these circuits can be quite aggressive with lots of sizzle, I decided to add a smooth switch, which takes out some top end late in the preamp to get a noticeably smoother sound.

"Pull voice" changes the voicing of the last gain stage to be more aggressive with slightly more gain.

"Pull attack" changes the NFB for a more aggressive overall tone.

The "+-" switch on the back changes the voicing of the 1st gain stage with "+" having more gain and top end.

Back