Planning a new head shell for an incoming Boogie Mk.III

eternal_idol

So i've got a NAD coming SoonTM, Boogie Mk III Green stripe combo :rock:

Its got a Standard deal black tolex, So I've decided to take it upon myself to build two head shells and maybe two Thiele-clone enclosures.

Why two head shells? I can't decide what I want more, a Small head reminiscent of boogies hardwood head shells, or something custom that won't look tiny on my main 4x12 cab. So i picked BOTH :LOL: :LOL:

now i'm starting to look at the Import/domestic hardwood available in the general vicinity, I've got two places in driving distance I can check out.

So far i've been leaning towards Black limba for the small "traditional" style shell with a Dyed black wicker front :D

I've attached Two images of Black Limba (Black Korina) that i'm more partial too.

Can any of you guys think of a decent looking hardwood that isn't stepping all over what boogie does on a regular basis? (staying away from, bubinga, flamed maple, and whatever else they use)

Attachments

• black-limba.jpg
    black-limba.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 771
  • ss_black.jpg
    ss_black.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 770
Zebrawood?

I also just got a mark3 head and will be looking to get a nice wood headshell done for it. Super interested in what you are doing.

That black limba would look great.

Here is a pic of my Mark III. I had a guy make the zebrawood shell. It should look even better once I make a wicker front panel for it.

IMG_0740_zpswjn5bpmy.jpg

Thanks for the Interest Guys!

Zebrawood Eh? hmm it does look rather nice. Although concern about my shop rustiness. if memory serves me correct Zebrawood is a bit of a pain to get planed down to size, atleast a pain without blow outs.

But its not on Cites so its an option :D

Bloodwood is also an idea right now. but likely for the larger of the two heads.

now I get an idea a salt and pepper basket weave might look better than stained/dyed wicker with Black Limba.

What am i getting myself into!

It does look nice, But since Boogie did it, it is not an option.

and damn it i didn't realize that boogie did that trim on a cabinet.. :(

I want the only aspects that i'm "borrowing" from boogie are that its their amp going in, so there will be a shape resemblance, and i bloody love the wicker but I want to do it differently than Boogie normally does it. And the fact I'm aiming for a Hardwood finish. Not unique to them but they are ironically known for it.

I want the end product to be as classy as one out of the boogie shop, just with marked enough differences to visually know its a One-off custom made to the standards boogie would have made it. Just by a Canadian. With a different take on certain things.

I just hope i can still pull of the dove tails.. :scared:

Crunchtime":763077id said:
That black limba would look great.

Here is a pic of my Mark III. I had a guy make the zebrawood shell. It should look even better once I make a wicker front panel for it.

IMG_0740_zpswjn5bpmy.jpg

-that looks bad ass!!!.... I think you should go for a different wood for the front panel and stain it black, wicker just don't bring the brootalz!!

Docster":qlabajge said:
I like the Limba.

I also think this Mark5 in Walnut is a great looking combo...

c0b5d17c2d249eb741e20569cff5e1b1.jpg

I'd be too scared to take that out of the house.
A chip out of that would stand out like dog's balls.

sg guy":1haypweh said:
-that looks bad ass!!!.... I think you should go for a different wood for the front panel and stain it black, wicker just don't bring the brootalz!!

Yeah,me too. I dig the all wood thing. Or even a black piece of diamond plate. Elegant brutally.

How about doing the wicker vertically instead of diagonal?

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Family friend took possession of this on my Behalf this morning. It likely be a few weeks before I actually get it in my hands. the wait is killing me!

Attachments

• Mesa-front.jpg
    Mesa-front.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 654
  • Mesa-back.jpg
    Mesa-back.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 651
  • Mesa_stripe cu.jpg
    Mesa_stripe cu.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 617
Back