Played a PRS SC245/5708 and a Les Paul R8 side by side today

Deaj

...and for whatever inspiration may have been drawn from in designing the SC245 these two guitars are more different than similar. Many years ago I went through a few Les Paul's, ultimately walking away without finding much inspiration in them. To be fair these guitars were late 70's through early 80's Gibson's - not exactly their best work.

The R8, however, was a remarkable instrument - inspirational to play! I found it to be fairly bright, not overly so, and punchy.It was a raw, powerful sounding guitar. This guitar made it suddenly very easy to understand why it is that folks dig Les Paul's so much. These guitars have a sound all their own and it's a great sound!

The SC245 is a softer spoken instrument by comparison. It has a warmer tone with a broad midrange and sweet highs. This guitar had more of a vocal quality to it. Attack characteristics are more refined and allow for subtle, expressive dynamics. It's now clear to me why someone who picks a SC245 up expecting to hear a Les Paul might be disappointed. Judged on its own merits this is a beautiful sounding and expressive instrument!

By sheer luck I happened to be in a Guitar Center during lunch and the place was relatively quiet. There was a guy demo'ing a bass and another guy demo'ing a guitar. We were all out in the main showroom area. Somehow we all fell into a blues jam together for about 20 minutes and so I had the opportunity to play both guitars in context as well as alone and with none of the usual GC noise to filter out. It was cool!!

:thumbsup: The SC245 is on my want list. I have a few LPs and a PRS cu24 and luv em each for what they are and how they play. :yes:

I did a similar test a while back when the 245 first came out. It was a gorgeous guitar. I'd take a Les Paul over it any day of the week though... LOL :D

jlbaxe":2cssxfb3 said:
:thumbsup: The SC245 is on my want list. I have a few LPs and a PRS cu24 and luv em each for what they are and how they play. :yes:

Likewise, a Les Paul just made the top of my want list. :rock:

Back