PRS ordering question

gtr31

Hey guys

I am thinking of ordering a custom 24
I’ll be honest some of the combinations like gold hardware in the artist package don’t appeal to me BUT
Some do

Can I substitute things at all
Do they have options that are individually priced

Say I want a fire red smoke burst but ebony boardinstead if rosewood
Or black headstock silver logo instead on some exotic wood

Can it be done by a dealer

It changes from year to year. If you're ordering you can usually choose some options, like available hardware colors on the AP. To be sure what is available talk to the dealer you would order from. Some stuff I believe is standard like the headstock veneer matching the board on the AP, but again you need to talk to a dealer to find out for sure.

I ordered a McCarty last year and couldn’t change anything without moving up. I thought it would be reasonable to ask for a different set of pickups since it was ordered, but I couldn’t even do that.

It’s a great guitar, it just would’ve seemed reasonable to be able pick which PRS pickups you want.

PRS makes great guitars, but for what it's going to cost you...maybe consider getting what you REALLY want from another builder?

sutepaj":zzpvvt7i said:
PRS makes great guitars, but for what it's going to cost you...maybe consider getting what you REALLY want from another builder?

Yeah they are tough with options
My dealer basically told me to change the birds to just having the outline would be only private stock
And a 7000 price tag it’s funny I don’t think the upgrade bird Inlays are that important to me anymore

What other brands do you suggest ???

Phil M":2a50favo said:
I ordered a McCarty last year and couldn’t change anything without moving up. I thought it would be reasonable to ask for a different set of pickups since it was ordered, but I couldn’t even do that.

It’s a great guitar, it just would’ve seemed reasonable to be able pick which PRS pickups you want.

Lol you can’t even change the pickup ring from white to black
Dealer said they won’t ship like that we can change em for ya for 30 once we get the guitar

I own a '03 artist custom 22, bought one second handed.
Never ever would I get one as a new custom order, the 'custom' part of the whole thing is literally cosmetic. The price just does not justify it.

I do understand the regular custom series and i do understand private stock - but artist specs is just a preferred color scheme. Nothing else. Even the top isn't a better looking one than some regular tops or mediocre 10 tops. Honestly I sometimes have doubts about this whole 10 top marketing cause I've literally seen tops that were hideous and were priced as 10 top.

You'd be far better off with a regular custom that cost 1/3 less and that you tested and like the sound of.

K-Roll":2b7av3i9 said:
Even the top isn't a better looking one than some regular tops or mediocre 10 tops. Honestly I sometimes have doubts about this whole 10 top marketing cause I've literally seen tops that were hideous and were priced as 10 top.

It's a pretty weird subjective rating system. There shouldn't be any discrepancy between the quality of top from one guitar to the next in this price point imo. I wonder at what point in the build the top is judged to be '10' and whether this happens spontaneously, or whether they try to meet a certain quota of '10' per batch and just subjectively pick out the tops they think are a bit prettier than the others by comparison.

Back