PRS SE Users - questions (replacement parts and love fest)

Neeklaus

Some of you might have seen my NGD thread, but I recently got a SE Custom 22 Stoptail.

I can't believe how much I am digging this guitar!!!!
It's like my Ibanez and my Gibson had a baby!

There's a few mods I want to make -
swap out the tuners
new bridge pickup
new nut - probably bone
MAYBE a new bridge

can anyone make any suggestions? for these parts? what has worked good for you?
What about these replacement wraparound/stoptail bridges that have adjustable saddles? worth a shake?

I was curious, I can't seem to find any info online about this. I know the Maple top is veneer, but is there a maple cap at all? or is it just Mahogany? The "binding" on the side looks fairly mapley so I was just trying to figure that out.

anyone else got a serious stiffy for PRS SE's right now??

Nick! Glad you like the guitar so much...

The only mods that have been done to mine are an RS Guitarworks wiring kit (no-load custom taper pots, paper/oil tone cap) and a PRS Tremonti bridge pickup and it's absolutely killer. I have heard some good things about the adjustable wraparound bridge, but I havent had any intonation problems with mine. A bone nut may be on the horizon though. I can cut you one for that one as well if you want.

These SE's are killer llittle guitars for the money... I still regret getting rid of that one a little bit. :doh:

Oh well. I really needed the Ghetto Signal Processerator 1101. That thing is just plain awesome.

-Mike

In my PRS SE standard i bought the following

GROVER 406C 3 + 3 - locking tuners - direct drop in replacements

apparantely Gotoh 510s are also direct drop in replacements, either are good i'd say and are pretty cheap

to be fair i'm not sure how much of a tone improvement you'll get with other parts on the PRS SE, they use pretty decent stuff to begin with (minus the tuners ;)

i'd be curious to hear how different it sounds if you change to bone

the PRS SE standard which is just all mahogany (no maple top), seriously loves the suhr DSV+ pickup i put into it, pretty much a perfect match for that guitar,

For your custom something PAF like would probably be killer around the 8-10k rating, low/medium output, depending on what you play, but it'd be the most versatile with pickups like that imo

if the intonation is fine i don't think you'd get much other benefit of having bridge with separate saddles

you can look into the higher end PRS catalogue for replacement parts otherwise, they should drop right in without too much hassle, again how much improvement can be expected is anyone's guess

Neeklaus":2pw2b1n9 said:
Some of you might have seen my NGD thread, but I recently got a SE Custom 22 Stoptail.

I can't believe how much I am digging this guitar!!!!
It's like my Ibanez and my Gibson had a baby!

There's a few mods I want to make -
swap out the tuners
new bridge pickup
new nut - probably bone
MAYBE a new bridge

can anyone make any suggestions? for these parts? what has worked good for you?
What about these replacement wraparound/stoptail bridges that have adjustable saddles? worth a shake?

I was curious, I can't seem to find any info online about this. I know the Maple top is veneer, but is there a maple cap at all? or is it just Mahogany? The "binding" on the side looks fairly mapley so I was just trying to figure that out.

anyone else got a serious stiffy for PRS SE's right now??

dangles":1q8rs6xt said:
Nick! Glad you like the guitar so much...

The only mods that have been done to mine are an RS Guitarworks wiring kit (no-load custom taper pots, paper/oil tone cap) and a PRS Tremonti bridge pickup and it's absolutely killer. I have heard some good things about the adjustable wraparound bridge, but I havent had any intonation problems with mine. A bone nut may be on the horizon though. I can cut you one for that one as well if you want.

These SE's are killer llittle guitars for the money... I still regret getting rid of that one a little bit. :doh:

Oh well. I really needed the Ghetto Signal Processerator 1101. That thing is just plain awesome.

-Mike

dangles":1q8rs6xt said:
And I'm pretty sure its a maple top with a flamed veneer over.

:thumbsup:

cool man, thanks for the info. I will definitely hit you up when I get a bone nut. I was a little antsy as I've never cut one before.

yeah the tuners really aren't bad at all. I'm just lazy and prefer locking tuners lol

the nut on this particular guitars needs a good once over, but as mentioned I plan on buying a bone nut soon so I'm not gonna stress over it.

I'd love to have an Anniversary model in that cool blue, but I think the price is a little high for an SE.

some pics of the top....we're moving soon but after the move I plan on doing some good pics in the sunlight with my gf's digital camera :D

Attachments

• IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,487
  • IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,419
and here's a pic of my 3 guitars together.....and where my dog photobombed the first attempt :)

Attachments

• 266589_1440394547691_1767898114_681949_2526081_o.jpg
    266589_1440394547691_1767898114_681949_2526081_o.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 2,421
  • 272877_1440488910050_1767898114_682108_1876332_o.jpg
    272877_1440488910050_1767898114_682108_1876332_o.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,417
When I had my soapbar se I put in the schaller m6 mini tuners and they worked flawlessly and without mods. Other than that it was great out of the box. I agree these are amazing guitars for the price.

Back