PT100 -v- Splawn Quickrod

Keep in mind that i have never played a pt-100, but, i owned an OD-100 a while ago and the clean tone on the suhr stuff is totally awesome but i couldnt get along with the dirt channel at all, im not sure what is different on the pt-100 but from the clips i have heard it seems a bit more vintage than the OD, but i still dont like what i have heard from the clips, but i would have to try one out in person to be sure...

The splawn, cleans are really nothing to write home about, but they can get the job done with some effects on the channel, a little chorus and delay will make the channel more tolerable, the distortion out of the splawn is the most ballsy guitar sound that i have ever heard, very clear, very punchy and defined. I would have to say its probably one of my top five favorite amps but only for the lead channels. The only complaint i have for the splawn is the master volume sucks total azz, i was playing mine between 1 and 2 before i sold it about a week ago and it was shaking the walls of the house and that is not an exageration, about the worst volume taper i have ever heard...

Just another opinion, but i would try both before you buy, obviously... Good luck...

Two fairly different amps. The Suhr has the better clean channel because it covers so much ground.If you happened to have a PT100 with all EL34's you'd still notice the clean on the Suhr to be rounder and fuller. The Splawn is cool but is less versatile as you need to start kicking in the extra gears to get some grit.

For mid gain stuff, the amps are more even but the Suhr is still a fuller sounding amp, a little easier to play to as it has a more spongy feel. The Splawn does well here though with the extra gears (gain stages) and I think is a close second

For high gain stuff, both do well. The Suhr is still spongier and can get a very greasy lead tone. The Splawn is more immediate, less forgiving on lead tones.

But for chunk , I prefer the Splawn, it has a cleaner bass response for me and all the frequencies in the lower mid range that need to be cut are already cut for you. The Suhr has a lot more low mid frequencies that get through and this can make it have more of a boom characteristic to the bass than a chunk characteristic.

SO for high gain, I think the feel of both amps differs even more than the Eq or tone. The Splawn will make you work for it and the Suhr will forgive you a lot more. But tonally, the Splawn will sound a lot like a fine tuned Marshall and it delivers the bass response that I want in an amp. I actually have a Splawn Nitro but like the quick rod as well. The Suhr is like having a Fender, Marshall and a little bit of Mesa Recto all in one head.

Paul Secondino":3qvc84ol said:
Two fairly different amps. The Suhr has the better clean channel because it covers so much ground.If you happened to have a PT100 with all EL34's you'd still notice the clean on the Suhr to be rounder and fuller. The Splawn is cool but is less versatile as you need to start kicking in the extra gears to get some grit.

For mid gain stuff, the amps are more even but the Suhr is still a fuller sounding amp, a little easier to play to as it has a more spongy feel. The Splawn does well here though with the extra gears (gain stages) and I think is a close second

For high gain stuff, both do well. The Suhr is still spongier and can get a very greasy lead tone. The Splawn is more immediate, less forgiving on lead tones.

But for chunk , I prefer the Splawn, it has a cleaner bass response for me and all the frequencies in the lower mid range that need to be cut are already cut for you. The Suhr has a lot more low mid frequencies that get through and this can make it have more of a boom characteristic to the bass than a chunk characteristic.

SO for high gain, I think the feel of both amps differs even more than the Eq or tone. The Splawn will make you work for it and the Suhr will forgive you a lot more. But tonally, the Splawn will sound a lot like a fine tuned Marshall and it delivers the bass response that I want in an amp. I actually have a Splawn Nitro but like the quick rod as well. The Suhr is like having a Fender, Marshall and a little bit of Mesa Recto all in one head.

Thanks Very much! Very informative and helpful!

Back