Quad Cortex in 2024?

I run a QC but currently using it for amps only. It needs more midi in commands to properly switch fx on and off rather than toggle them. Without that functionality implemented, it’s difficult to use it how I want.

I run a QC but currently using it for amps only. It needs more midi in commands to properly switch fx on and off rather than toggle them. Without that functionality implemented, it’s difficult to use it how I want.

Rather interesting this hasn’t been implemented yet…

I love mine. I don't gig at this point, so I don't have the complexities integrating into a set up for that purpose. It's awesome on its own but in stereo with my XTC and its epic.

I have an XTC101B as well. Have You tried capturing it? 😊

I had one with a KSR PA50 early last year and I loved it. Got rid of it for some reason but at the time the only issues I had were some of the effects quality and a few amp models I wanted were not yet available. I prefer models to profiles for some reason. Using an FM3 now but I'm always thinking it would be nice to grab another QC

I use a Quad Cortex on a board with a Lehle Expression, DC7 and a Powerstage 170 (swapped out from a PS200). The Quad Cortex has been the nicest out of all the amp sims/profilers. I've had the Kemper, AxeFX II+ and III, Helix, HX, Pod, etc.. The tone from captured amps seems to be about 98-99% the same as the amp. You get to a stage in the capture process where you can A/B the real amp and the capture. If you cover the screen, it's really hard to tell which is which... Boost pedals seem to be 100% accurate.

That being said... There are a ton of shitty captures out there. Or rather, shitty for me and maybe you. Ever jam with someone and they just can't dial their amp in to save their life? Or someone's amp sounds great when they play it and like hot garbage when you plug in? I much prefer to dial my tone in on an amp in person and capture a tone that works for me. I've captured my DRG, SG, HG IIC+'s, 5150 Block Letter, Vox AC15HW, a tone of boost pedals and I've since sold all of them. When you do find good captures, it's pretty sick to play through rare stuff.

Quad Rig.jpg

I use a Quad Cortex on a board with a Lehle Expression, DC7 and a Powerstage 170 (swapped out from a PS200). The Quad Cortex has been the nicest out of all the amp sims/profilers. I've had the Kemper, AxeFX II+ and III, Helix, HX, Pod, etc.. The tone from captured amps seems to be about 98-99% the same as the amp. You get to a stage in the capture process where you can A/B the real amp and the capture. If you cover the screen, it's really hard to tell which is which... Boost pedals seem to be 100% accurate.

That being said... There are a ton of shitty captures out there. Or rather, shitty for me and maybe you. Ever jam with someone and they just can't dial their amp in to save their life? Or someone's amp sounds great when they play it and like hot garbage when you plug in? I much prefer to dial my tone in on an amp in person and capture a tone that works for me. I've captured my DRG, SG, HG IIC+'s, 5150 Block Letter, Vox AC15HW, a tone of boost pedals and I've since sold all of them. When you do find good captures, it's pretty sick to play through rare stuff.

View attachment 310479

Sounds like a great unit! 😎

Yes to both. Have a Maiden tribute and AC/DC as well. I use it a lot but generally in the Return of whatever backline amp they give me.

I use my own captures as well.

www.wickedtones.bigcartel.com
Man, I don't know how you juggle both. I'm in one band and is enough, lol. Do you know the Lost Vagrants band out there? The singer has been one of my beat friends since we were little kids.

Back