Questions on mahogany for neck thru 8 string

JKingV2

Hey all.. just plunged on a purchase of a Carvin 8 string. Not sure when the guitar was made as it came with no paperwork or build sheet, but it does feel great and plays like a dream. I did find it odd to choose a one piece mahogany neck to do a neck thru guitar for an 8 string. Usually I see 8 strings with multi-ply necks usually with quartersawn maple being the main wood and strips of other woods like maple or whatever, but yea, this one is one solid piece of mahogany.. what’s even weirder is the way it looks.. it has some serious flame in the grain and almost looks like it’s a quartersawn piece but it’s not entirely straight grain, it sorta runs at a slight angle. I dunno, either way, it feels really solid. Guess my question, by looking at the pics, would any of you say it’s a quartersawn piece or atleast close to it? No buyers remorse here, I think this thing looks amazing and plays like a beast, I’m just hoping I’m not gonna have any neck warping or movement issues down the road. I know these Carvins (and now Kiesel) are one-off built to order guitars so it’s not like I can call with a serial number or anything. Thanks for any info or advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1167.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
Gonna guess without seeing the truss or headstock that it's a mid 2010s DC800 based on the tuners, pickups, and bridge.
If it is, I wouldn't worry as the trusses are beefed up by this point and should help keep the neck stable over it's life.

I also noticed by looking at the bottom of the body and the top of the headstock, this is a quartersawn mahogany piece, just with a weird grain pattern, but they are for the most part perpendicular to the sides.

Yes their one-piece necks were quatersawn on everything except for 1pc maple back then. Now they use quatersawn with maple too.

Back