Quick Rod with 6L6

ChadVanHalen

So at rehearsals the other day I was using my bass player's Mesa Dual Caliber instead of my Splawn and afterwards he mentioned how that's the best I've ever sounded... For that material. Since I've joined they've kind of modernized their sound with a few more drop C# songs and by the sounds of it he likes the sound of a Mesa for these songs than my Splawn.

So after a little research into the DC-10, like I figured, it had 6L6 over the EL34 which got me thinking. I love Splawn as a company and want to support the 6 of them and all that but it sounds like my boss wants me to get a more Mesa sound over a Marshall. Would throwing some 6L6s in there give it more of that feel or would I be better off sticking with his Mesa and eventually investing in something like a Dual Rec or 5150 later down while maybe running it stereo with the Splawn?

I'm obviously more of an 80's super strat with a hot rod Marshall sort of guy but it seems every new song they cook up they're moving away from that

6L6s aren't going to give you that tone...not in a Splawn. Most tone shaping goes on in the preamp, if you want a Mesa type sound, get one. My .02...

That would suck to have others want you to change your tone. But I understand if they're going for a different sound. What speakers are you using? Tubes?

crwnedblasphemy":3i15zxed said:
That would suck to have others want you to change your tone. But I understand if they're going for a different sound. What speakers are you using? Tubes?
I've just got a stock Marshall 1960A... They're Mullard EL34 and a whole mix of 12AX7

Ya sounds like he wants that heavier saturated low mids sound... I have been meaning to get a Dual Rec or get my 5150 back but figured might as well see if there's something I can do to what I already have

Would a QR sound good stereo with something like a Mesa/Peavey?

angled cabs make the QR seem brighter than it is. Plate voltage on QR, depending on year, might not handle 6L6. I was thinking you could try a different straight cab, but you can score a single rec or 5150 for pretty cheap. Or, maybe pick up the Bogner Uber Pedal...Wampler triple Rec, or AMT pedal and use it through the QR?

I hate when others in a band try to change my sound. I've always liked upper mids emphasized, so that's gonna be the cornerstone of my sound. If you have to go with his opinion because he hired you, that sucks. Its your tone..play whatever you like. Luckily for me I've had no complaints from band mates or sound guys in the last 10 years at least..

Get a Nitro? Keeps the Splawn feel in tact but might be modern enough for your needs. You could also say "no" to the tone change request...

Racerxrated":1bhgzyv5 said:
I hate when others in a band try to change my sound. I've always liked upper mids emphasized, so that's gonna be the cornerstone of my sound. If you have to go with his opinion because he hired you, that sucks. Its your tone..play whatever you like. Luckily for me I've had no complaints from band mates or sound guys in the last 10 years at least..

Exactly. I wouldn't be changing amps unless I wanted to (unless there was SERIOUS money involved and I was just a hired gun).

messenger":3dw6g818 said:
Racerxrated":3dw6g818 said:

Exactly. I wouldn't be changing amps unless I wanted to (unless there was SERIOUS money involved and I was just a hired gun).
Yeah, the more I think about it, it was probably just a reaction to your sound being "different" at this rehearsal. Not necessarily better. It's like the first time you try anything new that you end up liking. You swear it's the best ever.

Or the fact I was using his amp and wants it up there and it was all over their last album...

We talked about it a little more and we're going to use both with a Radial Headbone, the Splawn for more of the older 80's-ish sounding stuff and switch over to his Mesa for the heavier stuff

So I've been looking into Nitros, I know they're the "modern" take on the QR but how close to that heavier Mesa/5150/Randall tone do you get compared to the hot rod Marshall stuff

ChadVanHalen":3blt4kt7 said:
Or the fact I was using his amp and wants it up there and it was all over their last album...

We talked about it a little more and we're going to use both with a Radial Headbone, the Splawn for more of the older 80's-ish sounding stuff and switch over to his Mesa for the heavier stuff

So I've been looking into Nitros, I know they're the "modern" take on the QR but how close to that heavier Mesa/5150/Randall tone do you get compared to the hot rod Marshall stuff
I was going to suggest using both in a dual amp setup, or using one at a time for specific tunes. Sounds like you're on the right path :thumbsup:

The Dual Caliber amps are Mesa's little secret. They sound great, are easy to find used, and can be had for cheap. I bet combining the two would get you a great sound! Using them individually would work too, like you mentioned, but I bet running them both at the same time would be a lot of fun.

Good luck :)

CaseyCor":snohvaik said:
ChadVanHalen":snohvaik said:

I was going to suggest using both in a dual amp setup, or using one at a time for specific tunes. Sounds like you're on the right path :thumbsup:

The Dual Caliber amps are Mesa's little secret. They sound great, are easy to find used, and can be had for cheap. I bet combining the two would get you a great sound! Using them individually would work too, like you mentioned, but I bet running them both at the same time would be a lot of fun.

Good luck :)
Haha ABYing it would be fun... But that's just another cab I have to carry in and convince the sound guys to mic haha

Back