Rack Rig Help (MultiFX & midi foot controller ?'s)

Blackie08

Hey guys,

So I’m thinking of getting a rack multi fx unit, midi switcher and foot controller and ditching my reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser pedals and just keeping a boost pedal or 2. Trying to limit all the long cable tone suck and tired of tap dancing.

I’m trying to spec out exactly what I will need. I would like to be able to control my amps channel switching, switch fx presets and add in the boost pedals. I would like to be able to have a clean, dirty and lead preset that will change amp channels and add in the different reverb/delay and be able to add the chorus/detune/phaser/flanger in when I want to.

My amp is a CAA/Suhr PT100 (no midi) so I will need something like the RJM Rack Gizmo to control the amp and multifx processor functions.

I was thinking of a rig that consists of:

Multi-FX: TC Electronic GMajor2 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMajor2/)
MIDI Switcher: RJM Rack Gizmo (http://www.rjmmusic.com/rackgizmo.php)
MIDI FC: Rocktron MIDI Raider (http://www.rocktron.com/products/contro ... idiraider/)

Total: ~$1800 new

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on the gear or set-up?

Thanks for the help.

The GMajor2 will channel switch the PT100 through the analog switches on the GMaj2 (no need for a midi interface-rack gizmo).

If you are looking to switch on your boost with a midi controller, than yes, you will need something else like the RJM Effects gizmo devices.

Having recently done the same thing I will offer up this. The GMaj2 sounds great for delay and reverb, but will never sound as good as an MXR Phaser/flanger. The chorus is pretty good as well, but as with the other analog effects, just not quite warm enough. With that said, the audience won't give two craps about that. I personally use a Behringer 1010 midi controller with the GMaj2 and can do all of the amp switching and channel changes, with the addition of being able to control overall volume and delay lengths.

If like me, you decide that the analog warmth of stomp boxes is something that you can't pass on, then your budget is pretty sufficient to purchase the RJM stuff and a rack mounted pedal drawer.

Also, to each their own, but new gear drops 20-40% the second you purchase it, so why budget for new stuff? I got a brand new condition Gmaj2 for $275 and the Berhinger in like new condition for $100. So for $375 you can do everything that you want.

I'm fine with buying used gear, just wanted everyone to know my budget.

Are there better multifx than the GMaj2? (Don't wanna drop 2k on the AxeFX)

You really cant go wrong with the RJM stuff. I run a dual amp rig with Gmajor 2 and an RJM Y-Not ABY box. I can change effects on the GMajor and go from amp A to amp B all with a single MIDI program change. Its really nice.

IMHO, a Rack Gizmo may be just a tad overkill. You could probably get by with a mini amp gizmo or switch gizmo to control your amp or even rely on the basic switching on the GMajor 2 to control your amp as previously stated. On the GMajor 2 you can also adjust the output of each preset which could eliminate the need for a boost pedal (depending on how you are using it).

cphr3d":okwi2ge2 said:
You really cant go wrong with the RJM stuff. I run a dual amp rig with Gmajor 2 and an RJM Y-Not ABY box. I can change effects on the GMajor and go from amp A to amp B all with a single MIDI program change. Its really nice.

IMHO, a Rack Gizmo may be just a tad overkill. You could probably get by with a mini amp gizmo or switch gizmo to control your amp or even rely on the basic switching on the GMajor 2 to control your amp as previously stated. On the GMajor 2 you can also adjust the output of each preset which could eliminate the need for a boost pedal (depending on how you are using it).

I would be using the boost (tubescreamer) for a gain boost on the clean channel for blues leads so I think I need something to let me switch the boost in front of the amp on/off like the Rack Gizmo.

I believe the mini amp gizmo or switch gizmo just changes the amp functions.

Blackie08":7odmx0kt said:
I would be using the boost (tubescreamer) for a gain boost on the clean channel for blues leads so I think I need something to let me switch the boost in front of the amp on/off like the Rack Gizmo.

Correct, the amp gizmo and switch gizmo just change amp functions. To switch on and off the boost on your clean channel you'd need the rack gizmo or the mini effect gizmo. However, unless you have a ton of functions to switch on your head, the mini effect gizmo might be the better choice. How many functions do you need to switch on your head? Is it just clean and dirty channels?

Something else you might consider is the TC Electronic G-System. Not sure how they sound, but the G-System could consolidate the 3 pieces of gear noted above into a single unit. It has switch relays for controlling your amp and I think it even has a loop switcher too for your TubeScreamer.

cphr3d":31x9hfmp said:
Blackie08":31x9hfmp said:

Correct, the amp gizmo and switch gizmo just change amp functions. To switch on and off the boost on your clean channel you'd need the rack gizmo or the mini effect gizmo. However, unless you have a ton of functions to switch on your head, the mini effect gizmo might be the better choice. How many functions do you need to switch on your head? Is it just clean and dirty channels?

Something else you might consider is the TC Electronic G-System. Not sure how they sound, but the G-System could consolidate the 3 pieces of gear noted above into a single unit. It has switch relays for controlling your amp and I think it even has a loop switcher too for your TubeScreamer.

All I am switching on the amp is clean/dirty channel and then the footswitchable gain boost on dirty channel.

I have heard about problems with the input section ADDA converters with the G-system, and that you can't change the order of the fx (all fx always in amp fx loop) but that would really be perfect fit for me as its exactly what I need.

Blackie08":389fa6a5 said:
All I am switching on the amp is clean/dirty channel and then the footswitchable gain boost on dirty channel.

I have heard about problems with the input section ADDA converters with the G-system, and that you can't change the order of the fx (all fx always in amp fx loop) but that would really be perfect fit for me as its exactly what I need.

If that's the case, Id stick with the relay switching on the GMajor 2 to control channels on your amp and then pick up an RJM Mini Effect Gizmo to swap in/out the OD pedal. But that's just my $0.02. Id be curious to hear what the rest of the board thinks.

How about a Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 instead of the RJM? About the same price, also does the amp switching in case I don't get a Gmaj2 and get a diff multi-fx, which leads to my next question....

Is there a better rack multi-fx unit than the GMaj2 in that price range <$800 ???

How about the Rocktron Xpression??

I think I am going to go with:

Digitech GSP1101 (for effects only)
RJM Mini Effects Gizmo (so I can switch my boost and phaser pedals out in front of the amp)
Rocktron Midi Raider foot controller (more versatile than the ground control pro)

Blackie08":12z1jncf said:

RJM Mini Effects Gizmo (so I can switch my boost and phaser pedals out in front of the amp)
Rocktron Midi Raider foot controller (more versatile than the ground control pro)

Does the GSP1101 have relay switches to control the channels on your head? If not, you'll need something like the RJM Switch Gizmo to change channels (which is why I like the GMajor2 because it definitely has the relay switches). But if, channel switching is not a requirement, you should be good to go.

cphr3d":1tif35fr said:
Blackie08":1tif35fr said:

Does the GSP1101 have relay switches to control the channels on your head? If not, you'll need something like the RJM Switch Gizmo to change channels (which is why I like the GMajor2 because it definitely has the relay switches). But if, channel switching is not a requirement, you should be good to go.

Yea i checked and the gsp1101 doesnt have the relays, so i am going to use a rocktron patchmate loop 8 or a rjm racl/effect gizmo to switch channels and loops. I like the fx in the gsp1101 better than gmaj2

Blackie08":gdgg7767 said:
cphr3d":gdgg7767 said:
Blackie08":gdgg7767 said:

Yea i checked and the gsp1101 doesnt have the relays, so i am going to use a rocktron patchmate loop 8 or a rjm racl/effect gizmo to switch channels and loops. I like the fx in the gsp1101 better than gmaj2

Awesome.... :rock:

I have a similar setup and the mini effect gizmo works great. Since I don't need all the loops, I was able to use an unused loop in the effect gizmo as a relay switcher...you just need to run a dummy plug in the loop right before it and program that loop to always on so it's your new "out" to the amp. Ron from Rjm gave me the tip...

I run a gmajor 2 in the loop of my Marsha (it's always on for a little delay). The guitar goes direct into a Suhr Koko boost, then to the input of the mini effect gizmo that runs a vibe and phaser (and one spare loop for growth) then out to the amp.

I use the relay in the gmajor to switch the FX link function on the Koko boost (since it's true bypass, I save a loop that way). The final extra loop (now a relay) in the mini effects gizmo switches my amp channel.

It all works great and fits in a four space rack (furman power conditioner, gmajor, rack shelf with pedals and mini effect gizmo). I run phantom power our of the gizmo into a Liquid foot jr floorboard.

The most versatile multi-fx ever made is the Lexicon G2, it can be bought for $400, has an analog gain section, and runs in front of your amp AND through the fx loop, you can route any way you want. It's also the only box that has a true bypass with level control, i.e. there's no gap switching presets, just the effects silence but not the whole sound. Run that in conjunction with a rack gizmo and midi raider and you'll be able to do just anything. I have two rigs set up this way, one with a Soldano preamp, and a larger rig with two heads, I plug the Rocktron controller into whichever rig I'm using.

If you are worried about tone suck you should buy a little line mixer as well, like the Suhr Minimix II. The multi-units you can buy in that pricerange, including the GM-II, are bound to digitally squash your tone to various degrees, except maybe the Rocktron Multivalve and maybe a few others that have internal analog mix. Going parallel can make a big difference in some cases, but the practicality of it depends on how you want to route the FX-blocks in the multi unit.

Back