Racking effects... mulling over some options...

some dude

I currently use an Eventide Timefactor for delay and chorus. I like it, but I'd like to automate the changes via midi so I can sync it up with my amp's channel changes. I figured that since I'm already looking looking at midi that I should check out some other options...

Option 1: Add an Eventide ModFactor and use the pair of them like a regular multi-effect processor.

Option 2: Replace the TimeFactor with a full multi effect... considering a TC G-Major 2, Eclipse, or one of the AxeFX variations.

Thoughts?

i wouldnt change actual units unless you disliked your original tone. that does not make any sense to sell something you use only because rack ears look cooler/have midi adaptors.

if you like the eventide timefactor, get the mod-factor if you see yourself utilizing its features, get a tray and an RG-16 or GCX and a power conditioner - you'll be set for expanding future pedals down the road and if you still decide you want an effects processor seperately it will fully integrate by this point quite easily - and with the RG-16 you'll be able to make a cable or purchase a cable to change your amp channels as well.

Cheapest way I have been able to do that is with a Rivera RM1/ G-labs GSC controller..
Can control 2 midi units with program changes with 4 separate loops for pedals with power jacks, tuner input with mute, and 2 input jacks that can control 2 amp functions each jack..
With 30 user presets..

Rivera was selling them on their site for $299

The site is down but here is the $50+ more G-labs version..
http://www.glab.com.pl/gsc_en

Rezamatix":eub44un0 said:
I would/did go with the RJM effects gizmo , I can change everything midi on the time factor and I have some other pedals in the mix too...RJM makes super high quality gear, works fine with a ground control...
+1 on RJM Top quality and support from Ron :thumbsup:

jlbaxe":2wyi5dum said:
Rezamatix":2wyi5dum said:
I would/did go with the RJM effects gizmo , I can change everything midi on the time factor and I have some other pedals in the mix too...RJM makes super high quality gear, works fine with a ground control...
+1 on RJM Top quality and support from Ron :thumbsup:
+2 I have an RG-16. topnotch!

I think an RG-16 might be overkill for me. I don't really run a lot of pedals up front... usually just a wah, and that has to be at my feet anyway.

Mostly I want to be able to add some texture to clean tones and maybe the odd trippy effect on leads to break things up.

some dude":28kia002 said:
I think an RG-16 might be overkill for me. I don't really run a lot of pedals up front... usually just a wah, and that has to be at my feet anyway.

Mostly I want to be able to add some texture to clean tones and maybe the odd trippy effect on leads to break things up.

Exactly what I do, Just a wah and the RM1 board on the floor which functions as an all in one controller, switcher,loopa built into 1 pedal..
I only needed the controller to engage and disengage my effects loop for reverb, delay, chorus , switch channels but turn off or change presets with the effects at the same time with one button..

I personally prefer multi effects processors. Just an unlimited amount of things you can do. And simply space wise - a 1 unit space and simple in/out is much more convenient and trouble free than switching systems and all the drawers or floorboard space. The only time getting into the switching systems makes sense to me is if you have pedals you simply love and don't want to lose.

If you don't need, want or care about amp/cab models, and want switching options, have a look at the TC Electronic G-System. Read the manual first...if that looks like it will work, read what's called "Laird's white paper" - it's stickied at the TCE forum...it will let you know what you might need to get it working with the rest of your gear.

I run mine on the floor, but you can separate the floor controller from the "brain" which can be racked...

worth a look IMO.

rsm":3rflkw2d said:
If you don't need, want or care about amp/cab models, and want switching options, have a look at the TC Electronic G-System. Read the manual first...if that looks like it will work, read what's called "Laird's white paper" - it's stickied at the TCE forum...it will let you know what you might need to get it working with the rest of your gear.

I run mine on the floor, but you can separate the floor controller from the "brain" which can be racked...

worth a look IMO.

I don't like the front end, but great fx and a controller as well.

glpg80":1ftjaioe said:
i wouldnt change actual units unless you disliked your original tone. that does not make any sense to sell something you use only because rack ears look cooler/have midi adaptors.

if you like the eventide timefactor, get the mod-factor if you see yourself utilizing its features, get a tray and an RG-16 or GCX and a power conditioner - you'll be set for expanding future pedals down the road and if you still decide you want an effects processor seperately it will fully integrate by this point quite easily - and with the RG-16 you'll be able to make a cable or purchase a cable to change your amp channels as well.
I just went this route myself. The cool thing about the RG-16 is that it will also change all of your amp's footswitchable functions...one stomp on a midi pedal changes amp and effects.

I've put a little more thought into things....

G-System - I think there'd be a lot of lost functionality on me. I don't really see myself using a lot of the "pre" effects, nor do I really like that I would have to digitize the front end signal should I want to use an OD pedal in one of the bypass loops. Additionally, both my amps have 8 functions, so I'd either A) have to give up some of those functions, or B) buy an Amp Gizmo, thus adding to the overall cost.

Amp Gizmo - Both my amps (Roadster and Mark V) have 8 functions, including a loop bypass. Between the Amp Gizmo, a Ground Control and Time/Mod Factor pedals I could achieve full midi functionality without giving up any features on my amp, plus the loop bypass on the amp would make having a separate switcher redundant. The only con to using the amp's loop bypass is that I loose the option to have delay spillover. This is also the cheapest option.

RG-16 - By the time I factor in the cost of adding an Amp Gizmo to the G-System, this option actually winds up in the middle in terms of price. The main advantage I see to it is that I could add a line mixer to parallel the delay and use the RG-16 to mute the input. It also gives me some room to expand in the future should I choose to add dirt or phase to the front end of the amp.

I've considered using a remote triggerable dirt pedal, which would eliminate the need for the RG-16 to bypass a pedal on the front end, but by the time you factor one of those into the cost it'd be around the same price as upgrading the Amp Gizmo to an RG-16 and using a dirt box that I already own.... only with the RG-16 I'd have 7 more loops left over.

I guess I just talked myself into an RG-16. I could easily do what I want with the Amp Gizmo and a couple of Eventide pedals, but I'd have no room to expand without dishing out more money.

Am I on track here? Or am I missing something obvious?

Sounds like you would be set
Does the Time Factor have a trails option? If so leave the loop on for that particular part and just bypass the effects unit with the controller..

@ some dude: Sounds like the RJ16 is the way to go, but I could be missing something here too.

@ Shark Diver: IIRC, the G-System loops are analog, no AD conversion. The new units (like mine) have the improved input buffer from the Limited version, I don't (or haven't) notice(d) any tone suck from the front end at all. :confused:

What don't you like about the front end? Just curious...

OldSkoolNJ":36c2l9sa said:
Does the Time Factor have a trails option? If so leave the loop on for that particular part and just bypass the effects unit with the controller..

It does. I'm just being a snob in that I don't what anything digitized unless it has to be digitized.

some dude":k0bb1osw said:
OldSkoolNJ":k0bb1osw said:

It does. I'm just being a snob in that I don't what anything digitized unless it has to be digitized.

and for good reason too - you shouldnt have to compromise ;)

sounds like a logical thought process with room to grow in the future and also allows full amplifier controlling capabilties.

dont forget you'll need a voodoo power supply for 9V pedals on your pedal tray.... but that is to be expected no matter what you go with.

rsm":bkiovq61 said:
@ some dude: Sounds like the RJ16 is the way to go, but I could be missing something here too.

@ Shark Diver: IIRC, the G-System loops are analog, no AD conversion. The new units (like mine) have the improved input buffer from the Limited version, I don't (or haven't) notice(d) any tone suck from the front end at all. :confused:

The loops are analog, but...

G-System_Rackunit_front1.jpg

Front end and back end A/D converters.

I just notice high end loss and a compressed signal. I spent hours trying to love it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: With a line mixer and not using the front end it is great for fx.

(I have the Red one as well)

glpg80":1di7jxtp said:
dont forget you'll need a voodoo power supply for 9V pedals on your pedal tray.... but that is to be expected no matter what you go with.

I already own a Voodoo PP2 and have a Furman and sliding shelf from my old rack. A number of years back I had a pre/power setup and intended on getting a G-Force. What I didn't have was money...

some dude":1jcxghku said:
glpg80":1jcxghku said:

I already own a Voodoo PP2 and have a Furman and sliding shelf from my old rack. A number of years back I had a pre/power setup and intended on getting a G-Force. What I didn't have was money...

yeah that green stuff is a bitch. ive got a 20 rack space monster designed that i plan to start once i graduate college. think zachman's rig but on a budget ;p

Shark Diver":2e7olkjy said:
rsm":2e7olkjy said:

The loops are analog, but...

G-System_Rackunit_front1.jpg

Front end and back end A/D converters.

I just notice high end loss and a compressed signal. I spent hours trying to love it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: With a line mixer and not using the front end it is great for fx.

(I have the Red one as well)

Thanks. Now I have to listen closer. :cry: :doh:

Back