Randall Satan 50 is announced!

Wait, is it the same amp as the Thrasher 50 more or less? The knob and switch configuration is identical.

getpubthumb

errrrrl":dzazplt5 said:
Wait, is it the same amp as the Thrasher 50 more or less? The knob and switch configuration is identical.

getpubthumb

The Satan and Thrasher are very similar amps, the Satan is basically just revoiced for more of what Ola likes. Same with the original Fortin Natas and Fortin Satan the Randalls are based on.

EvilBatman":2y1zwkc8 said:
Wizard of Ozz":2y1zwkc8 said:
Starman22":2y1zwkc8 said:
It says a Mike Fortin designed package. Hmmm. I thought Mike left Randall? Did he do some after work with them to get this 50w produced, or is Randall tagging onto his prior design of the 100w Satan? Interesting.

Mike designed this 50W awhile ago. Ola has had the 50W for over a year. It’s been in the background of several of his vids.

I had the 100W and it was a killer amp. Very well built. Very, very tight and modern mid boosted. Pretty much what you expect... but the feel is different from most of the competition. Cool feature set too.

I honestly had thought Randall Amps had gone out of business completely. Surprised to see this.

How would you compare the feel to your MTL? I have a feeling that what I'm after amp wise is nearly sold state feeling in nature. I want the breath and dimensionality that's usually found with tubes though. BTW, have you ever played any of the AMT Stone Head amps?

Head to head I like the MTL better. The Satan is really tight, dry, mid-boosted, not a lot of lowend. Not as chuggable as many might think. Not the heavy Recto/Uber lows many might expect.

The MTL has a more classic feel and response to it, while still being super tight and articulate and more of the classic Marshall crunch factor to it.

The Satan is pretty unusual and unique. Definite try before you buy sort of amp.

Wizard of Ozz":2nzqbsw9 said:
Starman22":2nzqbsw9 said:
It says a Mike Fortin designed package. Hmmm. I thought Mike left Randall? Did he do some after work with them to get this 50w produced, or is Randall tagging onto his prior design of the 100w Satan? Interesting.

Mike designed this 50W awhile ago. Ola has had the 50W for over a year. It’s been in the background of several of his vids.

I had the 100W and it was a killer amp. Very well built. Very, very tight and modern mid boosted. Pretty much what you expect... but the feel is different from most of the competition. Cool feature set too.

I honestly had thought Randall Amps had gone out of business completely. Surprised to see this.

Can confirm. This was done a long while ago, and Mike did more work on it recently. Hope it goes over well for Randall. I really like the Satan. Definitely unique.

The names and look are ridiculous and juvenile. Satan, Thrasher, and then get creative and call it the Natas, which is satan backwards. These amps would have been huge if they looked a little more appealing to adults and had normal names.

technomancer":3jelvpw4 said:
Kapo_Polenton":3jelvpw4 said:
Not a metal guy but i do think that amp sounds fantastic. What i find interesting though, is the fact that it only has 3 preamp tubes and is putting out that much gain. I am guessing a lot of transistor/diode gain is built into this circuit? I suppose that is no different than a cameron modded JMP though.

Depending on design they could be using 4 gain stages in that configuration which is a potentially a LOT of gain. Your assumption of diode clipping isn't necessarily correct.

A three tube preamp can have 4 gain stages. 4 stages from two tubes, plate fed tone stack and other tube for phase inverter. Typically the 2nd triode of tube two would be for cathode follower which would only let you get 3 gain stages.

squank":1dzs565f said:
Sorry, I'll never buy one of these.

I dig Mike's amps, and I have owned several. But I can't get past this silly name. I'm not going to have an amp in my house with a "Satan" nameplate on it. It might as well say "Cunt" on it.

C'mon, Mike, I don't want to rationalize this kind of shit to my kids looking at my gear.

SMH

Lol, yup! :thumbsup:

bwgintegra":164lctfn said:
technomancer":164lctfn said:
Kapo_Polenton":164lctfn said:
Not a metal guy but i do think that amp sounds fantastic. What i find interesting though, is the fact that it only has 3 preamp tubes and is putting out that much gain. I am guessing a lot of transistor/diode gain is built into this circuit? I suppose that is no different than a cameron modded JMP though.

Depending on design they could be using 4 gain stages in that configuration which is a potentially a LOT of gain. Your assumption of diode clipping isn't necessarily correct.

A three tube preamp can have 4 gain stages. 4 stages from two tubes, plate fed tone stack and other tube for phase inverter. Typically the 2nd triode of tube two would be for cathode follower which would only let you get 3 gain stages.

I'm guessing it's a mis-print. I'm betting there's 4, with a phase inverter.

squank":3h358tqq said:
Sorry, I'll never buy one of these.

I dig Mike's amps, and I have owned several. But I can't get past this silly name. I'm not going to have an amp in my house with a "Satan" nameplate on it. It might as well say "Cunt" on it.

C'mon, Mike, I don't want to rationalize this kind of shit to my kids looking at my gear.

SMH

Yep, me too. That the stupidest name for an amp ever. Somebody’s trying way too hard to be “metal.” Just dumb.

napalmdeath":1qarowpj said:
paulyc":1qarowpj said:
I don’t care what it’s called, it’s made in China I don’t want it.

You'd fit right in at The Gear Page
I wouldn’t own a non English Marshall either, or Chinese Celestions. Sorry.

The Randall Marketing Department needs to take a hike. They manage to take decent sounding and innovative amps and attach horrible names and hideous cosmetics that aim for a tiny market but essentially appeals to no one.

crankyrayhanky":2uktdon5 said:
The Randall Marketing Department needs to take a hike. They manage to take decent sounding and innovative amps and attach horrible names and hideous cosmetics that aim for a tiny market but essentially appeals to no one.

I agree. I'd love to own this amp, but there'd always be an unnerving feeling with "Satan" being on the faceplate.

Back