Random grievance: high gain Kemper profiles "with boosts"

JimAnsell

why?! 90% of them sound like shit because there is way too much gain going on. choptones has all these profile packs and many of the profiles of already insanely high gain amps are profiled with some collection of boost pedals in front of it as well, like a selling point. there are plenty of boosts inside the kemper already if you want to make your tone sound like mushy feces, without having to have some "imprinted" boost that you can't switch out. </rant>

It may just be me but I feel like most high gain profiles sound the same on the Kemper. Add a boost and they definitely do.

It is about the sweetspot for gain. I found that the gain about 6.9-7.3 works best for me for heavy rhythm and 7.5-8.0 max for leads. With or without boost pedal baked in the profile. Any more gain and you will find that the profiles are way overcompressed and will sound the same. Boost pedals are great way to add clarity to some higain profiles but I like some amps profiled alone more than with OD pedal (f.e. Diezel Herbert and VH4, Engl Savage, Ceriatone Leviathan...).

why?! 90% of them sound like shit because there is way too much gain going on. choptones has all these profile packs and many of the profiles of already insanely high gain amps are profiled with some collection of boost pedals in front of it as well, like a selling point. there are plenty of boosts inside the kemper already if you want to make your tone sound like mushy feces, without having to have some "imprinted" boost that you can't switch out. </rant>
dude-I'm a gain addict. the HM2 is my favorite pedal if that tells you anything....lol

Amateurs
E18FB940-5841-4E84-820F-737AF1E72C37.jpeg

When I had a Kemper I had the same experience. Most high gain profiles sounded like ass. I would sometimes find a couple that worked OK but it seemed like everyone did the same thing of dialing in too much gain, boosting with weird settings that caused weird, squelchy wah pedal sounding midrange, too much bass, chopped off treble and it was just a fizzy, musdy mess in a mix. Then with all that gain and sh it I would have a lot of trouble controlling the noise from the input.

It all depends on the capture. Sometimes it works and a lot of the times it doesn't. Virtually anybody can make a profile. Very few make good ones IMO. YMMV

Rolling down the definition in the amp settings helps. I like using the wet/dry mix knob on the boost.

I play mine with real 4x12's and turn the Kemper cab IR off.

Yup, dialling the Definition parameter back takes you into vintage territory; my fave parameter, actually.

You can also try blending in a bit of the DI input to-taste. Forgotten where the parameter is right now; I'm out-of-touch... maybe the Amp section?

Back