Randy Rhoads Tone Challenge

I was looking for "bats head soup" and stumbled across this tribute album instead... maybe it is just me, but a younger less sloppy Malmsteen probably would have been a pretty bitchin hire for Ozzy! Imagine Malmsteen in 82-85 on tour with Ozzy. That would have been epic. His tone on this tribute is the newer crappy Malmsteen, I am thinking Rising force, Marching out tone and playing would have been perfection.

Voodoo, I thought you did a Crowley first solo clip that was quite awesome. At least I think it was you.

I've always thought a big part of his recorded sound was the multiple tracking of everything.

SpiderWars":3qgmrxac said:
Voodoo, I thought you did a Crowley first solo clip that was quite awesome. At least I think it was you.
Oh it was him for sure. VooDoo freaking RIPS on the axe.
Watch his Maiden 'Trooper' solo. :yes:

Mailman1971":2rk71rxc said:
SpiderWars":2rk71rxc said:
Oh it was him for sure. VooDoo freaking RIPS on the axe.
Watch his Maiden 'Trooper' solo. :yes:

Thanks brother! I am very sloppy..trying to focus on cleaning up my playing more and more.
I might have to do these things multiple times just to get them where they are and wearing that mask makes it a bit harder to see and hear..
Don't know if I have an excuse for playing without it :doh:

It is me, I just put all those vids under Michael's own account. He didnt want to share with me.. :LOL: :LOL:

Crowley..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiIegBrj-A4

All those vids are here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwrAZd ... shelf_id=0

Rdodson":h28yp6xs said:
I've always thought a big part of his recorded sound was the multiple tracking of everything.

Agree :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Those multi layers indeed gave it more depth for sure. Many variables but the layering def played a big part imo.

Chester Nimitz":2n9g5c1g said:
Thanks Dan !!!
:rock:
Hey man your playing was really good ... :thumbsup:[/quote]

Thanks Bro!!
In all honesty, that took me close to 15 times to keep redoing it in order to get it without sloppyness and as close as I could get it.

I have the whole vid of me ( Michael ) playing it on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtHITSYKRk

You see the difference in one take vs many of them to get it better..

I never heard anyone complain about Randy Rhoads until i got on the internet about 11 years ago.

His music is timeless. ;)

Mailman1971":1uy5002x said:
Man your one of the better players here. To see you pulling it off as Myers.
Impressive! :yes:

I appreciate that, but no way. There are some serious guitarists here. Im a hack in comparison.

Randy Rhoads could do no wrong imo.

I find Randy's studio album tones abysmal. Always have. It wasn't the tone that sold the albums IMHO. It was the songs. Not to mention Ozzy DID have a pretty well established fan base...

JerEvil":3akq3fuc said:
I find Randy's studio album tones abysmal. Always have. It wasn't the tone that sold the albums IMHO. It was the songs. Not to mention Ozzy DID have a pretty well established fan base...

Randy wrote/Co wrote those songs ....

ElectricVoodoo":3rypguh2 said:
JerEvil":3rypguh2 said:

I am confused by this response...

I didn't say OZZY wrote the songs, I said the songs sold the albums. Randy had no legit worldwide fanbase before Ozzy. I would argue Randy's playing is much more hailed than his tone will ever be.

JerEvil":3itac7oi said:
ElectricVoodoo":3itac7oi said:
JerEvil":3itac7oi said:

I didn't say OZZY wrote the songs, I said the songs sold the albums. Randy had no legit worldwide fanbase before Ozzy. I would argue Randy's playing is much more hailed than his tone will ever be.
6c0bd572f463260fbc9b2738be0f0e53.jpg

Ozzy didn't have a pot to piss in after leaving Sabbath. He lived in a "pay by the day" cheap hollywood transient Hotel.
The fanbase was for Sabbath which after Oz was fired was being driven by Dio and doing fine.
Ozzy didn't enjoy any success until he hired Rhoads.

You have no idea what youre talking about.

And people went to see Blizzard & DOAMM songs not the Sabbath stuff.

I'd like to hear a close enough recreation to Randy's rhythm tone in "Steal Away." That doesn't really sound like any other rhythm tones on the rest of the Blizzard of Ozz album.

Chester Nimitz":2pi5l5l3 said:
JerEvil":2pi5l5l3 said:
ElectricVoodoo":2pi5l5l3 said:
JerEvil":2pi5l5l3 said:

Ozzy didn't have a pot to piss in after leaving Sabbath. He lived in a "pay by the day" cheap hollywood transient Hotel.
The fanbase was for Sabbath which after Oz was fired was being driven by Dio and doing fine.

I know his tone sucked on the albums! And, for the love of God, PLEASE don't be so CharvelDan! LOL!

Everyone knows Ozzy was f*cked after Sabbath. Doesn't change the fact he was still a household name, for better or worse. You mean to tell me ANY band Randy played for would have enjoyed the same success he saw with Ozzy? And don't give me that "we'll never know" crap.

I personally know more guitar players than I can count, many of whom are RR fans, and "Man I wish I could nail Randy's tone" said NONE of them!

JerEvil":3llogn8j said:
Chester Nimitz":3llogn8j said:
ElectricVoodoo":3llogn8j said:

I know his tone sucked on the albums! And, for the love of God, PLEASE don't be so CharvelDan! LOL!

Everyone knows Ozzy was f*cked after Sabbath. Doesn't change the fact he was still a household name, for better or worse. You mean to tell me ANY band Randy played for would have enjoyed the same success he saw with Ozzy? And don't give me that "we'll never know" crap.

Case in point...
Quiet_Riot_1977.jpg

thisguy":1kq7dtzn said:
JerEvil":1kq7dtzn said:
Chester Nimitz":1kq7dtzn said:
ElectricVoodoo":1kq7dtzn said:

Case in point...
Quiet_Riot_1977.jpg
Randy was not with them when they finally "broke" nor would he be credited for their mainstream success which happened with Cavazo, unless you meant by the post they did not enjoy the Ozzy level success with HIM in the band. I know they were pretty successful in the LA scene while he was in the band.

Hell, am I not correct that their original releases with Rhoads weren't even release in the US? I am no QR aficionado so I am likely wrong...

Anyway, to be clear... I LOVE Randy's playing and he was a huge influence growing up. Not disparaging him at all as a talent nor discrediting his genius! I just think he had shit tone on the albums!

Back