Randy Rhoads vs. Eddie Van Halen

Marshall Law":k8yb91eo said:
Randy was twice the player Eddie was, even Randy use to say ed is all smoke and mirrors,have you people forgotten, just listen to the song, diary of a madman, and find anything technically close from van halen, it doesn't exist,
Really? How about "Girl Gone Bad"? Technically very difficult... There are many more as well.

Steve

sah5150":3hjhmv84 said:
Marshall Law":3hjhmv84 said:
Randy was twice the player Eddie was, even Randy use to say ed is all smoke and mirrors,have you people forgotten, just listen to the song, diary of a madman, and find anything technically close from van halen, it doesn't exist,
Really? How about "Girl Gone Bad"? Technically very difficult... There are many more as well.

Steve
Yup, Or the swing in I'm the one. I can count on one hand the amount of guitar players who can actually play it correctly.

Here is the deal people. Stick to the point and mention why you like one guitar player over the other. Saying who is best is your opinion and not fact. Here is my broken record statement......arguing about what is best or who is teh BEST is like arguing about what the best color is.
Everyone has there own Idea of what the BEST is.

You can give your opinion as to who you prefer but when you go on a tangent and say why someone is a better player and you try to force your OPINION on someone, you look like an IDIOT. Plain and simple :hys:

There is no Best. There is only what is BEST for/to you and that's it.

/end of rant hahaha!!

Carry on!! :rock:

sah5150":2d275sos said:
Marshall Law":2d275sos said:

Steve
C'mon Steve...not even close. Eddie brought A LOT to the table, but precise, technical playing wasn't a part of that package IMO. Not that he didn't have a few moments (check out his spotlight solo in "Live Without a Net" for one) but overall he was more "tricks and flash" than well composed as far as soloing is concerned (I personally think his rhythms are his strong point). ;)

I love Randy but there's something a little boring and un-rocknroll about a "well-composed solo"...IMO.

Even when I say the phrase "well-composed solo" in my head, it always plays out in a Nigel Tufnel voice...

Gainfreak":pz4x8y5l said:
Yup, Or the swing in I'm the one. I can count on one hand the amount of guitar players who can actually play it correctly.
That swing you guys keep referring to is just him playing drunk...... :)

Greazygeo":15vfonxh said:
Gainfreak":15vfonxh said:
You just Leveled me with that comment and I'm pretty sure that I just Pissed myself :D

Personally I don't give a toss who's the more technical player, what RR would've done had he been allowed to live, EVH didn't hit his ceiling by insert your choise of album here etc. I just happen to get inspired more by RR's playing than EVH's simple as that.

GRIN.

Greazygeo":3qhv4utt said:
Gainfreak":3qhv4utt said:
:hys:

Greazygeo":j7kzs9xa said:
Gainfreak":j7kzs9xa said:

LMAO!!!!!!
The Live Without a Net solo is one baddass solo and why I have zero interest in seeing Ed again, I was at that show and that is how I will remember Ed.

If a kid asked me who to listen to and copy today I would say learn from Randy and then have some fun with VH.

Michi":1bac2iks said:
Rogue":1bac2iks said:
Gainfreak":1bac2iks said:
......arguing about what is best or who is teh BEST is like arguing about what the best color is.
Blue. Clearly.

You sir are right. Black is teh best color.
Anybody with even a little bit of knowledge and talent knows that purple is the best color. Purple guitars and amps simply sound better...it's been scientifically proven. In fact I found this indisputable quote on the internet:

"Purple guitars and amps sound better" - Abraham Lincoln

rupe":3ck124m0 said:
Anybody with even a little bit of knowledge and talent knows that purple is the best color. Purple guitars and amps simply sound better...it's been scientifically proven. In fact I found this indisputable quote on the internet:

:hys: :hys: :hys:

that declaration trumps all others!

Marshall Law":3fo9y1kg said:
Randy is the more technical player. Randy has good improv skills too. One of my favorite solo's from Randy was Children of the Grave on Tribute. Good stuff.

That said, I don't know of anything from RR that matches the spontaneity, energy, and flow of the Hot for Teacher solo. Of course, I consider that the ultimate rock and roll solo. I've never heard anyone nail that solo, even Eddie. It came from some other place.

I like and appreciate technical players, but there is something to be said for those guys that improv something that is iconic. That is not born of technical ability and that's the reason guys that do it well have their place in history.

As a historical reference, Eddie brought life back to guitar solos and all the guys that followed with great technical skills ended up killing the guitar solo. So, you know, technical doesn't necessarily equal good. ;)

rupe":14p77w20 said:
Michi":14p77w20 said:
Rogue":14p77w20 said:
Gainfreak":14p77w20 said:
......arguing about what is best or who is teh BEST is like arguing about what the best color is.
Blue. Clearly.

You sir are right. Black is teh best color.

This ^

:D

Polka Dots and Bow Ties vs Stripes and Bandannas. . . I love em' both. Eddie was a tone genius and still is I believe. I really like all of his older stuff. RR wrote better music though I think. My two points have been beaten to death here so I don't know why I regurgitated my two cents lol. Both were huge influences to me, but I give Randy the win on being more influential to me growing up learning guitar.

Back