Reb Beach got Tone

Reb was the guy i always pointed to when people said you can't shred with thin picks. He uses .60mm Orange Tortex for christ sakes.

I use that exact pick as well, of course I'm a bit of a Beach fan so that may have something to do with it. I like to believe the medium thickness adds a hint of chewiness to single notes (which I love). I like his taste in guitars too actually, using my poor mans version of one in this track (and you can spot the orange Tortex as well).

I use that exact pick as well, of course I'm a bit of a Beach fan so that may have something to do with it. I like to believe the medium thickness adds a hint of chewiness to single notes (which I love). I like his taste in guitars too actually, using my poor mans version of one in this track (and you can spot the orange Tortex as well).

Do you use the EMG 85 Like He does?

As a die hard 80's Metallica fan, it used to pain me to admit Winger destroys Metallica (at their peak) on an instrumental level. Of course I'm referring to the Lars throwing darts at a Kip Winger poster incident and the anti-Winger backlash that followed.

Reb's tone was a little on the treble side when we saw Winger a few months back. Not bad, but didn't have the oomph and growl (mids and lows) that Bill Leverty (Firehouse) was packing.

In case you are wondering, my old lady dragged me to see Winger because -like 90% of women- she thought young Kip was attractive. They sounded better than I expected; never know with bands once they approach the 60-years-old line. I say this because having seen so many bands in the last 9 years beginning to show their age. For example: Motley Crue really needs to hang it up. Tommy was struggling with the more physically-demanding stuff, and Mick was falling out of time as well. The only reason Nikki looked the most competent is because he dances around- holding a bass- to a backing track.

Anyhow- Firehouse and Winger sounded good granted they are in the 55-70 age group.
As a result of my presence, I was immortalized in this Winger photograph, standing just behind Rod Morgenstein's right arm (in the white t shirt).

Attachments

• IMG_7642.jpeg
    IMG_7642.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

I love this damn song so much. I wish I could play it even half as good as he can. That arpeggiated riff, I just can't get the timing/rhythm right on it. I really dig how beat to shit his guitar is, just from playing the hell out of it.

I'm just proud to see a split channel JCM800 head on the same stage as the CAA and Bogners
My favorite Marshall heads, but boy were they disliked for a while. Seems people have come around on them

Back