Recommend a 2x12 cab for home/bedroom use

Since the V30 thing was mentioned... Orange has the standard Chinese V30s. Unless something has changed, only Mesa and Marshall have their own flavors. It’s the magnets codes which can best identify them:

T3903 Standard 8 ohm
T3904 Standard 16 ohm
T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

That aside, I never loved either V30s or Greenbacks at bedroom volumes. But that’s just bedroom volumes in general. :LOL: :LOL:

mooncobra":3qah3tis said:
avatar, they make a copy of the bogner with your choice of speakers shipped for $450!

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/favorit ... intage-sp/

I got one the other day, it sounds big, yet tight and defined, got it with a vintage 30 and a greenback. Playing it with my Friedman BE/SS and it sounds great.

a friend brought over his bogner 2x12 today. same cab and speakers as avatar replica. very, very close, the bogner was a hair brighter, but the avatar was a hair tighter.

All those cabs you listed are really good cabs. I’d say get a matching cab for whatever rig you’re putting together, so match the head.

I picked up a THD 2x12 off Craigslist and dropped in H75 Creambacks to go with my BE50. Sounds great. Cost $450 all said and done. So many options out there.

Did I miss what amp this is for?

PBGas":1uotavwz said:
I’ve had the Bogner 212CB and I now have the Friedman BE-212. Both are great cabs and I would be happy with either!

What about the Bogner OS 2x12?

I too have the Friedman 2x12 and have wondered how it compares to the Bogner 2x12CB. What, if any, are the differences between the Friedman and Bogner CB?

Cheers!

from my experiences, quality of cab isn't that important for bedroom use. Bigger factor is speaker choice and behavior of master volume on your amps.

Bogner OS sound really big (because it is really big :) ) but isn't as tight as compact 2x12 (Mesa recto for example). I had Friedman 2x12 with ported back and sounds good at home with Friedman Smallbox (great master volume).

IMO you won't go wrong with any of these options. As others have said they are probably all great cabs and some of them are probably made by the same builders.

For me it would depend on a lot of things but I would have it narrowed down to 2. The Bogner with open back option, really cool to be able to have 3/4 or full closed back option plus Bogner is one of the highest regarded 2x12's out there or I would probably go with the Thiele based on portability and compact size alone. 2x12's are cool but they are not 4x12's you will never get close. Doesn't matter how oversize a 2x12 is you are not moving 4 speakers. I also would disagree with V30's sounding bad at low volume.

Spaceboy":2c9wr6w6 said:
Avatar if you want mismatched speakers right out of the gate.

Another vote for Avatar here, picked mine up in sale (NEW) for $300 and change ($355 maybe) with Celestion G12M65
, swapped one for a v30 I had lying around and it's the tits! Looks great too.

Cabs are over thought IMO. Speakers make much more of a difference than everything else.

IMO pick a speaker combo, chose a logo and color and it will sound great.

There ARE differences, but at any level an EQ on the amp will make more of a difference.

I find that for most of the bedrooms I play a 4x12 is preferable to a 2x12 to be honest.

Definitely go VERTICAL 2x12. It has a smaller footprint which is better for smaller indoor spaces. Also better than a horizontal because it’s easier to hear when it’s sitting on the floor (which is where it should be). Bogner and Mesa make a nice one but you can also find an old Carvin or ADA nowadays for dirt cheap and replace the speakers.

I agree on the Avatar 212s, too. I have 2 of them, and one of their 112s right now, and have had 2 of their 412s in the past. Great cabs with solid construction that sound awesome and dont cost a fortune.

Don't know if it was mentioned but for home/bedroom I'd use an open-back cab. Fills the room better imo.

Have a look at Sourmash Cabs, they sound great and are quality builds. My main cab for home is the 2061 CX clone with a Friedman PT20 - good size, easy to move and sounds killer!

I've had many 2x12s: Splawn, 1936, Port City Wave OS, Mojo, Voltage, Bogner OS semi-open back, and now have the Bogner OS and Friedman 2x12.

My current fave is the Friedman 2x12. I've A/B'd it extensively with the Bogner OS and both are great, but my preference is the Friedman. I didn't think I'd prefer the Friedman over the Bogner in a live setting, but I do. The Bogner is more middy, closer to your hear, and can thus present more hair and sizzle, highs. The Friedman, while lower and not as close to your ear, I somehow tames the highs for me. I find I'm always lowering the highs on the Bogner a little more, or, I have more range in the highs with my Friedman. My bandmates agreed and they want me taking the Friedman to gigs now.

Also, the Friedman has more thump and tight punch than the Bogner. It's a noticeable different. So yes, while the Bogner OS thumps and punches, the Friedman is tigther, has more bloom, and that is due to the port in the back.

Can't go wrong with either of those.

I found all the other cabs more directional, except the Bogner OS semi-open back, which is like having a larger port. YMMV, but the Port City Wave OS (I had one of the first ones made back in 2007 when they released the OS 2x12), was surprisingly the most directional out of the bunch. But maybe my ears were not as refined back then.

nevusofota":3savry14 said:
Definitely go VERTICAL 2x12. It has a smaller footprint which is better for smaller indoor spaces. Also better than a horizontal because it’s easier to hear when it’s sitting on the floor (which is where it should be). Bogner and Mesa make a nice one but you can also find an old Carvin or ADA nowadays for dirt cheap and replace the speakers.
you can turn any cab on its side and then the head has to go somewhere

also some suggestions here like orange and bogner os cabs are as large as many 4x12s and aren't really "small" by any means. if i was just going at it in the bedroom i probably wouldn't get a 2x12. i play through my computer at home honestly, and sometimes a 1x12 katana modeler. i leave the cabs and real amps for my band practice space.

Back