Recommend some Amps that sound good at low volumes?

mightywarlock

Thinking of all my amps, they all need to be cranked to sound their best.
But I've been looking for some lower powered amps that are good for home use and Mic'd stage use lately as well.

I picked up an Orange Dark Terror recently, and really like it, but feel I might sell it to get a TH30 instead.
Was also thinking of a Krank Jr. 20watt amp, and if I went crazy, the 5150III.

But What do some folks recommend for amps that sound great at lower volumes, rather than having to crank them all the way up?
Is our only option to buy lower wattage amps?
It should be good for home and stage use...loud enough for full band use, with loud drummer, or be able to sound just as great at home with a baby sleeping in another room.

What say ye.

Diezels and Marks sound killer at low volumes. Low watt toaster amps like the Baron Snott Watt, and all those probably would work. Other than that, maybe try a POD HD or another modeler?

I wonder if it is just that the speakers need the movement and air...so maybe there is no way unless it is loud to sound great....?

From my experience:

Any Engl (especially the Blackmore and Screamer)
EVH 50 Watt
VHT/Fryettel Pitbull CL
Orange Rockerverb
Marshall JVM

All of those have their own thing going on......which may or may not be your thing. But the common denominator is that their tone changes very little from whisper to scream.

EyesOfTheSouth":1k6xkyzj said:
From my experience:
Any Engl (especially the Blackmore and Screamer)
Add the SE to that. I didn't care for it cranked and it's a helluva lot of money but it was hands down the best recording amp I've ever owned. Throw a mic in front of it and it sat in the mix and sounded as good as any modern major-label mastered guitar sound I ever heard. Every single time.

The only small tube amp I've played is my Snott Watt. It sounds pretty good at relatively quiet levels, but it still sounds better when it's cranked. I mean it's a lot quieter than a full size head, but still gonna be loud enough to be heard through a wall when cranked. The only thing, IMO, that's gonna sound great at whisper quiet levels is probably going to be a modeler of some sort.

I would find it extremely hard to believe that at least one of that dozen amps in your sig wouldn't sound good at lower volumes. :doh:

The 20th Anniv XTC sounds awesome at low volume and becomes an experience at high volume (if that makes sense).

glpg80":3juekq9z said:
Just get a Rivera Rockcrusher power soak for your amplifiers. Problem solved.

This! you've got amazing amps, Attenuate those fuckers! Darren uses one for his local gigs and it sounds great...

Peters amps are among the best I've heard for this. Controls that work in a way that make you wonder why all amps don't work that way.

All seven of my high wattage high gain amps sound good at low volumes.

It's more about one's eq dialing technique rather than an amps appeared capability limitations.

Back