retubed my herbbie with kt77's and deff miss the el34's

mesa50w

Eailed my tech to see what he set the bias at to see if they are too cold. I know most say a mix of power tubes sound best, but I went with all KT77's :aww: should have listened

I have all EL34's and when its time to change them I am doing all EL34's again.
Best results I have found is:
Channel 2+
Channel volume 3
Gain 12
Treble 2-3
Bass 3-4
Mids maxed
no mid cut
Volume 1 (at whatever level you choose)

I didnt get to play the amp too much with the el34's since it was having volume drop issues and peter told me I should re-tube it. So honestly I prob only had 4 hours total on it with the el34's and it sat for olmost 2 weeks till the tubes came in and I got the bias set. But with the kt77's it just dosent have that growl too it like it had with the el34's ....sorry Ive never been good at giving details on tones .. but I will say this barley messed with the settings when I first got it ...thought it was the prefect amp and now Im always messing with the settings to get the right tone out of it?? and evan thought about just selling it last night .. My amp guys coming over fri and were going to mess with it differant tubes and bias settings ...he did say the el34's that were in it were running pretty hot when he first opened up the amp. So hopefully we can get it sounding like it was if not ...the search will go on ....lol

well got a bias rite last week so Ive been playing around with differant tube setups..right now I got 2 JJ el34l's , 2- kt77, and 2 6l6's in it sounds pretty dang good I must say

when I had my Herbert I prefered all el34.

tried all the power tube combos and liked the el34 best overall.

better mids and punch

OHH no! :doh: I just bought a full retube kit (KT77's) for my Herbert. :scared: However, I fortunately have enough tubes laying around to mix El34/KT77/6L6 but I have never heard the Herbert with KT77's. :confused: I'm a little worried that I might not like the KT77's but I guess my ears will tell me, after all is said and done. :rock:

what papa said .... Im starting to think that the guy I had bias up the full kt77's didnt have the bias set correctly I checked the bais he did on my plexi clone and it was off...I have a bias rite now so I dont have to worry about taking the amp anywhere now:) this weekend I plan on putting the other 2 kt77's back in her and checking it out... for the simple fact that Peter says thats the tube he likes now a days ...and lets not kid ourselves Peter knows whats best for these amps more so then you or I or anyone else for that matter.

Back