Reverb Amp Buy Gone Bad

RACKSYSTEMS":64od1d7z said:
Ok I’m going to say something here..
1) most likely the guy had no idea the amp had a bias pot mod.. ( this is a good thing and is a total asset for these amps)
2) yes the cord was a mistake ( tubes a super easy fix)
3) I have never seen a old MESA like this that didn’t have rust on the transformers ( this is not a issue in any way) it’s just the cover
4) packing is bY far not the worst I have ever seen( I see a ton of boxes all the time) no damage to the shell off the amp

5) most likely the amp was recapped at some point in its life.. not a bad thing.. also standard person would have no idea..

Agree with all of these but the item is still "significantly not as described" so a claim is valid....just sucks to have to go through that crap.

I don't think the seller was a scumbag, just naive and/or lazy...many of us have been burnt and are super careful (hence the questions) but a lot more people juts aren't that particular in my experience.

Re #4 I had someone ship me an amp using only peanuts as packing in a box almost as big as that.....getting all the glass everywhere sucked...and also an Engl Cab with just the label and few sheets of card taped to outside....surprisingly that one arrived undamaged though \m/

I agree with Dave,.
I've seen much worse pack jobs.
for the most part, guys just don't have a clue on how to pack amps.
it literally takes me a couple of hours to properly pack an amplifier.
but at least the headshell wasn't cracked, or the Transformers bent..

I do understand being upset about the guy not disclosing the rust issue that you specifically asked him about.
However, they are just the covers, and that won't affect anything.

You should have no problem going through the channels and returning the amplifier for a refund if that's what you want to do.
But Heck, if the amp sounds great, I would just have him pay for New tubes (and maybe a little extra partial refund) and play the darn thing.

napalmdeath":f3i82fcm said:
LP Freak":f3i82fcm said:
Just curious, what the issue with a little rust on the transformer? Iron does rust quite easily.

+1. I don't get that, either.
Because the OP asked specifically if there was rust on the Transformers. The seller said no.
Apparently he's blind.

I personally don't mind the rust. But to each their own. Seller outright lied about it.

Racerxrated":2qd2z9zf said:
napalmdeath":2qd2z9zf said:
LP Freak":2qd2z9zf said:
Just curious, what the issue with a little rust on the transformer? Iron does rust quite easily.

+1. I don't get that, either.
Because the OP asked specifically if there was rust on the Transformers. The seller said no.
Apparently he's blind.

I personally don't mind the rust. But to each their own. Seller outright lied about it.

You are correct sir. And if they sounded better pre-rusted, I’m sure they’d come that from the factory.
:yes:

Thats suck dude. I hate when sellers don't supply good pics to begin with. If the guy had a few gut shots this would have never have happened. I have asked for better or clearer pics before and usually get a shitty reply along the lines of "are you really planning on buying this?" with no new pics. Kind of sucks, cause without clear detailed pics it is a gamble.

RACKSYSTEMS":2jogbjqa said:
Ok I’m going to say something here..
1) most likely the guy had no idea the amp had a bias pot mod.. ( this is a good thing and is a total asset for these amps)
2) yes the cord was a mistake ( tubes a super easy fix)
3) I have never seen a old MESA like this that didn’t have rust on the transformers ( this is not a issue in any way) it’s just the cover
4) packing is bY far not the worst I have ever seen( I see a ton of boxes all the time) no damage to the shell off the amp
5) most likely the amp was recapped at some point in its life.. not a bad thing.. also standard person would have no idea..

I agree with all of these. However, the fact is that Wizard asked the specific questions and the buyer lied about several of them. Really, the rusted transformer is the big one to me, as it's very obvious and there's no way the seller didn't know. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller had never looked before hand, but when asked the actual question I'm certain he looked. He just hoped to get by with it.

I'd agree that the bias pot mod isn't really a mod, but really just a fix due to Mesa's poor design choice, but it really should be disclosed with pictures, especially if a buyer has as many specific questions as Wizard has. There's no reason in 2018 not to take a dozen or two dozen pictures and post them. Digital photos are free. It takes a minute to pull an amp chassis and snap some pics, especially after someone asked. The recap isn't really a mod - akin to changing brakes on a car.

The packing isn't up-to-standard due to the fact that there's no way it'd be covered if damaged, but have definitely seen far worse over the years. I don't think it's a huge deal, but more just one more on top of the rest.

$1800 should buy a pristine Rev G Triple Recto with a gram of coke in the chassis. At $1000-$1200, the condition is what I would expect.

It was not to have any mods. Who did the bias mod, Joe Shit the amp dude?

When I have an amp show up in a box like that, and packed like that, I prepare for the worse, and it sets me off too. Lazy fucks. Lucky it wasn't busted up.

Go buy a proper box and packing material, or specify local pick up.

Some people have no business shipping gear.

Seller should man up and pay up.

Steve

steve_k":2z36fvrq said:
$1800 should buy a pristine Rev G Triple Recto with a gram of coke in the chassis. At $1000-$1200, the condition is what I would expect.

When I have an amp show up in a box like that, and packed like that, I prepare for the worse, and it sets me off too. Lazy fucks. Lucky it wasn't busted up.

Steve
Exactly. A Rev F Triple was on Craigslist local to me for 1200 and it sat for a month. In about the same condition as the OPs. For 1800 seller could have at least had Fedex/UPS pack it for him.

steve_k":yrj957b9 said:

Steve

Exactly. Thanks Steve. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are familiar with Joe Sh!t's Amp Mods. The loosely wrapped electrical tape with a squirt of silicone caulk is one of his classic mods. I'm just glad he didn't sign the inside of the chassis.

Well...

Reverb has been 100% useless. Seems like "Reverb Buyer Protection" is laughable at best. Sent them a bunch of pics and details 2 days ago... haven't heard a peep back.

Looks like I'll go thru PP. Sad. Last time I buy anything on Reverb.

Wizard of Ozz":257mba5c said:
Well...

Reverb has been 100% useless. Seems like "Reverb Buyer Protection" is laughable at best. Sent them a bunch of pics and details 2 days ago... haven't heard a peep back.

Damn.. I always thought Reverb was a pretty safe haven for this kind of shit. Like I said earlier, packing aside the amp was misrepresented, intentionally or not. This should have been an easy return. I dont care if the seller is a member here or not but the fact he wont take a return is out and out douchebaggery on an epic level!!!

I'm glad you outt'd the guy.

I've shipped empty head shell packed 10x better than that.

I hate seeing this happen...sorry Wizard...hope you can get it resolved.

Wizard of Ozz":24xyt1qt said:
Well...

Reverb, when it started out was good at taking care of these things. Plus, all the seller fees are accounted for and returned. Ever since they started with the Reverb Checkout option direct with a CC, they don't seem to give a shit about PP purchases anymore. Maybe get them on the live chat and communicate with them. But, direct to PP will work too. The seller will be out the seller fee to Reverb as well.

Good luck.

Back