Revv G8 noise gate was delivered today...

harddriver

I will preface this review that I didn't really like my ISP Decimater noise gate...it was sluggish on the gate opening and closing and sometimes wouldn't let things ring out naturally maybe some tone suck but it was a gate. So I was watching one of Michael Nielsens videos awhile back and I noticed he was using a Revv G8 noise gate. I know he is pretty picky about his gear so I took a chance on the Revv G8 and ordered it last week.

I just got done running it through my pseudo Dime(since I recently sold my last RG100ES) rig driving my Splawn modded Marshall 2203 with the VFE Standout EQ with the Revv G8 gating without the G8 I could not use the OD lead channel boost(gain set to 4) it was all too much gain with VFE standout pushing things things just feedback and super noisy. Now even on OD2 which is ludicrous amounts of gain and noise(ala Dime) the Revv G8 controls things about as perfect as I could want with minimal tweaking to get settings that work and sound good.

The hold and release functions of the gate work really well and can be tweaked exactly how you want it nuanced, with the hold and release both set to noon it allows for held notes to ring out into harmonic feedback even with a heavy gating threshold set to 3 o'clock which is where I need it to gate fully and it gates quickly and releases just as quick but if you close a note it will ring through.....Quite impressive to say the least. I was a little concerned about the closed/held notes not ringing through as I was cranking up the Threshold levels from noon to 3 o'clock but the Revv G8 allows it easily which makes me more than happy with it.

I also did not notice any excessive tone suck with the pedal on versus off. $199 bucks= Winning!
:2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

The issue that I have with noise gates is the tone suck. Maybe I put them in the wrong spot? Have used several in multiple positions and they all take a certain edge off that I don't like.

Have used NS-2's, Decimator II G-String (I think that's what it was called), and currently the Sentry. Oddly enough, the gates in the BluGuitar Iridium/Mercury, 5150 pedal, and Digitech RP1000 work really well to my ears. If the Revv doesn't take the edge off, I would be in.

Congrats. Sounds like a winner.

I'm new to noise gates, but can you compare it to the Boss NS2 - which is what I have?
I've never used a Boss NS2 but alot of people seem to be satisfied on their performance. For me the quickness of the opening and closing of the gate was of upmost concern while still allowing the held notes and chords to ring into harmonic feedback was a goal that the Revv is better at versus my ISP which was not as nuanced in it's performance and I wanted a step up to what I already had for alot of years.

If you are not cramming the ludricous amount of gain that I am into my amp with the standout and still trying to use OD2 on my Splawn Marshall then the Boss NS2 is probably fine. I can't say there isn't any tonesuck in every case but with the setup I used it sounded pretty minimal if any.

I would have to say you would have to A/B the Revv and Boss and see which one you liked the best. I do think the Revv is a evolutionary improvement to the older noise gate technology. There were alot of glowing reviews on Sweetwater about the the Revv G8 not ruining the tone so between Michael Nielsen(YT guy) using one and all those postive reviews I figured it was worth a try since the Fotin Zuul and others still had their hangups and issues as well. The Revv may not be perfect but it works better than what I had and accells at allowing the held notes to ring through which my ISP used to cut of. Once the the held harmonic feedback starts you can hold it as long as you want the gate won't close on it but if you mute the strings at the bridge with the edge of your hand it closes instantly totally quiet. I still probably can tweak it some more but running the Hold and Release straight up at noon worked just fine with a pretty heavy gate threshold set to 3 oclock. For other setups the hold and release probably can be set more or less subtle depending on what you like I haven't had a ton of time with it but what I wrote was a couple of hours messing with it. I feel I got great results without alot of tweaking which is nice it just works well.

The Revv also allows the four cable method of cable routing so you can gate your guitar signal and gate your effects loop signals at the same time which for loop guys is another good feature to think about. I only do a simple two cable method input/output in front of the amp's input like a Dimebag setup so I can't comment on how the four cable setup works or sounds but alot of people use the method.

Last edited:
I got a Zuul+ a few months ago. It was between the Zuul+ and Revv8. The few extra features is why I went with the Zuul.

I also have a NS-2. It does change the sound slightly. It was never a issue for me.

I got a Zuul+ a few months ago. It was between the Zuul+ and Revv8. The few extra features is why I went with the Zuul.

I also have a NS-2. It does change the sound slightly. It was never a issue for me.
I think this was with the first couple Zuul designs that I am remembering. I'm sure Fortin has done some tweaking to the ZUUL+ to address the earlier issues. I wasn't going to pick up both to compare but the Zuul+ probably is on par with the Revv G8.

I see the Zuul+ has the Hold, Release adjustments as well as the Gate Threshold now like the Revv G8 so they are quite similar.

Maybe Fortin re-engineered Revv's design......................:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think this was with the first couple Zuul designs that I am remembering. I'm sure Fortin has done some tweaking to the ZUUL+ to address the earlier issues. I wasn't going to pick up both to compare but the Zuul+ probably is on par with the Revv G8.

I see the Zuul+ has the Hold, Release adjustments as well as the Gate Threshold now like the Revv G8 so they are quite similar.

Maybe Fortin re-engineered Revv's design......................:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I'm pretty sure they are both taken from the JCM800 gate.

Back