Rhodes Colossus - Killer "field report"

nwright

I rarely post on this forum, but I had to give my field report about the Rhodes Colossus.

I posted in Killertone's clip/vid thread over a month ago or so about his time spent with the Colossus and found out Kyle Rhodes would be running sound for my band as we ran through Lafayette, IN, where Kyle is based. Kyle was gracious enough to bring the Colossus to the venue and gave me a quick demo of what the amp can do...and then, best of all, he let me use the amp for my band's set.

I can say the Colossus is a KILLER amp. The clean channel was great, but I only had an EMG 81 loaded guitar to try it with. Channel 2 has a nice mid gain sound to it, but channels 3 and 4 are what did it for me. Both are voiced pretty similar with a little bit of a shift in what midrange frequencies they seemed to be centered around. I used channel 4 for our set and it had the most thump, low mid punch and more overall "wallup" (for a very apparent lack of a better term) than any amp I've ever played.

Coming from a rig that consists of a 6505+ on one side of the stage and a XXX on the other, I've grown used to - and quite like - the "peavey sound" in terms of high gain amps. They cut well and have a killer aggressive edge to them. It's always easy to NOT get buried in the stage mix. With the Colossus, though, I was able to cut just as well without the mids being honky, the highs being piercing, and no sight of any can of bees...I use these terms only because that's usually what Peavey detractors have to say about the amps I normally play...I, myself, like Peaveys more than any other high gain amp I've used up until last night, lol. The inherent sonic trademark of their amps are pretty much the gold standard among the genre in which my band resides. The Colossus has made me seriously rethink that notion, though. I had a smile on my face all set. I only wish I had the talent to make the amp shine! Thankfully Kyle introduced me to the music of Andy Wood, who used a Colossus for his lead tones, and he has the talent to REALLY make the amp shine.

All in all, thanks to Kyle for being very gracious in letting me try the amp and letting me use it for our show...Oh yeah, dudes a good sound guy to boot!

Seriously, the guy doesn't get enough love on gear forums...yet. Check Rhodes Amplification out!

Thanks for the awesome "field report" Nate! It was nice meeting and hanging out with you too. Your band is bad ass, and the highlight of the evening, IMO. I told Mark we need to book you again, hopefully you're willing to make the trek sometime again in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll have something else for you to try by then... :D

I saw a video from the night and it sounds pretty damn good, even for a camera mic:

Once I get the laptop booted back up I'll check out the multi-track audio and see how it sounds. It would be awesome to sync it up with the video work you already did!

BTW, I noticed the perma-smile on your face -- glad the amp was part of that! You're seriously a great player, you don't give yourself enough credit!

I can't stop thinking about the amp, haha! I could definitely get by with just that clean channel and channel 4 and be a VERY happy man!

protoplasma":1aakq6qf said:
Thanks for the awesome "field report" Nate! It was nice meeting and hanging out with you too. Your band is bad ass, and the highlight of the evening, IMO. I told Mark we need to book you again, hopefully you're willing to make the trek sometime again in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll have something else for you to try by then... :D

I saw a video from the night and it sounds pretty damn good, even for a camera mic:

Once I get the laptop booted back up I'll check out the multi-track audio and see how it sounds. It would be awesome to sync it up with the video work you already did!

BTW, I noticed the perma-smile on your face -- glad the amp was part of that! You're seriously a great player, you don't give yourself enough credit!

cool deal, I'd be interested to hear the multi-track audio! Actually, if I could get the individual tracks as stem files, I woud LOOOOVE to have those! I couldn't tell what program you were using, but fo real, let me know what it would take for me to get the raw individual multi tracks from our set!

We've been taking a few Kodak Zi8 HD cams with us to shows just to see what we can come up with. I usually use a Zoom audio recorder with them, but the battery died earlier in the day as we were taping a segment for a regional metal video show. The Zi8's have pretty decent mics built in and sometimes I think I prefer those to the Zoom, the Zoom units have an awesome and clear stereo sound, but sometimes it's almost too wide and throws the guitar or bass too much to 1 side since we are a 1 guitar band...I usually will re-master the audio when I edit the vids together to get it to sound the way I want. The Zi8's compress rather than clip/distort, so I usually have to Re-EQ the audio to bring back the frequencies pushed down by the compression.

nwright":34daegxa said:
I only wish I had the talent to make the amp shine!

Lol! I remember the days on the Institute of Noise boards back when you owned an HD147. You have always been a great player. Don't fool yourself.

gibson5413":vlaq0m65 said:
nwright":vlaq0m65 said:
I only wish I had the talent to make the amp shine!

Lol! I remember the days on the Institute of Noise boards back when you owned an HD147. You have always been a great player. Don't fool yourself.

:) Thanks. Man, the ION reference - a definite blast from the past!

I thought I'd bump this one more time. Here is another YT vid of the same song I posted before, but only with a mix of the board audio. Kyle was not only nice enough to bring his amp and run sound, he also multitrack records the bands' sets and sent me our set over the weekend, so I did a quick mix of the same song to get a more "real" feel of the Colossus under the mic. The mic was a 57 off the dust cap, edge of cone. For the sake of a better audio mix, I brightened the guitars a bit, as they were EQ'd for the room, which meant they were a little dark recorded. At any rate it's a neat comparo between room sound the video mics picked up and the actual board mix. I did some typical audio mixing stuff, kick and snare have sample augmentation (but no beat correction), toms are compressed and EQ'd (but no beat correction or samples), bass is compressed, EQ'd and a bit of OD added. Vocals have compression and a Distressor emu added for grind/color.

board mix:

video cam mic (I "mastered" this audio, though:)

here's another from that night...Still having dreams of the Colossus. I thought my feelings would wane, but alas...

Back