Rig-Talk, I am bored with my gear... "Join the club", right?

again with this

Does anyone else get pissed off about getting tired of their gear? I mean, I like so many others, have a good deal of money tied up in my rig. Lately, I am craving something... more.

I am one of maybe three (well two now, since thinkpad went AxeFX) people I know that have the setup I do. Alll Mesa Recto, all the time. Reording Pre>2:100> Stereo Recto 4x12cabs... Shouldn't that be enough? Most of the time I am happy with it all, but then, days like today, I think... "why do I have all this cash tied up in something that isn't everything I want it to be..?"

I am sorta thinking maybe I should just go back to a traditional, mono "head and cab" setup instead of the micro rack. I dunno.

Waddaya think?

The hard, cold reality is that there is absolutely nothing on the market that is everything someone wants. Well, there may be something for those few people who don't hang out here, but they don't know any better. I envy their ignorance.

Aside from all of that, get what you want and be happy. I have all sorts of different flavors over here on my end. I just fire up whatever I want depending on my mood.

Sometimes I think people just grow so accustomed to what they have and just need a small change of pace. Do you have any friends that you could trade rigs with for a few weeks? Maybe that'd be a way that you could try something else, and realize what you really loved about your rig again.

Yup...own a few different amps that get the different tones you dig.
Vox and Marshall covers me fine...need more variety???...try some pedals, I have at least 6 different overdrive/distortion pedals.
Same goes with guitars. I like to have different guitars with singles, doubles and P90 pickups.

I'm at a no gas point, but there's always something I would like to test out...to see if it is the 'end all/be all' piece of gear that people say it is. :D

don't look for an amp that does everything you want perfectly
it doesn't exist... find the amp that does the most things you want

i've realised this and i'm much happier and not gear hunting the way i used to :rock:

Lost count on guitars at around 15, yet I now find myself wanting an ESP Flying V of some sort. Fixed tail or string though, long as it has no trem. 1-EMG 81, 1-volume control.

Amps...started putting some away so I could move around in here. New Splawn Nitro back in the box, Elmwood and 3 Marshalls packed away in road cases. Only the Herbert, VH4 and Ubershcall out right now. Got an empty space for my Fortin Bones which should be here in a few days.

Cabs - 4-4x12's and one more new Diezel on the way.

Ugh.......fuck I am bored. So bored I am emailing back and forth with Bob Bradshaw about a custom switcher!

One of my favorite boredom activities is to switch back and forth each week from pedalboard to rack. One thing I have found out though is how many cycles various brands of velcro lasts!!!

Steve

Nope, I love what gear I have and feel pretty lucky that I can afford to hold onto it. As others have said I have different amps so tired of one I move to the next.

Digital Jams":qgjckc3q said:
Nope, I love what gear I have and feel pretty lucky that I can afford to hold onto it. As others have said I have different amps so tired of one I move to the next.

Plus, you got a Fortin modded 800 in the works....

Was thinking about sending Mike my Super Bass chassis to tinker with one of these days!

Steve

steve_k":280qicx5 said:
Digital Jams":280qicx5 said:

Plus, you got a Fortin modded 800 in the works....

Was thinking about sending Mike my Super Bass chassis to tinker with one of these days!

Steve

SLP :thumbsup: ;)

Shit, just my JVM and MK IV I have 7 different channels to screw with :D

I felt the same way about 8 months ago. For a change of pace, I bought a 7 string Ibanez on CL for a good price...a few weeks later sold my 6 stringers and bought another 7 and have been happy ever since. So many new chord voicings and scale runs to work out. It definitely took me out of the "rut".

guitarslinger":nypwfcse said:
Move your gear to a different room, get drunk, jam. :rock:

My wife hung curtains and some pictures in the music room. Now, I don't know whether to play 30/30-150 or take up sewing... :LOL: :LOL:

Steve

again with this":3381nwsh said:
Does anyone else get pissed off about getting tired of their gear? I mean, I like so many others, have a good deal of money tied up in my rig. Lately, I am craving something... more.

I am one of maybe three (well two now, since thinkpad went AxeFX) people I know that have the setup I do. Alll Mesa Recto, all the time. Reording Pre>2:100> Stereo Recto 4x12cabs... Shouldn't that be enough? Most of the time I am happy with it all, but then, days like today, I think... "why do I have all this cash tied up in something that isn't everything I want it to be..?"

I am sorta thinking maybe I should just go back to a traditional, mono "head and cab" setup instead of the micro rack. I dunno.

Waddaya think?

I no longer believe in a holy grail/one size fits all type amp anymore. Doesn't matter how expensive it is or how many channels it has either (imo).

Ever notice that a good percentage of people with only one amp never hold onto them that long? Even high $$$ ones? There are exceptions of course, but it seems that more have a revolving door of amps then don't. However good the amp they have is, they can't withstand the desire to hop on trends/flavor of the month that comes along.

You can slow down that cycle with multiple pieces.

psychodave":2vs8dfze said:
This is why I have 2 different Cameron modded MArshalls, and a bunch of other stock Marshalls and 10 4x12's. A simple cabinet change is usually goo enough for me...but I do go from one amp to the other for a "tone" change.
+1, I dont own any Camerons, but my heads and cabs are setup for very different sounds. the only swiss army knife I have would be the JVM. I guess it never really ends, I have been a gear whore for 30+ years. I actually ended up back where I started- with Marshalls. I went into the Boogie fold for about 15 years, and came back to them and finally decided any changes I needed usually had to do with my playing and techniques. The one thing that most of us need the most, is the one thing none of us can buy :aww: There are exceptions to this of course, we have some real players here, but most of us are the weakest link in our own setups

I don't get bored per se, I just like to have different flavors. I don't like to have many gear that does the same thing. For example, I have a VH4 that'll do it all, including the MEtal/hard rock. A Fender PRincton Reverb RI for tha' blues, and a Little Joe that'll do it all, for recording.

I always say I am done... and for no other reason other than GAS (not out of need) I want a Tyler burning water, a Deizel VH4, Bogner XTC classic and an Axe FX......

Now I just need money.... :LOL: :LOL:

I'm done with all that amp selling trading buying bs :yes:

I play like me and sound like me on most everything I play. That flavor of the week crap just is a waste of time and money imo. I've found my tone with my Quickrod rig and am not venturing off looking for something else...I'd rather spend my time and effort writing and playing instead

just my $.02 ;)

Sometimes it takes a while to ind your toe. But when you do, GAS really goes away. So, maybe you haven't really found your tone yet.

Back