Semi-old news... Whitesnake and Judas Priest last night

again with this

So, my buddy calls me up yesterday morning to tell me he has 4 free tix, and my name is on one of them. Later that day, another friend calls and offers me another 4 free tickets. I am thinking, "this show is going to suck if they're giving away that many tix". Free parking reinforced up my feeling that they would be bussing in the homeless just to fill the seats. We hook up in the evening, drive to the show, perfect timing. Sat down, in our surprisingly good seats for free, about 45 seconds before Whitesnake started.

For a band with one original member, Whitesnake rocked the house. Never saw them before and I was quite impressed. David Coverdale must be around 60 and still pulling the screams. I can say, Coverdale is holding on to his voice better than Robert Plant (closer to the same age) or Joe Elliot (20-ish years younger). For me, Doug Aldrich stole the show... the tone... the playing. The guy is the master of the "three finger tecnique". I saw some pinky flying, but it was mostly 3 finger. Reb Beach was good, but either didn't have the slice to his tone or got robbed in the mix. Sorry to say, Reb had tricks... whammy, two-hand tapping... but Aldrich owned. Oh the tone...

After a relatively short intermission to change stage, Judas Priest took the stage and played the entire British Steel album. I guess they have a newish record and the tour is the 30th anniversary of British Steel. For the first several songs, all I could think was, "Rob Halford looks old, stiff and half asleep. But, damn! This old man still has the screams too." I had forgotten how many good songs are on British Steel. By the end of the album, Halford seemed to have warmed up and was a little more interesting, opening his eyes occasionally. By contrast, the rest of Priest looked great for a bunch of old guys. KK Downing, in particular, was very animated (musta had a nice cortizone shot before going on).

Judas Priest must be one of the only bands still using Hamer guitars almost exclusively. I will give them having a signature sound, but yeesh! It sounded "ice picky" and over processed. I wouldn't be surprised if their tone was all digital. At the same time, it was about dead-on to the album tone.

Both bands had ridiculous amounts of delay on the vocals which washed out the rest of the music until the delay stopped.

All in all, it was a darn good time with friends and was very inspirational. I don't know how much the tickets cost, but I bet you could get passes if you poke around a little when they are in your town. Definately a show worth seeing.

Halford never took off his sun glasses when I saw them a few years back. Great voice but looking like he was just going thru the motions(bored)
But the tone was GREAT! Think that they are playing ENGLS these days right?
Helluva show I must add. Saw Priest several times and they always sound excellent.

my singer won free tickets last year as well... it was great. tons of echo on the vocals, but great ENGL guitar tone. it was the first time I would see them play tho.

When i saw Priest live about 3-4 years ago, they were using Rocktron rack preamps (Piranha?) into Marshall 100/100 tube Poweramps.

And i can agree with you guys saying 'Icepicky'. Definitely one of the worst tones i have heard live before!

I saw them earlier on in the tour and thought it was a fantastic show.

Aldrich's tone was significantly worse compared to Reb Beach the night I saw them. It had too much highs and bass.. which made it get lost in the mix. Reb's was slightly on the thin side but overall you could actually hear all the notes he was playing.

As far as priest... the tone worked for what they played. It was great.

abrackas":1gimfo5r said:
I saw them earlier on in the tour and thought it was a fantastic show.

Aldrich's tone was significantly worse compared to Reb Beach the night I saw them. It had too much highs and bass.. which made it get lost in the mix. Reb's was slightly on the thin side but overall you could actually hear all the notes he was playing.

As far as priest... the tone worked for what they played. It was great.

+1 :rock: Priest kicked ass...........

When I went to see Whitesnake last year both guitarists killed in every aspect, but Coverdale was lip syncing. It was a pretty bad act and the audience noticed easily causing someone to throw a watercup on stage which in turn pissed Coverdale of and made him and soon after the band leave the stage. He´s such a whiner...

Alice Cooper was next and he just killed, much better band then they guys in Whitesnake too and even though Alice Cooper is way old the show has everything a rock show should. :rock:

MrDan666":myh1ji4d said:
When i saw Priest live about 3-4 years ago, they were using Rocktron rack preamps (Piranha?) into Marshall 100/100 tube Poweramps.

And i can agree with you guys saying 'Icepicky'. Definitely one of the worst tones i have heard live before!

+1 to this. Yes, they were piranha's.

IMO Aldrich's tone has gone way downhill since his last Dio tour (Killing The Dragon, IIRC). I saw Whitesnake a few years ago with the Scorps and the Scorpions had way better guitar tone. Mattias was using Wizards and Rudolf was using ENGLs. Coverdale holds Aldrich way above Beach and it shows live...I thought Reb was great the night I saw them and should have had a little more of the spotlight. Aldrich nailed the Sykes stuff and even played a black LPC for a lot of it. All in all it was a great show. :thumbsup:

As far as Priest is concerned, I am a huge fan and think that their best tone was on Unleashed in the East. What a great record that is. :rock:

killertone":tcy7hh0y said:
IMO Aldrich's tone has gone way downhill since his last Dio tour (Killing The Dragon, IIRC). I saw Whitesnake a few years ago with the Scorps and the Scorpions had way better guitar tone. Mattias was using Wizards and Rudolf was using ENGLs. Coverdale holds Aldrich way above Beach and it shows live...I thought Reb was great the night I saw them and should have had a little more of the spotlight. Aldrich nailed the Sykes stuff and even played a black LPC for a lot of it. All in all it was a great show. :thumbsup:

As far as Priest is concerned, I am a huge fan and think that their best tone was on Unleashed in the East. What a great record that is. :rock:

I know what you mean about Doug's tone not being as good as it was previously! Unfortunately, im 99% positive that it is due to the way he is mixed in the PA. I know for a fact his mix in the PA when he played with Dio was completely different to how it is now. Im pretty sure even Doug himself said he preferred the mix he was getting, back when he was with Dio.

The tone coming out of the amps on stage is the same as it always has been, its just annoying that the soundman isnt capturing it so well!

MrDan666":2k8zfw4s said:
killertone":2k8zfw4s said:

I know what you mean about Doug's tone not being as good as it was previously! Unfortunately, im 99% positive that it is due to the way he is mixed in the PA. I know for a fact his mix in the PA when he played with Dio was completely different to how it is now. Im pretty sure even Doug himself said he preferred the mix he was getting, back when he was with Dio.

The tone coming out of the amps on stage is the same as it always has been, its just annoying that the soundman isnt capturing it so well!
I saw the Whitesnake / Scorps tour and had a different opinion. Dougs tone absolutely KILLED, one of the best I've ever heard. Scorps tone was icepicky as all hell and drilled holes through my ears, just bad!

Back