Semour Duncan colour info

halford

Does anyone know if Duncan do Humbuckers in a Cream / Creme colour?

I cant see on their site :confused:

Replacing Dizmarizo's in a guitar that are that colour

5599_DiMarzio_PAF_36th_Anniversary_Bridge_Cream_DP223CR_a.jpg

Thanks !!

Halford

I do not know if anything has changed, because other pickup makers openly do it now, but I think you used to have to "special order" double cream, from Duncan. It was suppose to be due to Dimarzio trying corner the market (years ago) on the double creams, or something. Anyway, I know you can special order them, but Duncan used to want to put an unsoldered cover on it, prior to shipping. The new owner could simply slide the cover off, and have a double cream humbucker, and Duncan was merely selling a covered humbucker.....and was not responsible for whatever color the bobbins were underneathe.

Wish I had a more definite answer for ya..

Short version of the story: they used to do it on some covered pickups, so they could be uncovered and then you'd have it. SD pulled Yngwie out from under Dimarzio, Dimarzio started clamping down on "their trademark." No more double creme from SD.

I've been a Duncan dealer for 18 years and we could always sneak a double cream or 12 into our orders if we got them with a cover on them that you could just slip off. It is totally a no go now. Everytime I order, I talk to a different sales guy and ask if they can do it. Like mentioned, Yngwie leaving DiMarzio to go to Duncan really ticked DiMarzio off and they are on the warpath now.

By the way, if you really want a double cream Duncan, send me a PM. It certainly won't be one they built in 2011, but I have my ways ;)

I have creme HB's in my guitar that were from 2002. Contact the Custom Shop. They should do it for you. Uncertain if there is an up-charge for this. I have been working with them for nearly 2 decades now. PM me.

50MkII":1duo7r8e said:
I have creme HB's in my guitar that were from 2002. Contact the Custom Shop. They should do it for you. Uncertain if there is an up-charge for this. I have been working with them for nearly 2 decades now. PM me.

In 2002, Yngwie was still happily with Dimarzio (and Dunkin Donuts), and Seymour Duncan wasn't officially building double creams but you could get them if you knew how to order and who to order from like I mentioned above. I've ordered thousands of pickups from Seymour Duncan. They just won't do it anymore, custom shop or otherwise.

Yeah--I heard it was a legal thing as well--Dimarzio had patented the double-cream with the Super Distortion so Duncan had to do Zebra or something else.

Back